Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+20
nsane32
HelmHammerhand
jagger_1243
Tolvo
Back Lot Basher
SATLOS
meridam99
Forum Pirate
lucanious
sids09
stale
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
Herbo
Oh_the_Humanity
RANT
Serious_Much
Liff Daddy
DxV04
User
DarkSect
24 posters

Dark Souls sequel or rather a new "Souls" game

Herbo
    Herbo
    Regular
    Regular

Dark Souls sequel or rather a new "Souls" game - Page 3 Empty Re: Dark Souls sequel or rather a new "Souls" game

Post by Herbo Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:59 pm

It'd be cool to have to bind a demon or something by defeating it and then have that be your new spawn location. Sort of twist the fire-keeper idea into a darker thing. Then you could actually interact with the 'bonfire' as an NPC as well. I'd like to earn my bonfires like you have to unlock the arch-stones, but without having to teleport to a central nexus as I like the open world motif of DkS.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Dark Souls sequel or rather a new "Souls" game - Page 3 Empty Re: Dark Souls sequel or rather a new "Souls" game

Post by Serious_Much Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:04 pm

Herbo wrote:It'd be cool to have to bind a demon or something by defeating it and then have that be your new spawn location. Sort of twist the fire-keeper idea into a darker thing. Then you could actually interact with the 'bonfire' as an NPC as well. I'd like to earn my bonfires like you have to unlock the arch-stones, but without having to teleport to a central nexus as I like the open world motif of DkS.

What would it be then? the checkpoints would be demons remains or something?

Would they be just for bosses or for less powerful things too? i think that there should be more than just checkpoints after each boss but in the level too. Especially since the levels will just get bigger in the next game i think.
    DarkSect
    DarkSect

Post by DarkSect Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:12 pm

Herbo wrote:It'd be cool to have to bind a demon or something by defeating it and then have that be your new spawn location. Sort of twist the fire-keeper idea into a darker thing. Then you could actually interact with the 'bonfire' as an NPC as well. I'd like to earn my bonfires like you have to unlock the arch-stones, but without having to teleport to a central nexus as I like the open world motif of DkS.

Now we are about to realize how hard it is to come up with something new.
    I would totally agree with a new souls game but a sequel with major improvements would do it either for now.
    To unlock a checkpoint by defeating a boss, which are all linked together in a vast open world sounds great in my opinion.
    But
    there has to be something between cause there is nothing worse getting
    from one boss to another, dying during the fight just to respawn at the
    last boss checkpoint. That sounds more like an upgraded nexus style
    thing just without the hub.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:13 pm

DarkSect wrote:

Now we are about to realize how hard it is to come up with something new.
    I would totally agree with a new souls game but a sequel with major improvements would do it either for now.
    To unlock a checkpoint by defeating a boss, which are all linked together in a vast open world sounds great in my opinion.
    But
    there has to be something between cause there is nothing worse getting
    from one boss to another, dying during the fight just to respawn at the
    last boss checkpoint. That sounds more like an upgraded nexus style
    thing just without the hub.

....so what you're saying is go with my idea? silly
    Herbo
    Herbo
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Herbo Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:17 pm

I think the "bound bonfire demons" in my idea would be centered around open world monsters that were a cut above the rank and file. The equivalent, in scope of power, of like the Hellkite Drake, the Hydras, maybe on down to the scale of enemies like the Black Knights, etc. But also wrap some NPC interaction around them so that once you defeated them you got to talk to their enslaved spirit/corpose/form and rest up a bit.

"Heya there pal. Terribly sorry about the whole crucifixion thing...let's chat a bit eh?"

edit: and yeah pretty much what we're all agreeing to in triplicate here big grin
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:20 pm

lol crucifixion thing XD then it would be "you exorcised" instead of defeated bosses silly

maybe though even black phantom versions of enemies contain npc's and stuff? kinda like the golden golems.

