Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+19
Marionx
Dusk Soul
WandererReece
Noob-of-Artorias
LunarFog
fujiphoenix
ninjashifty
Nybbles
Green__Eagle
raecor14
Ghadis_God
Zeta Prime
User1
Maneater_Mildred
RANT
kramage
Animaaal
Dibsville
ICEFANG
23 posters

Shield question(s) and share your PvP/PvE shield thoughts.

Elifia
    Elifia
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Shield question(s) and share your PvP/PvE shield thoughts. - Page 2 Empty Re: Shield question(s) and share your PvP/PvE shield thoughts.

Post by Elifia Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:42 pm

WandererReece wrote:Sunlight Shield is also great. 71 stability for just 4 weight.

Balder Shield gives 75 stability for the same weight. Caduceus/Tower Kite Shield gives 72 stability for 3 weight.

For me, the shield I'm using depends a lot on the enemies that I'll face.

If I expect loads and loads of fire, then I'll obviously go for the Black Knight Shield. The only exception is low-strength builds that can't wield it in 1 hand, in which case it'll be the Dragon Crest Shield.

If I expect magic damage, I'll usually go for the Crest Shield. In rare occasions I'll use the Crystal Ring Shield.

If it's mostly physical damage that I'll face I'll go for Balder Shield or Silver Knight Shield. I prefer the Silver Knight Shield over the Balder Shield due to being of the twinkling titanite upgrade path and having slightly better defence, but on some builds it simply doesn't fit.

Spider Shield in Blighttown.

If I face something that drains loads of stamina when blocking, dealing damage anyway when it breaks my guard, 1-shotting me and being incredibly hard to dodge, then I might go for the Eagle Shield +15 because of the insane stability for its weight. Due to the nerf to its physical reduction I wouldn't use it otherwise though.

And lastly, the Grass Crest Shield, which I don't use as a shield but rather as a buff to my stamina when 2-handing something.
    Latitoast
    Latitoast
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Shield question(s) and share your PvP/PvE shield thoughts. - Page 2 Empty Re: Shield question(s) and share your PvP/PvE shield thoughts.

Post by Latitoast Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:26 pm

In PvE I'll use a shield, but I rarely use shields outside of PvE. I feel like dodging is better, but in PvE blocking is better(Aside from the Four Kings, if you can dodge their attacks, they are quite the easy boss unless one stabs you in the side while you're focusing on another king.)

If I use a shield in PvP, it's usually because I'm cosplaying.
    fujiphoenix
    fujiphoenix
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by fujiphoenix Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:59 pm

But crystal ring shield can do like 100 damage and is super hard to hit people with! Itz so Epik!1!!
    Muker
    Muker
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Muker Wed May 01, 2013 3:31 pm

Do shields have a different attack speed, stamina consumption and such? Or are they the same within certain categories: light medium heavy bonewheel piercing f.e.
    Which are best for fighting?
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Wed May 01, 2013 4:16 pm

Muker wrote:Do shields have a different attack speed, stamina consumption and such? Or are they the same within certain categories: light medium heavy bonewheel piercing f.e.
    Which are best for fighting?

the more stability the less stamina it drains when blocking an attack. and there's really no best shield, it depends on your build and the guy you're fighting, imo you're better of dodging but I really like the leather shields, really light and fast parry.
    Muker
    Muker
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Muker Wed May 01, 2013 4:28 pm

I meant stamina consumption when attacking with it, not blocking big grin

I nevered tried on-handing a shield.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Wed May 01, 2013 4:43 pm

The Bonewheel Shield will drain a decent amount of stamina, but is prolly the best "attacking" shield considering its combo imo.

Ima go out on a limb and say 1 hit with the Binewheel Shield does 20 poise damage and all 3 hits would equal 60.

I used the Black Flame --> Bonewheel Shield combo pretty frequently with my tank, and I could break poise on Havel/Giants tank with it. I say 20, because BF does 61, and it seemed as if the Bonewheel would stagger on the 1st or 2nd hit of the combo when it landed.

Also, the BWS has a decent damage output when the combo connects (lightning or fire version), but the start up animation is pretty slow. Its hard to land on a good player without setting it up.

Again, the poise damage is pure speculation.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Wed May 01, 2013 4:59 pm

Animaaal wrote:The Bonewheel Shield will drain a decent amount of stamina, but is prolly the best "attacking" shield considering its combo imo.

Ima go out on a limb and say 1 hit with the Binewheel Shield does 20 poise damage and all 3 hits would equal 60.

I used the Black Flame --> Bonewheel Shield combo pretty frequently with my tank, and I could break poise on Havel/Giants tank with it. I say 20, because BF does 61, and it seemed as if the Bonewheel would stagger on the 1st or 2nd hit of the combo when it landed.

