Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
Purplebuds
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
DxV04
JY4answer
strangejoy
deathsdragon
Brokewilly
ted1023
12 posters

Why all the hate for Forest host?

ted1023
    ted1023
    Addicted
    Addicted

Why all the hate for Forest host? Empty Why all the hate for Forest host?

Post by ted1023 Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:18 am

I can understand the hate for the jumpers. I moonlight as a host quite often when the hunting is slow and a couple of times I admit have had a to summon help when I see the 3vs1 happening a little to often even in those times after a few battles I try to wave off my partner cause the jumping in on a battle starts to get on my nerves, But I was thinking if there wasn't any host what would all the hunters do? play hopscotch?

I see post after post bashing host or campers or farmers and I have never seen one person admit they host other than me..maybe I haven't really looked… but I know them bastids are out there cause there's a lot of fighting going on and I know it isn't all me..lol. I actually have 2 question why all the hate for the host cause without them the forest can get pretty boring and second where are all the host..come out of hiding ya bastids..lol
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Why all the hate for Forest host? Empty Re: Why all the hate for Forest host?

Post by Brokewilly Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:40 am

I don't hate people who camp out in the forest - used to maybe but not now. To me going up against 2 maybe 3 people at once is simply a test of my skills. During Xv1 scenarios I am constantly trying to figure the best way to kill the host first - so I can leave the phantoms feeling they did not do there job of protecting the host. The only thing I hate is when I invade the forest on that d#%$ cliff near the entrance and immediately get assualted by 2-3 people at once. But any FoC member will come to realize this all part of being in the convenant - continue the fight when all appears lost!! It is true badge of honor in my opinion.

Ted0123 - no respect lost between us bro:D

“If your enemy is secure at all points, be prepared for him. If he is in superior strength, evade him. If your opponent is temperamental, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant. If he is taking his ease, give him no rest. If his forces are united, separate them. If sovereign and subject are in accord, put division between them. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected.” – Sun Tzu
    deathsdragon
    deathsdragon
    Regular
    Regular

Post by deathsdragon Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:50 am

Don't hate host, farmers or jumpers personally.

In-fact they make it fun because even tho I get killed very often by the groups, its that much sweeter when I manage to kill 2 of them than it is to kill 1 on 1, or you know when you kill the Phantom and watch the host run back to the stares and circle praying his buddy gets back there in time lol!
    strangejoy
    strangejoy
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by strangejoy Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:52 am

ted1023 wrote:
    I can understand the hate for the jumpers. I moonlight as a host quite often when the hunting is slow and a couple of times I admit have had a to summon help when I see the 3vs1 happening a little to often even in those times after a few battles I try to wave off my partner cause the jumping in on a battle starts to get on my nerves, But I was thinking if there wasn't any host what would all the hunters do? play hopscotch?

I see post after post bashing host or campers or farmers and I have never seen one person admit they host other than me..maybe I haven't really looked… but I know them bastids are out there cause there's a lot of fighting going on and I know it isn't all me..lol. I actually have 2 question why all the hate for the host cause without them the forest can get pretty boring and second where are all the host..come out of hiding ya bastids..lol

You're right; I invade the forest precisely because I like to mix my 1v1 up with a little 2v1 or 3v1. It's a challenge, and it requires a whole new level of strategy and mastery of the terrain. That said, it's hard to respect people who intentionally double or triple team, or who attack spawn points. That doesn't mean I don't love fighting those people or don't need them to get the sort of forest combat I crave, but need and respect are different things. My attitude changes a bit if they're respectful towards me. A gangbanging backstab fest that ends in a couple of golden boys doing "well, what's up?" or "points down" always makes me crave revenge and I'll never respect people who think that gangbanging proves their skills.

From what you've posted, I think you do a lot of 1v1 hosting. You're puting your humanity on the line and facing a risk of getting double teamed. I certainly respect that.

