Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+21
samster628
phastings
WaffleGuy
Forum Pirate
TheMeInTeam
Soris Ice Goldwing
Encore
Onion Knight
FruitPunchNinja
Animaaal
Seignar
skarekrow13
Sargerus
Reaperfan
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
tofucactaur
Dibsville
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
Halicarnassis
Sentiel
Saturday-Saint
25 posters

gg FROMSoft

Saturday-Saint
    Saturday-Saint
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

gg FROMSoft - Page 4 Empty Re: gg FROMSoft

Post by Saturday-Saint Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:21 pm

jaythibodeau wrote:(assuming that the animation of him getting up is somehow a part of the roll animation)?
    It is part of the animation. And the reason why it would apply to the second half of the animation is that the entire animation has armor, not just a part of it. Like the backstep in Dark Souls.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:24 pm

I can't argue against you when you have that av.
    jaythibodeau
    jaythibodeau
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by jaythibodeau Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:44 pm

By calling it a part of the animation, I mean that it happens like that 100% of the time (Even then, this is a bit of a general term. Also, 'getting up' was a bit of a general term too. Sorry about that). Looking closely, the animation is weird. Which is what I'm getting at. He turns around, and his legs do this awkward fast movement in an attempt to stand up more straight, or was it to turn around? Is it him turning around? Or is it a part of the roll? Both? Personally, I'd say that the roll ends once he is crouched. The roll ended, but he is trying to stand up more. It's kind of separate. 
    Even then, the hyper amor applies to that whole animation? That's still ridiculous. 

Edit: I'm kind of awful at explaining, so here's an example. In Dark Souls, you can roll forward. If you just roll forward, your character just stands straight in the direction you rolled once the rolling animation is done. But, if you pressed roll again during the animation, he rolls again while cutting off the standing part. What I'm saying is, it cuts off that extra tidbit that isn't really important or '100% a part of it'. Thus, I highly doubt the effects of hyper armor apply to it.

At 2:37, he gets hit directly while trying to roll. Would this only apply to armored characters?
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:42 am

You all do realize that the premade builds seen in the demo might just have low Poise, which is not enough to tank hits from these mobs?
    That + the possibility that mobs attacks have now higher Poise damage, so wen can't just tank them around and ignore them, like in DkS.
    Or that the Poise wasn simply not added to the game yet, because devs are still trying to figure out how to make it happen, but also make it beter than in DkS. It's better to show nothing, that to show something bad, or poorly made.
    In several of the interviews, they said that they don't want to reveal anything that wasn't "set in stone" yet.
    jaythibodeau
    jaythibodeau
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by jaythibodeau Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:47 am

^ Exactly. There is such little information to go off of for now that it doesn't really matter. He only gets hit a few times in the video. It won't be enough to confirm anything quiiiiiite yet. Even then, poise could work in an entirely new way that we don't know about.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:06 am

I'm confused as to what is bad about this video

"We think the game is as hard or even harder"

"The widening of the audience is done through new added features"

"We've worked on dual wielding so it works"

All of the above- awesome. Added to moving while shooting with a bow, 3 slots of left and right hands and the badass magic slash, I'm hyped. Very hyped.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Reaperfan Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:45 am

Serious_Much wrote:I'm confused as to what is bad about this video

"We think the game is as hard or even harder"

"The widening of the audience is done through new added features"

"We've worked on dual wielding so it works"

All of the above- awesome. Added to moving while shooting with a bow, 3 slots of left and right hands and the badass magic slash, I'm hyped. Very hyped.

The upsetting part is apparently that people are upset that poise is returning as a game mechanic straight face
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:16 pm

I think people are upset just for the sake of being upset.
    jaythibodeau
    jaythibodeau
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by jaythibodeau Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:54 pm

^ Pretty much. So far, there's only minor things that are bugging me about the game. But it's certainly not going to ruin it for me. So long as the game is challenging, rewarding and just overall feels good. I'll be ok. 
    For the most part, I try to ignore complaints (or not complain silly). Although sometimes my temper gets the better of me.
    Mostly, it sounds like the game is going through the phase almost every sequel goes through:
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheyChangedItNowItSucks
    Or:
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ItsTheSameNowItSucks
    Where pretty much stuff like this is brought up. Before judging Dark Souls 2, I think I'll wait till it comes out.
    phastings
    phastings
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by phastings Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:56 pm

Dibsville wrote:I can't argue against you when you have that av.

His avatar is hyper armor. 

No but if you watch the video of the guy giving the analysis of gameplay,
    He mentions there are no invisibility frames. He has actually played it, and for the demo at least they are not in the rolls And he's stated he took damage during one. He certainly understands the difference too, as he is a demons/dark souls fan.

