Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
Spurgun
Slarg232
Tristan
7 posters

Reason's Why Episode II

Tristan
    Tristan
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Reason's Why Episode II Empty Reason's Why Episode II

Post by Tristan Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:20 pm

Hello forum goer and welcome to a thread I like to call "Reasons Why?" and in this thread we will discuss many topics concerning balance, aesthetics, and overall implementation of certain aspects the game is designed to accommodate. We will explain various reason why people like and dislike certain aspects and what had drawn them into such a conclusion. Perhaps even, open up a few eyes and shed some light on a few things.

Today's Topic!

Armor Weight

After a somewhat controversial topic in episode I, I decided to lighten the mood a little. Today we will talk about armor and weight. For the most part I agree with a lot of the armor and how it is setup, but there are a few exceptions. First of all, I don't think I should have to level up to 700+ to use the heaviest armors. It kind of ruins some of the fun to building fatties. Secondly, I would like to mention a few examples of improper weight to defense values. This is all opinion.

The Great Lord set definitely weighs way to much for it being a robe. it's defense values aren't exactly Sl.120 material either. I feel the same way about sets like sage's. Some good ones are the elite, paladin and Xanthous sets.

I will only vaguely mention shields as being almost perfectly balanced.

TBC...

Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Reason's Why Episode II Empty Re: Reason's Why Episode II

Post by Slarg232 Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:06 pm

Why do you say you wish you didn't have to level to 700+ to use the larger armors? They are supposed to weigh you down, that's why they give so much defense silly
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:11 pm

I don´t wear armor. I think it´s more fun to fight naked.
    But not wearing armor makes you realize how important it is. Everything does ridiculous damage to you when you´re naked.

TBC?
    VeranoChico
    VeranoChico
    Casual
    Casual

Post by VeranoChico Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:19 pm

If you want to be mobile in heavy armor, simply have considerably high endurance and the DWGR equipped. You'll be cartwheeling in Havel's like it's nothing!
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:23 pm

Which is the problem. With all that poise you shouldn´t need to be cartwheeling around. You could just tank a hit a stunlock them. That´s how it´s supposed to go. But several mechanics hinder this.
    VeranoChico
    VeranoChico
    Casual
    Casual

Post by VeranoChico Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:40 pm

Many players will take any opportunity they can to gain some sort of advantage.
    That being said the DWGR is high up in popularity due to its equip load effect.

Would the game be better off if the DWGR was either removed from the game or kept only the cartwheeling effect?

Oh and being more on topic, my opinion is that of course a person isn't meant to be jumping around so easily in heavy armor. If you're making a fatty, you're not going to be sprinting like you're an in the Olympics.

In terms of defense values for armors, I don't have much knowledge on the matter to have an opinion. I mainly wear armor for the looks.
    Tristan
    Tristan
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Tristan Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:31 pm

I just want to see more fatties on the battlefield. TBC= To Be Continued...And I don't think ninja flipping should be an option in fatty armor
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:32 am

Two things I think primarily are responsible for the discontent players feel about armor. Both relating weight actually.

First. light armor is double penalized.

Second. DWGR throws the one upside of light armor out a window.

The introduction of poise as a stat and it's tendancy to have higher values on heavier armor sets means light armor not only takes more damage from a hit, but in PvP specifically taking a hit is a much bigger deal than it is with heavier armor. The one upside to light armor (the fast roll / run) is stripped away by the DWGR as it becomes available to heavier armors as well.
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:36 am

Jansports wrote:Two things I think primarily are responsible for the discontent players feel about armor. Both relating weight actually.

First. light armor is double penalized.

Second. DWGR throws the one upside of light armor out a window.

The introduction of poise as a stat and it's tendancy to have higher values on heavier armor sets means light armor not only takes more damage from a hit, but in PvP specifically taking a hit is a much bigger deal than it is with heavier armor. The one upside to light armor (the fast roll / run) is stripped away by the DWGR as it becomes available to heavier armors as well.

Which is why light armor uses tend to fetch the wolf ring and mix light and medium sets to get both the fast roll and hit poise break points.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:46 am

IE, the poise system needs work. I'll agree there. Especially in regard to heavy weapons. No matter what you hit me with, you're not stopping my naked dudes greataxe crushing your skull once he's started the swing. Even if he dies, the weight of the axe is too much to stop by killing him.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:46 am