Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+18
tinypantha
Hue
BigTuktuk
ChizFreak
dragonbeast6
PhlyingDutchman
ComaPrison
CaptanSpudsy
Serious_Much
Slarg232
Emergence
Infighter
Saturday-Saint
vereornox
Djem
Sloth9230
Buggy Virus
Oh_the_Humanity
22 posters

The use of Realistic Gore in DkSII

Oh_the_Humanity
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

The use of Realistic Gore in DkSII Empty The use of Realistic Gore in DkSII

Post by Oh_the_Humanity Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:59 pm

I think if implemented in a purely realistic way. Not over the top. Subtle and not forced upon the player. Like its supposed to be there. It would have to look as close to what would actually happen as From can do.
    So what do you guys think? Again, not over the top, not everytime you defeat an enemy, no getting chopped in half, just pure souls style realism.

Last edited by Oh_the_Humanity on Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Buggy Virus
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

The use of Realistic Gore in DkSII Empty Re: The use of Realistic Gore in DkSII

Post by Buggy Virus Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:07 am

It would be a nice flair, but wouldn't make a ton of sense. Being that you often hack at an enemy a ton, suddenly chopping directly through them when they finally died would look somewhat odd.

It would be really interesting if they implemented it perfectly though, like each strike left marks.
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Oh_the_Humanity Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:16 am

Buggy Virus wrote:It would be a nice flair, but wouldn't make a ton of sense. Being that you often hack at an enemy a ton, suddenly chopping directly through them when they finally died would look somewhat odd.

It would be really interesting if they implemented it perfectly though, like each strike left marks.

Yeah, it would have to be perfectly done or else it would look tacked on.
    I like the idea of each hit showing more damage until you finally land the deathly blow. But like I said before it wouldn't happen on every enemy. It would be a nice treat. Maybe if the kill was done a certain way.
    As long as they keep it as realistic as possible and keep it to a minimum it may work. I just dont want it to become a gimmick, it has to be a natural part of the game.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : In the Forest, casting the spells that make the gankers fall down

Post by Sloth9230 Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:17 am

As long as it wasn't over the top, I wouldn't mind at all. Maybe make it so that healing recovers visible wounds?

Instead of seeing your opponents health bar you could see physical damage or something? Not sure how that would look on phantoms but ehh.
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Oh_the_Humanity Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:19 am

Sloth9230 wrote:As long as it wasn't over the top, I wouldn't mind at all. Maybe make it so that healing recovers visible wounds?

Instead of seeing your opponents health bar you could see physical damage or something?

Now thats an interesting idea. It would allow for more immersion by having less of a UI. I did like how dead space make use of that kind of UI. But Im not sure if it fits with a souls game. Great idea though.
    Djem
    Djem
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Djem Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:23 am

Yes, I want to see more blood. Blood on the enemy, blood on my weapons and clothes. It's supposed to be a depressing game, after all.
    vereornox
    vereornox

Post by vereornox Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:38 am

It would be awesome, you know that an enemy is dead when you cut off is head

but I don't think it's something that actual consoles can manage
    Saturday-Saint
    Saturday-Saint
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Saturday-Saint Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:15 am

No thanks.
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Oh_the_Humanity Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:49 pm

vereornox wrote:It would be awesome, you know that an enemy is dead when you cut off is head

but I don't think it's something that actual consoles can manage

Maybe, but I think it would lose its charm if it was done every time on every enemy. I would have to be something that was done occasionally, not every time.
    Infighter
    Infighter
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Infighter Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:31 pm

Dent Marks on armor when you got hit by heavy weapons. Or when you get BS'ed you would drop piece of equipment on floor in cosmetic way, not losing stats, I have never seen something like that. Gore isn't really needed in Souls game
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:57 pm

For some reason, as brutal and violent as this game is, gore just does not jive in my mind. It seems like it would shift the focus from overcoming to killing.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:46 pm

I just don't want to see God of War or Dante's Inferno level of gore. That being said, if I kill you with a greatsword then I kind of expect you to be cut in half silly Before fading away back to the last bonfire.
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:40 pm

I'm going to have to vote Nay. It would look a little too cartoony, no matter how well done it was.
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Oh_the_Humanity Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:21 pm

Slarg232 wrote:I'm going to have to vote Nay. It would look a little too cartoony, no matter how well done it was.

