Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+19
AnCapaillMor
densetsushun
Automancer
"thekid"
Sneezer
T-King-667
IzalithFM
The_Red_Drifter
Nybbles
Soris Ice Goldwing
Ashran
Dibsville
Saturday-Saint
Myztyrio
Forum Pirate
Fry1156
LunarFog
User1
morte
23 posters

Good weapon for a quality build?

Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Good weapon for a quality build? - Page 2 Empty Re: Good weapon for a quality build?

Post by Dibsville Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:41 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:I wasn't arguing, merely correcting.

There is the chance that refering to the mura as quality would mislead someone into building for it wrong. There is a benifit to a 40/40 build using a zweih as a main. There really isn't for the mura. better 28/40 and pumping something else.
    In terms of scaling, yes I would consider it a DEX weapon, but the huge strength requirement makes it more of a quality type weapon.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Good weapon for a quality build? - Page 2 Empty Re: Good weapon for a quality build?

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:46 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:The mura is a dex weapon, but the 28 str requirement means its functionally a quality weapon. Its really good too, if you can get the hang of its swing speed.
    Anyways, the composite bow is quality too, mostly for shooting casters or killing runners.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:47 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:
    Forum Pirate wrote:The mura is a dex weapon, but the 28 str requirement means its functionally a quality weapon. Its really good too, if you can get the hang of its swing speed.
    Anyways, the composite bow is quality too, mostly for shooting casters or killing runners.
    If I remember correctly, an unupgraded Comp Bow at 40-40 has 200 base damage. Needs nerf.
    Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:28 am

there two types of quality builds 27/40 (or 28 for the Muro) and 40/40.

personally i think the 28/40 build is the best version. more strength than that doesn't actually increase the AR of the weapon by nearly as much as going to 40 dex. besides, pure strength or dex weapons seem to perform better at 40/40 than the quality weapons, which essentially means that all those points in one of your stats is completely wasted.

good quality weapons are:
    • straight swords (darksword is my current fav)
    • claymore
    • zweihander
    • great sword
    • great lord great sword
    • murokumo (needing 28 strength means it requires a quality build to use it)
    • gravelord great sword (scaling sucks but it is E/E)
    • estoc (though this one is best as an elemental weapon even with 40/40)
    • halberd
    • gargoyle halberd
    • spears
    • composite bow

probably missing a few, but these are the ones i like to use.
    The_Red_Drifter
    The_Red_Drifter
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by The_Red_Drifter Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:40 pm

Quality builds tend to favor 2 handing their weapon for the strength bonus, which will help outdo weapons like the uchi. Even the Washing Pole will outdamage it when two handed at 28/40 (granted, it's only 7 more AR, but still).
    Greatswords, Curved Greatswords, Ultra Greatswords and Halberds will all outdamage the uchi one handed, but they are usually slower. Spears will never outdamage anything, but they have the benefit of reach. Straight Swords tend to be much more versatile than katanas, and a few have faster swing speeds. In fact, versatility is one of the big sell points for quality builds in my opinion.
    IzalithFM
    IzalithFM

Post by IzalithFM Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:06 pm

Battle-Axe, once you get used to the slow-ish swing speed and whiff animation its a beast. Make sure you 2-hand it though.
    T-King-667
    T-King-667
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by T-King-667 Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:16 pm

Caestus+15 deff
    Sneezer
    Sneezer
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Sneezer Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:00 pm

My quality build has ten pounds worth of weapon space.
    I use the Claymore with a broadsword and comp bow, the Halberd with a broadsword and comp bow, a Zweihander on it's own, Or the Washing Pole with either a handaxe or a comp bow.

