Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+35
Eolan
Kenko
FattyOfDoom
Jorund
befowler
skillbilly
Sunbro4evar
GkMrBane
Oribane
Spurgun
Shkar
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
SEANB240
Siegleyn
Serious_Much
cloudyeki
DoughGuy
Darkstar485
pylorih
Tolvo
strangejoy
skarekrow13
ViralEnsign_
PhlyingDutchman
cdr2783
AeroSigma
Carphil
Yukon
Emergence
ublug
Tornesol
PlasticandRage
WyrmHero
User
BLA1NE
39 posters

Pendant Theories

ublug
    ublug
    Forum Lord
    Forum Lord

Pendant Theories - Page 4 Empty Re: Pendant Theories

Post by ublug Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:35 am

cloudyeki wrote:I am also curious about the ties it has to the hunters, the WoW, and Anor Londo. Maybe the pendants where for those who took pilgrimages to Lordran to converse with the gods? I like to think that 'The Land of Lords' was atleast seen as a holy land in the past.
    If we only knew for certain what made them drop from invaders, that could be a clue. Is it just a random drop? Must they have it in their possession? Did they choose it as a gift? Are they members of way of white?
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:08 am

Next time I kill a farmer and get one I'll grill them on it and see what they say big grin

I expect some kinda hate mail reply
    Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yukon Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:16 am

I spent a good time in the forest trying to do this, everytime I got one I sent a message and got no reply... they aren't very keen on chatting with hunters it seems.

It would probably be easier to set up a meeting and do tests with forum members
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:26 pm

*Coughs*

Questions about forest hunters? And I wasn't invited? sad

It is a completely random drop, from the same group of farmers you can get a pendant or something random. I've managed to get them from duellists who have said they did not have a pendant, and gotten it from people who did have one. It is a completely random drop I'm pretty sure. Although with relation to the Pendant Petrus and Reah do come to mind.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:34 pm

Tolvo.....whispering the word forest seems all but guaranteed to catch your ears and is always an invitation naturally.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:10 pm

Not sure if this one has been added to the pendant thread yet:

Miyazaki is a complete troll with the pendant.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:26 pm

I'm gonna go with my Muninn explanation on Emergence's thread as ravens are coo l and this lets me sleep at night. Says the guy who just a few days ago added another possible sighting
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:07 pm

Lulz, every revelation brings more questions.
    Siegleyn
    Siegleyn

Post by Siegleyn Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:37 pm

Damn, I made an account to post my find, but it seems it has been posted already sad

Pendant Theories - Page 4 Unbenannt
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:45 pm

Made a thread for this post already, but thought it would be suitable to post this update from Miyazaki here too:

"Finally, we asked Miyazaki about the mysterious pendant that players of the console version can select as a gift at the start of the game, but which seemingly has little use in the subsequent adventure. Is there more to this controversial trinket? "Oh, the pendant?" he laughed. "I am aware that many people are wondering about the meaning of it ... but let's keep it as a secret. I can't answer the question now. I won't answer it for the rest of my life."

This is taken from this article relating the PC rerelease to consoles etc: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2012/apr/17/dark-souls-pc-dlc-news

It leans much more towards a symbolic idea such as a link in the lore or to Demons etc in my opinion.

what do you guys think it means?
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:07 pm

^Ah man, he doesn't speak english, right? That was a translation? That peeves me a little, because I'd love to really interpret what he said, unfortunately I'd only be interpreting what the translator said.

Specifically: "the meaning of it" when referring to the pendant. Not the use of it, but meaning. And also the fact that he says it's a secret he'll hold to his grave... pretty much confirms there's something about that item--but it isn't necessarily a use.

But like I said, this is based on the translator's words.
    Siegleyn
    Siegleyn

Post by Siegleyn Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:22 pm

I think he would use "meaning" in any case. Even if it has a function. If it has a function then it's sure linked to the lore. The story and meaning behind this thing is even more intriguing than the function, in my opinion.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:24 pm

Siegleyn, you rock. I couldn't get a good pic of that with my phone. Pretty wild right?
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:27 pm

Please can any of you guys drop the pendant in front of Gwyndolin's fog gate??? I've already drop it on the dark sun symbol rug (where it says the kneel command), nothing happened. Drop it when it says 'enter the fog'. I'm run out of pendants. Also if nothing happens try joining the Darkmoons, and then fight Gwyndolin and check what happens. Also try droping the pendant in front of Gwynevere and join her covenant.
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:15 am

BLA1NE wrote:^Ah man, he doesn't speak english, right? That was a translation? That peeves me a little, because I'd love to really interpret what he said, unfortunately I'd only be interpreting what the translator said.

Specifically: "the meaning of it" when referring to the pendant. Not the use of it, but meaning. And also the fact that he says it's a secret he'll hold to his grave... pretty much confirms there's something about that item--but it isn't necessarily a use.

But like I said, this is based on the translator's words.

Maybe the real Miyazaki is dead and thats who is in the Grave guarded by Sif....
    SEANB240
    SEANB240
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by SEANB240 Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:24 am

Could the girl in the picture be Priscilla? Are there any paintings/statues/etc. of any child holding a doll?

As for the pendant itself, if there really is anything else functional to it, which I doubt, we'll see when people start picking apart the PC edition. I know they already got a lot out of the 360 disc, but I think it will be a lot easier to see whats what in the PC code. I know nothing about that kind of thing though, so don't scream at me if I'm wrong.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:47 am

After that interview I dont think the pendant can be dropped to do anything. I think it might be more of a link that starts a train of lore finding. Lets start with the painting. I think its Gwynevere. But what is that she's holding in her other hand?
    Siegleyn
    Siegleyn

Post by Siegleyn Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:04 am

I think that's Gwyndolin.
    Pendant Theories - Page 4 01

Even though she looks different. Both are holding a stuff in their hands maybe that's how Gwyndolin learned to use magic, from his mother.