Also, the BWS has a decent damage output when the combo connects (lightning or fire version), but the start up animation is pretty slow. Its hard to land on a good player without setting it up.

now i realy wanna test this, i'll let you guys know if i do.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Wed May 01, 2013 5:10 pm

RantFromRant wrote:
    Animaaal wrote:The Bonewheel Shield will drain a decent amount of stamina, but is prolly the best "attacking" shield considering its combo imo.

now i realy wanna test this, i'll let you guys know if i do.

That would be effing great! Thanks Rant. Bow
    ICEFANG
    ICEFANG
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ICEFANG Wed May 01, 2013 10:39 pm

I still wonder if shield size is helpful in protecting you.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Wed May 01, 2013 11:16 pm

Crest Shield, Black Knight Shield, and Effigy.

Those are all you need. I know you can dodge magic, fire, and lightning, but something is unnerving about having an opponent block it.

And blocking opens up many opportunities for attack. Many of my builds use shields just because it's incredibly frustrating for my opponents to deal with.
    ICEFANG
    ICEFANG
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ICEFANG Wed May 01, 2013 11:52 pm

I consider the BK shield to be amazing, the Sliver Knight Shield to be, overall best, and I've now learned that nothing compares to Crest Shield for magic block. Only a few can get as close or slightly higher, and fail on the physical block or stability (usually both) pretty bad. That's one reason I don't see the extreme love for the Effigy Shield. Its got pretty bad stability, but I suppose if it blocked 100% physical, then it would be a little nuts, and pretty good, and then it has the FAI requirement, bleh.

I agree with you in that, you're 'supposed' to dodge fire magic and lightning. I enjoy blocking them as well, but in the case of lightning, there is so little things that do it, and those worthless lightning spells, I'd take a 100%/65% stability shield over the 90%/90% and low stability.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Wed May 01, 2013 11:58 pm

I block specifically Sunlight Spear (the miracle you only get 5 of, that takes 2 attunement slots) because it freaks people out when I only take 40 damage from it. Black Knight Shield and Crest Shield are the best ingame shields, because both offer the highest block percent for their element, while having 100% physical, outstanding stability, and the ability to parry.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Thu May 02, 2013 12:00 am

Rynn wrote:I block specifically Sunlight Spear (the miracle you only get 5 of, that takes 2 attunement slots) because it freaks people out when I only take 40 damage from it. Black Knight Shield and Crest Shield are the best ingame shields, because both offer the highest block percent for their element, while having 100% physical, outstanding stability, and the ability to parry.

Warrior's Round Shield and shields with identical stats get around 85% Magic block at Magic +10?
    Havel's gets 90%, although it's a Greatshield not a shield.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Thu May 02, 2013 12:06 am

Dibsville wrote:
    Rynn wrote:I block specifically Sunlight Spear (the miracle you only get 5 of, that takes 2 attunement slots) because it freaks people out when I only take 40 damage from it. Black Knight Shield and Crest Shield are the best ingame shields, because both offer the highest block percent for their element, while having 100% physical, outstanding stability, and the ability to parry.

Warrior's Round Shield and shields with identical stats get around 85% Magic block at Magic +10?
    Havels lacks a parry, and as such is not a usable shield, warriors round and it's other ilk have 45 stability, and can't even block 2 katana hits in a row.

On top of these critical flaws, they have lower fire/lightning defenses than the crest shield, or weight 26 pounds. The crest shield beats every other shield used for magic defense as a result.
    ICEFANG
    ICEFANG
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ICEFANG Thu May 02, 2013 12:44 am

Havel's Shield is just terrible. It just weighs too much to be effective. I mean 26!? What can you do with that? 14 points left for medium roll?

I like the buff and I considered a kinda unkind build with Havel's and Pike and fast roll, but still. Medium shields give so much more, and the fact that you can parry. Even though the GS of Artorias have pretty impressive stats, the fact it can't parry, people just wail on you if you don't have a behind shield weapon.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Thu May 02, 2013 1:04 am

Rynn wrote:
    Dibsville wrote:

Havels lacks a parry, and as such is not a usable shield, warriors round and it's other ilk have 45 stability, and can't even block 2 katana hits in a row.

On top of these critical flaws, they have lower fire/lightning defenses than the crest shield, or weight 26 pounds. The crest shield beats every other shield used for magic defense as a result.

I know, but I was just mentioning it. silly
    Also, I have used Warrior's Round Shield in one of my builds, it's quite an amazing shield for weighing 2 units less than Crest Shield.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 2:27 am