Keep on hosting! If hunting is slow one day, that means there aren't enough hosts. We forest hunters don't want to sit around the forest all day staring at the cat. We want blood.Why all the hate for Forest host? 558843162
    JY4answer
    JY4answer
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JY4answer Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:36 pm

Not so much hate for campers. More so for spawn spot campers and taunting as if they really won a good fight.
    DxV04
    DxV04
    Revived
    Revived

Post by DxV04 Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:56 pm

The hate is not directed to hosts. It is directed a people who host the forest and ambush invaders. There is a difference between waiting by the hill and waiting by the hill and as soon as you are in range use TWoP and have the other guy BS or use a Gant or some overpowered weapon. Thats ambushing not hosting.
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:06 pm

DxV04 wrote:The hate is not directed to hosts. It is directed a people who host the forest and ambush invaders. There is a difference between waiting by the hill and waiting by the hill and as soon as you are in range use TWoP and have the other guy BS or use a Gant or some overpowered weapon. Thats ambushing not hosting.

Amen to that bro! I've gotten relatively used to idea of being possibly bum rushed when I first invade - well it angers :x me for about 1/2 sec then survival kicks in. Even though life is not fair - its those rare occasions when another FoC member invades (especially love those heavy-hitting spellcasters who have saved my bacon on a couple of occasions) and victory is oh so sweet! Joy

It's the fact we have to deal with so many player psychologies which really intrigues me - would the host that immediately jump you in the game do the same thing to a another person in real life if the world was like DkS? :?:

“Know thy self, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories.” – Sun Tzu
    DxV04
    DxV04
    Revived
    Revived

Post by DxV04 Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:24 am

Brokewilly wrote:
    DxV04 wrote:The hate is not directed to hosts. It is directed a people who host the forest and ambush invaders. There is a difference between waiting by the hill and waiting by the hill and as soon as you are in range use TWoP and have the other guy BS or use a Gant or some overpowered weapon. Thats ambushing not hosting.

Amen to that bro! I've gotten relatively used to idea of being possibly bum rushed when I first invade - well it angers :x me for about 1/2 sec then survival kicks in. Even though life is not fair - its those rare occasions when another FoC member invades (especially love those heavy-hitting spellcasters who have saved my bacon on a couple of occasions) and victory is oh so sweet! Joy

It's the fact we have to deal with so many player psychologies which really intrigues me - would the host that immediately jump you in the game do the same thing to a another person in real life if the world was like DkS? :?:

“Know thy self, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories.” – Sun Tzu

I think about the same thing, some of these players are really immature or low self esteem or I dunno. Its a game but the way we play it surely reflects from our personalities.

The answer to your question is a big YES, they would. There are dangerous places in the world that you could say are kind of Dark Souls. I always say DkS is like the street.

Once it happens to you a couple of times in the forest, and you are of the type that likes to get even you definitely change tactics twisted
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:58 am

i've got a str build not assigned to a cov and i think im to late for the war... how do you think someone using smoughs hammer would fare in forest cov?
    DxV04
    DxV04
    Revived
    Revived

Post by DxV04 Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:05 am

dunno because I do not havee any strength builds. But try it and let us know. If its viable in pvp it should be viable in the forest. happy
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:09 am

squashing invaders has worked well so far, i'll go for it!
    DxV04
    DxV04
    Revived
    Revived

Post by DxV04 Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:16 am

sparkly-twinkly-lizard wrote:squashing invaders has worked well so far, i'll go for it!

Awesome!!!! Hurrah

I have a feeling you will be successful.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:37 am

my weapons on hand are demons greataxe+10, greatclub+10 smoughs hammer +4 dragon bone fist+2 and... spider shield+10 any suggestions? oh and i've been using amix of light and medium armors for decent defense with the wolf ring, however i'm only in the 50's and have low life and medium end.
    strangejoy
    strangejoy
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by strangejoy Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:16 am

sparkly-twinkly-lizard wrote:my weapons on hand are demons greataxe+10, greatclub+10 smoughs hammer +4 dragon bone fist+2 and... spider shield+10 any suggestions? oh and i've been using amix of light and medium armors for decent defense with the wolf ring, however i'm only in the 50's and have low life and medium end.

