Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+17
Marino.
Carphil
BLA1NE
Rudmed
GrinTwist
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
skarekrow13
hageshisa
deadagain
Knight Alundil
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Bcc17
dancash1808
WyrmHero
ViralEnsign_
DoughGuy
Mr. Tart
21 posters

Your opinion on math.

Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Your opinion on math. - Page 2 Empty Re: Your opinion on math.

Post by Knight Alundil Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:38 am

Oh I know, I totally agree with you. Math's shouldn't be the way it is now but you could say that about most of the education system silly

Thing is though, if you don't know your geography very well then no big deal, no one cares. But if everyone in your office can simplify an equation except you it makes you look and feel like a moron. Or at least it does with me anyway winking
    deadagain
    deadagain
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by deadagain Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:24 pm

My 2 cents... Watch the movie "pi" cause math kills!
    hageshisa
    hageshisa
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by hageshisa Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:33 pm

Math is important, doesnt matter what kind of profession. Also good for everyday life, but yeah I totally get your point Tart
    hageshisa
    hageshisa
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by hageshisa Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:50 pm

Also, math is not about what you will have use for. You learn it to practice your brains and logics ^^
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:50 pm

hageshisa wrote:Also, math is not about what you will have use for. You learn it to practice your brains and logics ^^

^This.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:32 pm

I was a mathlete in high school! I wasn't great at it compared to a lot of the other competitors. Anyway, here's why math is shoved down your throats:

Similar to what Hageshisa said, math isn't for memorizing formulas etc. and then "using" them later. Math is considered a science where I went to school and there's a reason for it. Math is the foundation that almost all science is based off of in some way or another. When taken ALONE, math looks just like numbers and memory. But when learned in conjunction with other studies it helps you to conceptualize the world and make sense of very difficult processes or phenomena that are often taken for granted. Even something as simple as "why is the sky blue?" necessitates a basic understanding of math and science. Basic skills are drastically improved via math too. Take driving skills for instance.....math and physics make it a simple task to realize the effect mass has on braking and acceleration. If I say that a particular car brakes from 60mps-0mph in a given distance your brain needs to visualize that distance (math) to account for it. Then to use that in real driving scenarios you need to extrapolate the data. Ok, I'm going 70mph, about how much more space will I need? Then, that tractor trailer in front of me has "n" amount times more mass than my vehicle. How will that affect the braking distance of that vehicle? Ok, it will stop in a longer distance. I don't need to increase my following distance. Now place that tractor trailer behind me and it's a different story.

Math isn't about using algebra when you're 31 (since I rarely do). It's about putting the world in understandable scenarios.
    Bcc17
    Bcc17
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Bcc17 Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:44 pm

Knight Alundil wrote:Oh I know, I totally agree with you. Math's shouldn't be the way it is now but you could say that about most of the education system silly

Thing is though, if you don't know your geography very well then no big deal, no one cares. But if everyone in your office can simplify an equation except you it makes you look and feel like a moron. Or at least it does with me anyway winking

Are you saying "math's" to bug the **** out of me? :x

<3
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:03 pm

my current issue with math is that my college has a new online test for math placement... however its really twitchy and in most cases you lose 5% the second time you take it... even the perliminary exercises will say you did it wrong and then display an answer... thats the exact same as what you put down... i took a class to help with it... lost 2%, now im going to try tutoring, hope it works better...
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

Post by GrinTwist Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:04 pm

I don't care for it mainly because I am good at it. But after going through highschool I can say some of what I learned was completely useless for me.
    Rudmed
    Rudmed
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Rudmed Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:46 pm

Calc I. NO ME GUSTA!

If no one minds me asking this...why do we learn the hard way to do something...and then the easier way that takes a quarter of the time? What is the point of the hard way then!?
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

Post by GrinTwist Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:49 pm

Some people find it easier to do the math the harder way, I don't think it's very common but some people just can't wrap their minds around the simpler way to do things. (I hope that makes sense)
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:58 pm

What grim said.