For anyone curious, also watch the gameplay segment where the Mage is fighting the armored turtle guy. The Mage tries to roll away from his downward club smash, but his roll is literally interrupted with a straight up body crunch. U can hear bones break if u turn your tv up loud enough. But that means they are changing things up.
    Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Seignar Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:09 pm

If you look at it, you'll notice he was quite a ways after the initial rolling animations, which could show the nerfed I-frames or just that some moves cross invincibility. Later in that video, the same character dodges a 180 swing with a roll.
    phastings
    phastings
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by phastings Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:01 pm

yea i noticed that. maybe lateral swings can be dodged, but vertical ones cannot if you get caught in the path of it. It makes sense, physically.
    Saturday-Saint
    Saturday-Saint
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Saturday-Saint Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:08 pm

Reaperfan wrote:The upsetting part is apparently that people are upset that poise is returning as a game mechanic straight face

Poise is a demonstrably bad mechanic, the fact that so many people still want it in the game after the disaster it was in Dark Souls is disheartening. It's like those mongolords who think that having a shield on your back prevent BS would be the best thing ever.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:18 pm

Saint, while it's fine to state your opinion please edit out the insult you lobbed at a good segment of the DS forum members. And before you start thinking of ways to defend your use of the "m" word I will state that I have seen numerous members agree that a shield on the back providing extra defense is a good idea. There's no way to defend a direct insult, so again, please edit that
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:23 pm

skarekrow13 wrote:Saint, while it's fine to state your opinion please edit out the insult you lobbed at a good segment of the DS forum members. And before you start thinking of ways to defend your use of the "m" word I will state that I have seen numerous members agree that a shield on the back providing extra defense is a good idea. There's no way to defend a direct insult, so again, please edit that
    Those people are wrong, and its been demonstrated, repeatedly, how and why that would overpower the 9,000,000,000,000 2h kat or 2h zweih or 2h spear or even tank caster (one can 2h a catalyst) builds.

In any case, I think the concept of poise is a good idea, it just wasn't implimented well (i don't have a fix)
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:31 pm

I don't care if they have flaws in their argument Forum, the direct insult at them is an issue.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:36 pm

I wan't supporting the insult, I don't even know what it means, i was commenting on the idea its self.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:37 pm

Saturday-Saint wrote:
    Reaperfan wrote:The upsetting part is apparently that people are upset that poise is returning as a game mechanic straight face

Poise is a demonstrably bad mechanic, the fact that so many people still want it in the game after the disaster it was in Dark Souls is disheartening.  It's like those mongolords who think that having a shield on your back prevent BS would be the best thing ever.

It's hardly a disaster. It's much better than like demons souls where you could get stunlocked by rats.

Naturally though you're just gonna throw the PvP poise BS argument, and the fact it can be used to it's advantage... like it's meant to be.

There's nothing wrong with poise really in my opinion, on it's own it's not a bad idea, it's just when it's put together with other mechanics that truly aren't up to scratch of course there's an overspill.

Please when you respond, bear in mind that PvP isn't anywhere near as important as PvE functionality

Edit: Forum for your interest mongoloid is an insult based on the medical term "Mongolism", which is the former term for Down's Syndrome. It's pretty much an attempt to sound intelligent when calling someone a retard. It's really not :razz:
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:44 pm

I thought the idea of tying poise to str weapons and/or "heavy" weapons was a pretty good idea.  I think Wyrmhero was the first one to mention it, or rather where I heard it first.

And also, I think Dark Souls pvp is vastly improved from Demon's.  It's not even close imo.
    phastings
    phastings
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by phastings Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:42 pm

Serious_Much wrote:
    Saturday-Saint wrote:

Poise is a demonstrably bad mechanic, the fact that so many people still want it in the game after the disaster it was in Dark Souls is disheartening.  It's like those mongolords who think that having a shield on your back prevent BS would be the best thing ever.

It's hardly a disaster. It's much better than like demons souls where you could get stunlocked by rats.

Naturally though you're just gonna throw the PvP poise BS argument, and the fact it can be used to it's advantage... like it's meant to be.

There's nothing wrong with poise really in my opinion, on it's own it's not a bad idea, it's just when it's put together with other mechanics that truly aren't up to scratch of course there's an overspill.

Please when you respond, bear in mind that PvP isn't anywhere near as important as PvE functionality

Edit: Forum for your interest mongoloid is an insult based on the medical term "Mongolism", which is the former term for Down's Syndrome. It's pretty much an attempt to sound intelligent when calling someone a retard. It's really not :razz:

haha SLAM! DUDUNUH. DUDUNUH, LET THE POISE BE POISE!!

I dont see why everyone wants to lench-mob poise. I mean, it makes sense from a physical standpoint, but may have been executed poorly in dark souls because they kinda rushed the project. Id be more worried about invincibility frames. Perhaps someone should start a thread on that, ive got more than 2 cents to contribute

Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:54 pm

I don't think poise is so bad anymore.  Before the DWGR nerf it was questionable, but now its only slightly flawed imo.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:56 pm

phastings wrote:Perhaps someone should start a thread on that, ive got more than 2 cents to contribute

If you only have two cents i feel sorry for your financial well being

(please note im being sarcastic, I hate the phrase 2 cents as it's like you have to apologise for having an opinion)
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:08 pm

I like my 2 sense.

It sounds smart, but at the same time makes it sound like I have a low sense count...which isn't entirely untrue....straight face
    phastings
    phastings
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by phastings Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:10 pm

haha, i got offended until reading sentence #2. that is a good point, i might never use the expression again. It just sounded good with the wording of my point. but suuuurously.. surprised ...my rolls..

wizards will rule the new pvp world
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:15 pm

phastings wrote:.........wizards will rule the new pvp world..........

The EyeThe Eye
    We are watching, let the war begin.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 12:21 am