Last edited by Siegleyn on Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:31 am

My theory is that this is Gwyndolin's room and the two "female" portraits are of him at different ages. They both seem to have a wand type object in the right hand, are facially similar and pale like Gwyndolin. We can assume that the illusion got some things right about Gwynevere and while fair skinned, she's not as pale as this person. The older picture could be holding Gwydolin's talisman. I toyed with it being Ariamis since the littler version of this person could be holding a brush, however, thanks to Wyrm's findings I am pretty sure Ariamis is male, and possibly the person in one or more of the male portraits around the room. Another reason I think that it's Gwyndolin's room is that there's an oddball painting of Gwynevere, which is stylistically a lot different than the rest of the paintings but coincidentally looks just like the illusion version of Gwynevere. I toyed with the idea of Priscilla as well but the Gwynevere painting seems to be in a place of adoration (right next to the bed) and while I think that she's Priscilla's mother, there's nothing I've found that makes me think Priscilla gave too much of a darn about anyone in Anor Londo, even her mother. Also, the doll to get into the painted world remarks about its "strange dress" which I think is a nod to Priscilla's "fluffy robes" which I think are actually her version of dragon scales or similar feature. She was also drawn into the painting as a child (at least the description of the doll makes it seem that way). Meaning that the second painting, a young adult, means someone would have to go into the painting to see her. Also, as she is also referenced as an "abomination" in the doll's description, it's likely that even as a child she showed dragon features. IN her adult form these features are horns instead of eyebrows, the "dress" and scales around her neck and in her hairline I think. The painting doesn't have any of this. Plus Priscilla has straight hair

DoughGuy....I can't find evidence to specifically rule out that this is Gwynevere. It could be that whoever's room this is was fascinated by Gwynevere and collected the realistic versions of portraits painted by Ariamis and tried to do their own version. That would still point to this being Gwydolin's room in all likelihood. My only concern with the theory is the change in not only chest size from real to illusion form but also skin tone (like I said before, pretty sure she's not quite this pale), hair style and color and demeanor (happy in illusion, serious in realistic portraits). Also, when I looked at more Rembrandt and era typical pieces I couldn't tell you how many little boys were dressed like the youngest painting with similar hairstyles. I believe that the person in red is meant to be an ambiguously gendered child.

Last edited by skarekrow13 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:36 am

Ok then, you've convinced me that the one holding the pendant is Gwyndolin. SO where do we go from there?
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:41 am

Made some edits while you posted Dough big grin

Assuming it's Gwyndolin (while I see it that way it's just my interpretation) that's a great question. I dropped a pendant at the portrait but didn't get any results. I intended to go back and drop then quit/reload a pendant but haven't gotten around to it yet. I think I need an extra pendant or two to test again actually. Wyrm's trying some logical things by using it near actual Gwyndolin rather than painting version. If someone can follow up and help Wyrm test that's where I would start. I'm gonna be in the forest this weekend and if I get pendants I'll be happy to help test.

EDIT: It's interesting that the youngling in red prominently displays the pendant yet the lady (guy?) in black doesn't. I don't know what this means apart form possibly meandering philosophical stuff such as a loss of self or identity. I do find it interesting though......
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:47 am

You see from the directors wording I dont think we do drop it and quit/reload. I think its designed to be the forest clue in a scavenger hunt. So atm we have pendant > painting > Gwynevere/Gwyndolin. We then have to link Reah/Petrus into it. Eventually from these links we'll get the lore it represents. I'll probably be playing tomorrow so Ill try to do some searching around anor londo and the pics, maybe look around Dolin's room/Gwyns tomb, make some theories of my own. However I also have my Magical Thoery homework so dont get your hopes up.

EDIT: Also dont forget the pendants true description about the fond memories. Atm it seems that represents Gwyn's kids childhood before the curse of the undead, Gwyns hollowing, Seath's craziness and the bed of chaos.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:56 am

That's a good lore interpretation. Kinda what I was thinking with why the older Dolin doesn't have it in the painting. After childhood maybe it all went to hell and "bye bye fond memories."
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:59 am

Feels like Im on the edge of a breakthorugh. Young Dolin has pendant, older Dolin doesnt, you have it in the asylum, reah's corpse has it after petrus kills her. Arrgh. Firefox stop telling me things are spelt wrong, too much red! After Dolin is mutated by Seath the pendant goes away, Reah is taken by Seath, Gwyndolin is a male dressed as a female, only succesful one oof Seaths experiments.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:10 am

Don't forget Muninn (Snuggly) thinks it's neat and gives you a guilty dead guy's ear for it. What if.......please don't hit me......

There's no true owner to it. Perhaps the pendant is a marker for those that seek comfort. Not sure if there's a "timeline" we can attach to it but if you start the game with it.....you are thrust into the asylum cold and alone. You could use some comfort. Gwyndolin would likely predate you since the painting does but man did he need comfort. I went back to the Asylum before Catacombs/ToG meaning the trade to Muninn would be next. Muninn's words indicate that he/she is seeking comfort. Then I went to ToG and the Reah chain indicating that Reah is the last person of know links to have it and she certainly could have used the comfort. This also places it back in our possession to brink the story back to us to comfort us through the rest of our travels.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 14, 2024 3:40 am