@Skare

You have a point, however, math is not the only subject of which allows for enhancing your basic skills. I would like to go as far as to say that it's simply an individual matter. Math does not necessarily improve your basic skills, i really believe that's an individual matter. Did i just repeat myself? :suspect:
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:18 pm

Bcc17 wrote:
    Knight Alundil wrote:Oh I know, I totally agree with you. Math's shouldn't be the way it is now but you could say that about most of the education system silly

Are you saying "math's" to bug the **** out of me? :x

<3

"Maths" is short for "Mathematics". Would you say "Im learning mathematic." Nope. Your opinion on math. - Page 2 4205493335

Edit: No, I haven't thought into it long enough to decide on an apostrophe or not big grin
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:17 pm

Basically my point was just that math ties into more areas than it first appears. It's an insidious demon that teaches us things twisted
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:25 pm

Tart, if at 17 you're absolutely sure of what you want to do in the future, and you actually end up doing it, then you're one very lucky person! Very few people know what they want to do at your age, and even fewer end up doing what they wanted. So if Math was optional at that age, I guarantee a lot of people would screw themselves over!

Well... it's never too late to take math again, but better (might as well) do it while you're young.

Also, like Skare said, math can give structure to your thinking, and serve as framework for explaining things that would otherwise seem inexplicable. And: everything is mathematical! I don't exactly love math itself, but I love the way I can use it to think sometimes, and especially when I apply it to anything at all in the real-world. Cooking, for example, is very mathematical! But as far as math itself is concerned, and math problems, I like how you can solve them forwards and backwards. Like two sides of an equality, or expanding an algebraic expression and factoring it, for example. And like Rudmed just brought up: the easy way and the hard way. The "hard way" is usually the long way, which is the way the math fundamentally works. The "easy way" is usually a method you learn by heart, and is really just a shortcut of the hard way. I like (and think it's important to) learn the hard way because I need to understand things through and through, forwards and backwards, in order to use them properly. If I'm shown the easy way without being shown the hard way, I can guarantee you I will forget the easy way! But if I'm shown the hard way, I'll understand how the easy way works, then I'll remember it.

Anyways, long story short: do your math homework! And like it. silly

Edit: oh, I almost forgot... I have my own math homework to do right now! I'm actually re-taking my college math myself, because I didn't care for it the first time around. Now I see things very differently.
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:22 pm

BLA1NE wrote:

Anyways, long story short: do your math homework! And like it. silly

Okay, I must admit: I hate math. But after this lesson I'm sure that I'll try to do the math homework at least before the exams :roll:
    Marino.
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Marino. Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:34 pm

2deep4me
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:03 pm

I was never very good at maths.... but hell im looking at becoming a teacher, either primary or secondary, if I have to take a few courses here and there I will.

Its a sonnovabitch but you have to put up with it.
    Rudmed
    Rudmed
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Rudmed Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:04 pm

.....that depends do I have to put up with it after Calc I?
    BrotherBob
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BrotherBob Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:20 am

DoughGuy wrote:Math > English
    It has far more uses and is used in more, what you'd call, high level jobs.
    Have some fun while I'm with Hoshi's voice Viral silly
    That just made me think of how, here in Ontario, Canada, we only have to do 3 Math courses to graduate high school, while we have to do 4 English courses to graduate. Obviously, someone thought that writing essays on Shakespearean plays is more applicable to the work world than what you could learn from a Data Management course.
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:59 am

Mathematics is the music of the Universe. Unfortunately, I was hopeless at it when I was at school (a very, very long time ago). I know for a fact that my lack of understanding and inability to grasp algebra, geometry, quadrilateral equations etc. was a major reason why I didn't get to University.

However, although I don't understand it, without mathematics you wouldn't be reading this and you wouldn't be able to play 'Dark Souls' or any other video game for that matter because without maths they wouldn't exist. I think this answers your question.
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:04 am

Not necessarily. As i have already mentioned, i understand its use. But everyone ain't planning on using it for the use of creating websites and games. My point was, why enforce it onto everyone when not even everyone plan on working a whole lot with math? I know for one thing, any computer related education is popular, so it will most certainly be used. Besides, it wasn't exactly a question, but rather a topic of discussion. Thanks for your post though. happy

Unless it was in reply to someone else? You get the point though.
    vatar5
    vatar5
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by vatar5 Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:19 am

To fully grasp maths,you need to have a certain kind of logic which allows you to interpret everything with your knowledge.
    Hence maths develops ,or aim to develops,logic.
    Bcc17
    Bcc17
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Bcc17 Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:30 am

Some math subjects should be ganked in the forest big grin
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:35 pm

I take your point Mr. T. I hated maths at school too and questioned why I had to do it. It seems a bit daft to me too that it's kind of compulsory if your chosen career doesn't APPEAR to have any use for it. But 'here's the rub', maths seems to infiltrate everything like 'sand in sandwiches' when you take a picnic on the beach.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 9:10 am