It's going to be rough at 50 with low life. I would suggest going kamikazee with inner strength when you're about to engage in combat. Any of the weapons you mentioned above besides the fist would hit like a train with inner strength. I would also equip DGWR if you've got it. It sounds like you're going to need to set yourself up as a glass cannon until you level up, which means you've got to evade, evade, and evade before you go in for the backstab or the stunlock. How is your pyro?
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:57 pm

no pyro at all... and im lvl 62 now still not much life joined forest cov, had mixed success. if i hit them they either die or lose half their hp and are stunned, except for the people who have to have maxed vit (did 700 dmg and his life barely went down a fourth...) also kamikaze tactics worked well as a backstab without the hornet ring is enough to kill most hosts. note that i have no free ring slots as i've got rofap and havels on just to move at medium speed. inner strength works the same regardless of pyro lvl yes? also i've picked up an artorias greatshield as i can't parry well in pvp.
    strangejoy
    strangejoy
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by strangejoy Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:30 pm

sparkly-twinkly-lizard wrote:no pyro at all... and im lvl 62 now still not much life joined forest cov, had mixed success. if i hit them they either die or lose half their hp and are stunned, except for the people who have to have maxed vit (did 700 dmg and his life barely went down a fourth...) also kamikaze tactics worked well as a backstab without the hornet ring is enough to kill most hosts. note that i have no free ring slots as i've got rofap and havels on just to move at medium speed. inner strength works the same regardless of pyro lvl yes? also i've picked up an artorias greatshield as i can't parry well in pvp.

Inner strength is actually BETTER with no pyro upgrades. It has the same damage increase output (40% extra damage) and the same stamina regeneration effect (similar to green blossom) but does less damage to you. Go for it!
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:58 pm

sparkly-twinkly-lizard wrote:no pyro at all... and im lvl 62 now still not much life joined forest cov, had mixed success. if i hit them they either die or lose half their hp and are stunned, except for the people who have to have maxed vit (did 700 dmg and his life barely went down a fourth...) also kamikaze tactics worked well as a backstab without the hornet ring is enough to kill most hosts. note that i have no free ring slots as i've got rofap and havels on just to move at medium speed. inner strength works the same regardless of pyro lvl yes? also i've picked up an artorias greatshield as i can't parry well in pvp.

Go ahead and give it whirl. Strangelove is correct though - low vitality could be an issue. In the forest it takes these things to increase your survivability and chances for victory - 1) must be able take one shot (high enough HP & poise) from a greatsword to prevent stun-lock or instant death (shout out to Strangejoy on that one!!!), 2) evasion capability (DWGR, low burden, etc), 3)some level of backstab skill (mine is getting better slowly) and 4)patience (this is why points 1 thru 3 are important - the longer you live the more likely aid will arrive to pull your bacon out of the fire lol ). Now if you were a mage build some of the points above may not matter since hopefully you would be able quickly kill a host using sorcery from a distance. I have seen some really high damage output FoC mage builds invade - one shotting hosts and phantoms happy

If you are going to maintain the glass cannon build-out (high damage output - low vitality) you will want to obtain an unascended pyro glove to increase your chances of one shotting a host. The unascended pyro glow will reduce HP loss once you cast inner strength (an ascended glove will kill you very quickly). I mainly use inner strength for farming: inner strength + AOE pyro attack + increased item discover rate = very quick farming. My experience with inner strength technique during PVP is hit and miss - Strangelove is a master at this strategy.

I am not a parry master either but I have been a victim of a host who can parry well. It is one of the most demoralizing attacks in the game - much worst than BS in my opinion. Once you are parried one time during a battle it makes you hesitant to attack straight-on from that point forward - that hesitation can kill you.

Going ahead and join the FoC ranks - it won't be a dull moment I promise you.