I think that would be a good idea, and it encourages availability of more sidequests which i think is one area which could greatly improve souls games.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:29 pm

Obviously, it needs Twenty Minute cut scenes that explains to me the impact of Lautrec's father on his life, and why some character in the background is actually a god even though he doesn't do anything.

Really though, I'd actually like to see less cut scenes. I'm not saying, "Ah there's too many!" I'd just prefer fewer, some I find to be a bit unnecessary. Bell Ringing and Queelag's long chest shot come to mind.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:33 pm

lol nah i think cutscenes are okay, they're not even long so i dont really mind silly

I think that more cutscenes might even be welcome.. i wouldn't say no to one for every boss if I'm honest.
    SATLOS
    SATLOS
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by SATLOS Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:37 pm

Tolvo wrote:Really though, I'd actually like to see less cut scenes. I'm not saying, "Ah there's too many!" I'd just prefer fewer, some I find to be a bit unnecessary. Bell Ringing and Queelag's long chest shot come to mind.

Not the Bell Ringing!? How else am I supposed to check out my naked character?

lol!
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:41 pm

Although, come to think of it. While a cutscene is playing, there is a start button...

Forget my above idea, a better one. Hardcore mode, you cannot save and die in three hours. A test to see just how far you can get! Speedrunners would probably love it, but I can't even fathom how to possibly balance that. Maybe it should be called "Harder Core" mode.
    jagger_1243
    jagger_1243
    Casual
    Casual

Post by jagger_1243 Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:56 pm

i think a a 2nd dark souls would be awesome. i feel the gaps in this game left me wondering about a lot more then i knew. but dont get me wrong, i love this game and have played it since the begining and if they made a hole new game i would love it so.
    meridam99
    meridam99

Post by meridam99 Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:17 pm

What about to light a particular bonfire, you have to have the appropriate flame. Example:

Walk up to a bonfire in say "Dragonspire Mountains" you try to light it and you get a message that "Dragon Heart Flame" is needed to light the bonfire before it is used.
    DarkSect
    DarkSect

Post by DarkSect Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:04 pm

meridam99 wrote:What about to light a particular bonfire, you have to have the appropriate flame. Example:

Walk up to a bonfire in say "Dragonspire Mountains" you try to light it and you get a message that "Dragon Heart Flame" is needed to light the bonfire before it is used.

Not a bad idea, but would´nt this be a little confusing as you would spent a great amount of time searching the appropiate "key" to light the fitting bonfire?
    Sure, this could be big part of exploring but it would distract the player a little from the main quest.
    HelmHammerhand
    HelmHammerhand
    Casual
    Casual

Post by HelmHammerhand Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:08 pm

Is it possible that the games are already connected? That Lordran is the underworld of Boletaria. Which would make Dark Souls a loose sequel. Just guessing, I haven't played Demon's and have just bought Dark Souls.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:13 pm

DarkSect wrote:
    meridam99 wrote:What about to light a particular bonfire, you have to have the appropriate flame. Example:

Not a bad idea, but would´nt this be a little confusing as you would spent a great amount of time searching the appropiate "key" to light the fitting bonfire?
    Sure, this could be big part of exploring but it would distract the player a little from the main quest.

problem with this idea is that above and also rather than forcing exploring, it would actually take away form the freedom of exploring. What if you couldn't access valley of drakes without required soul? or couldnt go the back way into darkroot forest?

there needs to be freedom to get lost and killed, the key idea would limit that and make our lives easier to be honest, not what any of us want from a souls game is it?
    nsane32
    nsane32
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by nsane32 Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:18 pm

in a new souls game I just want to see a pvp are where you can be matched up with teams and make it easier to fight in pvp as a high lvl but still have random invasions
    DarkSect
    DarkSect

Post by DarkSect Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:19 pm

Serious_Much wrote:
    DarkSect wrote:

problem with this idea is that above and also rather than forcing exploring, it would actually take away form the freedom of exploring. What if you couldn't access valley of drakes without required soul? or couldnt go the back way into darkroot forest?

there needs to be freedom to get lost and killed, the key idea would limit that and make our lives easier to be honest, not what any of us want from a souls game is it?

