Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+24
omega Elf
Jansports
martyrsbrigade99
Gaxe
ROOSTER330
Tolvo
Ghadis_God
DoughGuy
>Brave<
KomradDakka
ViralEnsign_
Carphil
Rudmed
swordiris
WyrmHero
PaPaSmVrf
Buggy Virus
Kirk-Barb
IV_Mark_VI
FruitPunchNinja
Spurgun
Rin
Juutas
passivefamiliar
28 posters

stunlocking. yay or nay?

Gaxe
    Gaxe
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

stunlocking. yay or nay? - Page 2 Empty Re: stunlocking. yay or nay?

Post by Gaxe Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:41 am

Honestly i like stunlocking I feel it would happen if someone hit me with a GS/UGS and if you let yourself get hit by a UGS you deserved to die anyhow lol. There's really only 3 things I see wrong with this game. 1v1 BSing, DWGR, and ganking. (Also glitches but that's obvious).
    Juutas
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Juutas Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:49 am

Spurgun wrote:
    Spurgun wrote:That´s why there is poise. But the whole poise system still needs work.
    I think stunlocking is fair, i do it a lot when i use a weapon suited for it. All you need to do to counter stunlocking is to have a shield up, and if they try to break your guard then you can parry them.

@Juutas. How would you remove stunlocking from the game? I´m curious of how you do it successfully.

Yeah it's tricky thing to do, but doable.
    I think stun weapons should stun, but not stunlock, this means in trading of attacks the one with the stun weapon would win the trade when the other player couldn't land his/her hit, but it shouldn't be possible to continue spamming R1 until opponent is either dead or lost 90% of his/her hp.
    If there would be no stunlocking we would see lot more variety of armor choices and this is only a good thing.
    They could also add more dmg for heavy weapons to make up the loss (although I think weapons like Claymore and MLGS are ridicilously good weapons even without stunlocking).

EDIT: OR JUST FIX THE GODDAMN DWGR!!! big grin
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:56 am

I would never use a GS again if they couldn´t stunlock, same goes for all big weapons.
    See, the point of dex weapons is that they´re fast, you can keep draining you enemies health while they can´t hit you. But if they do hit you then they do a -lot- of damage. Strength weapons are hard to play with as it is.

Also. Fixing the DWGR would remove/change most of the "cheap" arguments on this forum.
    Juutas
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Juutas Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:02 am

Spurgun wrote:I would never use a GS again if they couldn´t stunlock, same goes for all big weapons.
    See, the point of dex weapons is that they´re fast, you can keep draining you enemies health while they can´t hit you. But if they do hit you then they do a -lot- of damage. Strength weapons are hard to play with as it is.

Also. Fixing the DWGR would remove/change most of the "cheap" arguments on this forum.

I used Claymore for a while without stunlockin (max 2 hits in a row) and it still kicked ***... but
    maybe this all just ends up being that ring's fault again. Seriously if they are not going to fix that ring I'm going to rage, it is just so obviously broken that fromsoft has to do something about it.
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:05 am

Yeah. But i´m a dragon, i play naked. So if you let me stunlock you then i sure as hell am going to stunlock you. I take all the (fair) advantages i can.
    Juutas
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Juutas Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:22 am

Spurgun wrote:Yeah. But i´m a dragon, i play naked. So if you let me stunlock you then i sure as hell am going to stunlock you. I take all the (fair) advantages i can.

I also play naked (except saturdays, that is my armor day) not in a dragon form though big grin
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:49 am

If you´re gonna play naked then you should look awesome while doing it silly
    Juutas
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Juutas Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:37 am

I look totally awesome with my pale buttcheeks : (
    martyrsbrigade99
    martyrsbrigade99
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by martyrsbrigade99 Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:05 am

passivefamiliar wrote:Ok. First consider this. Invading someone for the purpose of invading, there are no rules. No honor. Just kill or be killed. But. When your waiting for a fight, obviously dueling. Or at the kiln or even the burg. Waiting. I feel there should be honor and fair play. So where does stunlocking fall? You can avoid it to a good degree, but i try not to stunlock. I even have a bkga build. I'll hit you twice, and roll away becuase i do not want to stunlock you. I feel its cheap. Opinions?

Because you can defend against it, either by having enough poise, weapon swapping, or parry, I don't think it is cheap. I think the players just really need to learn how to counter these things. Granted, it's annoying if you are the one who is being stun locked. However, it should serve as motivation for the player to learn how to prevent or counter it.
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:43 pm

Stunlocking becomes a very interesting mechanic once both parties are accustomed to each other. Player A uses a weapon capable of stunlocking, Player B has learned to toggle/parry. Now when player A hits player B he has a choice, R1 and perhaps chop his health down or perhaps eat a riposte or hesitate and bait the parry in order to potentially punish, which might just let B off the hook for free if B chooses to not risk the parry this time.

It adds a neat little mindgame. I like that.

I don't like that a lot of players can't participate in this particular battle of wits for various reasons (most commonly not being able to or being unaware of toggle escapes)
    passivefamiliar
    passivefamiliar
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by passivefamiliar Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:49 pm

I hate that DWGR came into discussion. I hate that ring. Its the most gamebreaking thing that didnt get fixed that needs to be patched with the DLC coming out. Take the ring out of the game flat out. Or make it at least not stack with halves/wolf ring. At the very least. I hate getting stunlocked when it was a mother flipping havle the giant bkga insta porting backstabbing pyro. I lose alot. ALOT. But when it is a fair fight without flipping fishing for backstabs im ok with it.