All of these are very good quality weapons.
    Good weapon for a quality build? - Page 2 4901-88
    "thekid"

Post by "thekid" Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:50 pm

I've been having a lot of fun with the server lately. Its not particularly good when fighting gankers, but hits hard, stuns and dead angles. Not a lot of people use it either, and the strange swings throw peoples parries off ime.
    Saturday-Saint
    Saturday-Saint
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Saturday-Saint Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:03 am

The Server fetish confuses me still. Why do people use it over Murakumo? Hipster cred?
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:24 am

^Because the Mura isn't the be all end all for Curved Greatswords.
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:41 am

Darksword. Love that thing.
    Saturday-Saint
    Saturday-Saint
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Saturday-Saint Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:42 am

Server has 0 things about it that make it worth taking over Murakumo's better range and damage. Here are its advantages:

-Less weight. You can remove points from dex and put them into endurance and you will get better damage and range while maintaining roll speed. Unless maybe if you have neither FaP or Havel's and are fast-rolling, but then 10 lbs weapon is still super heavy for that.
    -Faster recovery? I'm actually not sure on this one. But faster recovery within the same weapon class is really insignificant, and CGS all have super fast recoveries anyways, I've never had a problem with Mura recovering too slowly.
    -Life drain. lol
    -Lower strength requirement. Like with Weight vs. Endurance point above, you can take points out of dexterity to get the extra 28 strength and still have a better weapon.

None of those make it worth taking over Murakumo. So explain again why:
    Automancer wrote:the Mura isn't the be all end all for Curved Greatswords.
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:55 am

^Dude, personal preference. Stat wise, yes the Mura surpasses the Server in every way. But that's just super boring imo. It's a vastly weaker version of the Mura but that in no way whatsoever makes it an unviable weapon.

Some guys just aren't here to be top-tier nut jobs and just want a bit more challenge.

Last edited by Automancer on Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:01 am; edited 1 time in total
    Saturday-Saint
    Saturday-Saint
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Saturday-Saint Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:01 am

You could have just confirmed for me that people play Server for hipster cred instead of implying there was some good reason to use it.
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:02 am

^ I don't see a problem with it. What's your deal? If it isn't affecting the way you play the game, just let it be. There's no need to pick on everything you seem to dislike.
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:25 am

Saturday-Saint wrote:You could have just confirmed for me that people play Server for hipster cred instead of implying there was some good reason to use it.
    Why does it have to be between a good weapon and hipster cred? Sure, there's no reason for someone to pick it over the Mura except for personal preference, but that's personal preference. Hipster cred would be going for caestus because nobody uses it.
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:29 am

^ I do. Dual Cetus swag. Praise the Sun
    AnCapaillMor
    AnCapaillMor
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by AnCapaillMor Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:56 am

Don't knock lifedrain, how many times have you finished a fight with 10 or less hp, that little hp bump will win you a few fights.

As for me, at the moment its the gargoyle and basic halberd for me, both's jump attack have a huge swing arc and if you land level or behind the player there's a very good chance of dead angle with counter damage.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:02 am

Less than 10. hp essentialy works on thresholds (as defense is fairly constant at 300-350). unless you're hp is just under a threshold, or you hit 30 times, its not making a difference.
    ThatPerson
    ThatPerson
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by ThatPerson Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:06 am

..People other than me DO use Lucerne, right? RIGHT?
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:22 am

You mean that halberd with the worst reach and r1's of any halberd? That horrible mockery of the mirdan hammer? just about.
    densetsushun
    densetsushun
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by densetsushun Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:23 am

Forum Pirate wrote:That horrible mockery of the mirdan hammer?
    This. So much this.
    Saturday-Saint
    Saturday-Saint
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Saturday-Saint Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:41 am

AnCapaillMor wrote:Don't knock lifedrain, how many times have you finished a fight with 10 or less hp, that little hp bump will win you a few fights.

Getting 7 HP back per swing < dealing 50 more damage per swing.
    morte
    morte
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by morte Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:25 am

Saturday-Saint wrote:
    AnCapaillMor wrote:Don't knock lifedrain, how many times have you finished a fight with 10 or less hp, that little hp bump will win you a few fights.

Getting 7 HP back per swing < dealing 50 more damage per swing.

Really? I would think that it does. That way, you can, long-term, get the rough equivalent of replenishment or a heal item without stopping your attacks, which would normally leave an opening.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 10:19 am