“Thus, what is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.” - Sun Tzu
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:35 am

im in and i can get the pyro glove easily and inner strength, continuing to boost lvls in endurance so i can ninja flip with smoughs hammer. after i can do that pure vit as i don't need anything else! also i've got a +13 demon greataxe that does almost as much as smoughs, should i carry resins? or find another buff?
    DxV04
    DxV04
    Revived
    Revived

Post by DxV04 Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:06 am

Definitely carry resins. I use them on my murakumo and flamberge. I like to play around and either use my sunlight blade or use the poison resin.
    ted1023
    ted1023
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by ted1023 Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:21 pm

My advice to new PvPer's worried about being parried.... Control your swings, do not mash the the R1.. doing so will almost guarantee a parry.. remeber when you mash R1 you can still be parried even after you have inflicted damage. When I see someone attempt a parry I back off a little and time my blows.. what you will see most of the time is people who are not very good at it just swing their shield quickly and without timing, hoping to catch you even with a lag.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:44 pm

mashing r1 with big weapons = BS as people are usually too afraid to try and parry...
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:09 pm

DxV04 wrote:Definitely carry resins. I use them on my murakumo and flamberge. I like to play around and either use my sunlight blade or use the poison resin.

DxV04 - I am trying to raise my strength up to a point where I can wield the murakumo. Do you recommend adding elemental damage (fire, light, enchanted, etc) or using resins/buffs on the murakumo? I have seen a host simply destroy a red spirit (old chap simply could not break-out of stun once the host got rollin on him!) during an invasion using a murakumo - it appears the stunlock effect of this weapon is quite high.

The reason I ask is I usually invade the forest and I have been hesitant to use buffs/resins on upgraded normal weapons since time initially works against you in a 2v1 situation or you if you invade in a bad location (that d$%# cliff!!). I have a +9 fire murakumo ready to go but just wanted to get some input on how you have effectively used it in battle.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

“The general who wins the battle makes many calculations in his temple before the battle is fought. The general who loses makes but few calculations beforehand.” - Sun Tzu
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:37 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaK2nAKvfgo&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

i'd sat stick to +15's with resins or buffs just for scaling...
    DxV04
    DxV04
    Revived
    Revived

Post by DxV04 Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:37 pm

Brokewilly wrote:
    DxV04 wrote:Definitely carry resins. I use them on my murakumo and flamberge. I like to play around and either use my sunlight blade or use the poison resin.

DxV04 - I am trying to raise my strength up to a point where I can wield the murakumo. Do you recommend adding elemental damage (fire, light, enchanted, etc) or using resins/buffs on the murakumo? I have seen a host simply destroy a red spirit (old chap simply could not break-out of stun once the host got rollin on him!) during an invasion using a murakumo - it appears the stunlock effect of this weapon is quite high.

The reason I ask is I usually invade the forest and I have been hesitant to use buffs/resins on upgraded normal weapons since time initially works against you in a 2v1 situation or you if you invade in a bad location (that d$%# cliff!!). I have a +9 fire murakumo ready to go but just wanted to get some input on how you have effectively used it in battle.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

“The general who wins the battle makes many calculations in his temple before the battle is fought. The general who loses makes but few calculations beforehand.” - Sun Tzu

You are very welcomed Proper Bow

Its worth it if your dex is high and if I recall correctly and you can check this on the game the para bonus is c for strength and a for dex so if you also have high dex then definitely upgrade it via the normal path and add buffs from resins or like the sunlight blade miracle.

I find that upgrading the weapon via the normal path allows it to be more flexible you can add any buff vs making it an elemental then you are limited to that upgrade path.

I always put poison on my murakumo it freaks them out most of the time and they will feel the urge to end it quickly then if they try to trade you will come out on top most of the time.

If they stun you and you can get out. doing rolling attacks allows for some good dead angle strikes. check your pm.

DxV04
    DxV04
    Revived
    Revived

Post by DxV04 Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:38 pm

sparkly-twinkly-lizard wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaK2nAKvfgo&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

i'd sat stick to +15's with resins or buffs just for scaling...

yes what he said haha cheers

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 8:15 pm