You just contradicted yourself. If it was done well it wouldnt look cartoony. You guys arent reading the first post. I clearly stated it wouldnt work unless it was done subtle not everytime and to look like its not shoved in your face. Like its supposed to be threre.
    I do understand why people are reluctant, its just hard for me to relate exactly what Im thinking/seeing in my mind. Another thing is it would all depend on what armor your wearing too.
    In all honestly I can pretty much say with confidence that From will definitely not put gore in the next souls game, but thats why I love these forums. You never know what someone else is thinkn'
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Oh_the_Humanity Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:26 pm

Sloth9230 wrote:I just don't want to see God of War or Dante's Inferno level of gore. That being said, if I kill you with a greatsword then I kind of expect you to be cut in half silly Before fading away back to the last bonfire.

Of course not, man. That what I was describing in my post. Not to over the top, done very subtly.
    I honestly like your idea of seeing the "gore" as they fade away. I do like alot how DkS made enemies dissapear after killing them.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:27 pm

I don't think gore is really necessary, maybe a bit more blood spattering from attacks could be effective, make each blow be as visually meaningful as it is for progress.

Getting chopped in half though would switch emphasis from importance of landing blows to unnecessary cinematic effects.
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Oh_the_Humanity Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:31 pm

Infighter wrote:Dent Marks on armor when you got hit by heavy weapons. Or when you get BS'ed you would drop piece of equipment on floor in cosmetic way, not losing stats, I have never seen something like that. Gore isn't really needed in Souls game

Now these ideas I really like. Droping a weapon and having to switch weapons or go and pick up the one you dropped is a great idea. I believe there was a fighting game that did that back in the day. I wished in DkS that you had to physically carry the Lordvessel to Firelink Altar. It would slow your movement down and you would have to carry it with two hands so you would be forced to put it down and pick it up every time you had to fight an enemy. That kind of **** would be cool. I do agree with you feelings on "Gore isn't really needed in Souls game" Gore the way youve always seen it before in games doesnt belong in a souls game, but I believe it could be done tastefully and not be the main focus, like its supposed to be there.
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Oh_the_Humanity Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:34 pm

Serious_Much wrote:I don't think gore is really necessary, maybe a bit more blood spattering from attacks could be effective, make each blow be as visually meaningful as it is for progress.

Getting chopped in half though would switch emphasis from importance of landing blows to unnecessary cinematic effects.

Man, nobody read my post. I didnt say anything about being chopped in half. Very subtle gore. Nothing over the top. Anyways. I still understand why no one wants gore. Im a die-hard souls fan. So trust me I get it. Its just the way Im seein' it in my mind would for shure work in a souls game. IMO
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:48 pm

I'm actually trying to think of games with realistic scrapes, cuts and whatnot, though I can't seem to remember any 😕

Personally I don't think dismemberment is that distracting though, it never bothered me in Fallout. Except for maybe how easy it was to do. A head shot should leave a hole in your head, not just rip the whole damn thing off. :|
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:01 pm

Sloth9230 wrote:I'm actually trying to think of games with realistic scrapes, cuts and whatnot, though I can't seem to remember any 😕

Personally I don't think dismemberment is that distracting though, it never bothered me in Fallout. Except for maybe how easy it was to do. A head shot should leave a hole in your head, not just rip the whole damn thing off. :|

Go watch a video of BloodForge, and tell me it's not distracting silly
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:06 pm

Just the name already makes me expect over the top gore.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:12 pm

Oh_the_Humanity wrote:
    Serious_Much wrote:I don't think gore is really necessary, maybe a bit more blood spattering from attacks could be effective, make each blow be as visually meaningful as it is for progress.

Man, nobody read my post. I didnt say anything about being chopped in half. Very subtle gore. Nothing over the top. Anyways. I still understand why no one wants gore. Im a die-hard souls fan. So trust me I get it. Its just the way Im seein' it in my mind would for shure work in a souls game. IMO

I wasn't replying to your post, I was stating opinion on the topic of whether more gore would be good or not, apologies for the confusion, but people will generally quote if they respond to you.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:15 pm

It's kind of his thread though... which would make all replies to the thread a response to him, unless you're quoting someone else.
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Oh_the_Humanity
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Oh_the_Humanity Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:29 pm

Serious_Much wrote:
    Oh_the_Humanity wrote:

I wasn't replying to your post, I was stating opinion on the topic of whether more gore would be good or not, apologies for the confusion, but people will generally quote if they respond to you.

No worries man, I wasnt upset with you comment or anything, sorry if it cam across like that. I shouldnt have assumed since you didnt quote me.
    CaptanSpudsy
    CaptanSpudsy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by CaptanSpudsy Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:06 pm

I think that hits should leave cuts and dents on armour. For instance, a hit on a cloth type armour would slash through the cloth and cut your chars skin with varying levels of damage. Using an Estus or some other healing item would cause the wounds and armour to glow orange-ish then close.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:24 am