Stunlocking is just such a grey area for me. I refuse to do it. Even when i could win by doing so. I even got a few messages asking 'why didnt you finish me off?' My reply is always that i want to have a good fun fight. Not a empty win. And it usually nets me a new friend. The true souls community is a good group of people. Anyone who likes fair play feel free to contact me. Or i'll see you in game.

Im soooo anxious for the dlc. The possible patches that could be coming...all fan based rumor. But still.
    Rudmed
    Rudmed
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Rudmed Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:54 pm

It adds a neat little mindgame. I like that.

I don't like that a lot of players can't participate in this particular battle of wits for various reasons (most commonly not being able to or being unaware of toggle escapes)

It is mind games, and when try to parry me I try to psych them out. I just slowly walk up and stand inches from them waiting for them to either attack me and get smacked back, or parry spam. Either or I switch to miracles/pyromancy to get them to drop their shield.
    omega Elf
    omega Elf
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by omega Elf Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:33 pm

YAY. I mean, come on.. what else have these weapons got available
    to them but stun-lock. I can dodge around them all day dealing
    damage, I can also turtle them and very often parry them; So if they
    do manage to catch you in a Lock, then that's your own damn fault
    for not have the skill or equipment to avoid it.

Because seriously, if you must insist on going into battle with NO
    armor, or very crappy armor, or very little poise, or s**t mobility,
    you can't then complain when you get stun-locked.

If getting stun-locked is really that big an issue to someone, then my
    only advice, is to get yourself past the 76 poise threshold, and equip
    dwgr. That, or get good at toggle-escape, either work fine; But
    expecting someone who's Locked you, to just let you escape is
    just plain lol.
    Maneater_Mildred
    Maneater_Mildred
    Chat Moderator

Post by Maneater_Mildred Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:39 pm

Juutas wrote:Stunlock definitely falls into cheapest & easiest-gategory imo.
    It's ridiciliously easy to pull off and just supports that spam the R1 = victory that every housewife with MLGS has in mind when they do some PvP.
    Should be removed from the game, no attack should be instant kill.
    There is the toggle-trick to get out of it, but sometimes it just doesn't work.
    I'm a housewife and demand satisfaction good sir *slaps juutas with a glove* name your weapons and the time and place..... No MLGS I guess. silly

N_Raist
    N_Raist
    Casual
    Casual

Post by N_Raist Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:48 pm

You can block, you can parry, you can dodge, you can go with some poise...

What is the point of using an ultraweapon if it has no stunlock? Yeah, you can hit me with an ultramegagodlygreataxe, but I will hit you seven times with a DMBed falchion. Well, I would find it stupid and unbalanced. If you can tank every hit while doing about 10000x its damage, ultraweapons (not claymores; bigger ones) have no point in this game.

As some others said, no DWGR is the answer. You should have to choose between maximum mobility (feels like I'm wearing nothing at all!) and tanking whatever they throw at you. With DWGR, you must face the damn flipping tanks :V
    lordgodofhell
    lordgodofhell
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by lordgodofhell Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:42 pm

Really good opinions and views in these 3 pages!

My personal view on stun locking is that it is ok to do. Consider it a reward for choosing a heavy, Strength based weapon that is ridiculously easy to parry/rip.

If a player spams R1 than it is likely they are new to pvp, so we can't expect a noob to use advanced tactics when they have not had the time nor experience to effectively use them.

Also one can have 53 poise and avoid a one hit stun from great weapons. 76 will avoid stuns from the dreaded BKGA. If you are 0 poise Strength build, casting Havels shield buff (requires 34 strength 2 handed) will result in the "Stunlock ****" becoming stunned when they hit you!

Other tactics include ranging them with pyro/magic when they go for their 3 hit combos.

Poking them behind a shield can wittle them down as well.

So, with these options put forth, stunlocking no longer becomes a problem to us.

johnnyjwa
    johnnyjwa
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by johnnyjwa Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:58 pm

If you get yourself stunlocked it's your fault. It's easy to avoid, just don't be overly aggressive against people with gs and ultra gs.
    Juutas
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Juutas Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:31 am

Maneater_Mildred wrote:
    It's ridiciliously easy to pull off and just supports that spam the R1 = victory that every housewife with MLGS has in mind when they do some PvP.
    I'm a housewife and demand satisfaction good sir *slaps juutas with a glove* name your weapons and the time and place..... No MLGS I guess. silly

Haha, sorry if I hurt your feelings : D
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:36 am

Juutas wrote:
    Maneater_Mildred wrote:

Haha, sorry if I hurt your feelings : D

Im in agreement with you man...... there is no reason to pick any other weapon other than greatswords ..... R1 to the win.....
    Maneater_Mildred
    Maneater_Mildred
    Chat Moderator

Post by Maneater_Mildred Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:33 am

Lol juutas, it's ok, I would have to have feelings for you to hurt them. I just wanted to make it clear that not all housewives are MLGS spammers.

Carry on.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 8:23 pm