....so what you're saying is go with my idea? Mr. Much silly
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:20 pm

haha, yes i suppose i am, I like the whole kill boss/mini boss to get checkpoint idea though.
    Herbo
    Herbo
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Herbo Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:51 pm

I'd like it if covenants were more binding in future Souls games such that betrayal becomes a terrible idea (nothing that would prevent a player from succeeding, but definitely something a noobie would be like...gah I can't believe I did that when I first played).

Think about it, if characters were limited to a single covenant in a given playthrough, it would make those organisations take more of a prominent position in the development of a character and likely how they interacted in online play. As it is in DkS, covenants are cool, but by the end of that first NG you've likely broken several covenants and then just payed down the sin or welcomed the invaders with open arms. It would also give the covenants more of a reason to reward dedicated service. You should actually get cool stuff for donating 80 items your covenant likes with rewards of unique upgrade materials, spells, weapons, items, more shortcuts, etc. Maybe even reward players for continuing their service to the covenant in NG+ and beyond. I think a level 200 character that has been a [insert covenant name here] for three solid playthroughs of the game should be able to have stuff that other players will lust after and be a visible totem of their dedication.
    stale
    stale

Post by stale Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:37 pm

DarkSect wrote:Would you guys prefer something like the bonfire system or maybe something like the nexus?
    If you could decide, what idea would you have in mind concerning the checkpoints/respawn system for a new game or a sequel in the future?

Well it's two basic types of systems that have been tried-and-true in RPGs for a long time. You have the hub system which is common in older style games like Wizardry, Shining in the Darkness and Etrian Odyssey, and then you have the free-roaming sort which was always common, I think, to Ultima, Zelda, etc. -- so it really just depends on how well they're implemented. I'd say the Nexus may have been a LITTLE better implemented than the campfires in Dark, but they both work well. There's nothing quite like finding a fire in the middle of the cave after a hard fight and you think you can't make it back -- honestly what I'd add is more randomness, a little, not too much to mess it up, but occasional spawning enemies (both hard and easy) -- this would make backtracking less of a walk in the park when you know you've already cleared out the enemies there.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:19 am

your hub-ish area could be a subterranean grave where you hang out in soul form and from there can reanimate a corpse in your image at particular locations throughout the world some of which could be made by killing special monsters (use bits of the resulting corpse to make body). Npc's would help you after you kill their human form and enslave their souls to your hub area (every trainer and some merchants must be murdered in the world above prior to being able to use their abilitys) that way to get a hub area merchant you could actually KILL patches instead of sparing the bastard for his merchant capacity.
    DarkSect
    DarkSect

Post by DarkSect Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:53 am

Last night i got an idea. How about an item called "The bonfire-sword". Placing it where you want, coming with a number of limited uses which must be earned that is. It´s just an idea and still has need of improvement.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:00 am

DarkSect wrote:Last night i got an idea. How about an item called "The bonfire-sword". Placing it where you want, coming with a number of limited uses which must be earned that is. It´s just an idea and still has need of improvement.

problem is that would make things way too easy.. you could just set it down to heal and farm uses of it otherwise the uses would be too scarce if not available easy(ish)..
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:02 am

DarkSect wrote:Last night i got an idea. How about an item called "The bonfire-sword". Placing it where you want, coming with a number of limited uses which must be earned that is. It´s just an idea and still has need of improvement.

That would be amazing! I invade a world, Stab someone with it. Every time I die I invade them! Humanity and souls here I come! I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just that was the first thing I would think of trying with such an item haha.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:04 am

Oh i think i got the best refinement for it:

you cannot use it if hollow/soul form whatever, to become human again, you invade someones world, kill them and become human, thus being able to save.

(yes i did just take the invasion mechanic from demons, what you gonna do silly)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 3:56 pm