Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Thinking about buying Dragon's Dogma...

WaffleGuy
    WaffleGuy
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Thinking about buying Dragon's Dogma... Empty Thinking about buying Dragon's Dogma...

Post by WaffleGuy Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:59 am

So yeah, I'm thinking about buying it in about 2 weeks. I'm not really informed about this game. I'm interested in how you people like it and how you play.

Also, I'm thinking of making a Mystic Knight. I have no idea whatsoever how the leveling works and how to make that build efficient. So tips are welcome. I can't watch a lot of playthroughs since I'm stuDYING for 're-finals' (starts in 2 days, oh dang). silly

EDIT: Interested in all playstyles. Maybe I get convinced to play as a Mage, Warrior, etc.

Last edited by WaffleGuy on Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:01 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : because shut up)
    FexDS
    FexDS
    Webmaster
    Webmaster

Thinking about buying Dragon's Dogma... Empty Re: Thinking about buying Dragon's Dogma...

Post by FexDS Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:07 am

I personally really enjoyed Dragon's Dogma. The game has a somewhat stoic approach to the world and storytelling, and I would advise having a guide handy if you are a completionist, as the world is rather large and a playthrough can easily take 45-90 hours depending on how much content you do (A rushthrough can be less than 5 hours)

The class progression isn't anything too interesting, and the story and world take until endgame to come together, however the little things such as the pawn system (have online assistance and contact with friends without it interfering with your solo experience), crafting and upgrading systems were rather deeper than I expected and a welcome surprise. The world is vast and worthy of exploring, discovery and progression being challenging at times due to the lack of fast travel and limited carry options. Things that can be initially seen as tiresome are later on appreciated as "what forced me to dwell deeper", same as Dark Souls (insert mini rant about fast travel everywhere in DKS2)

Engame is a lot of fun (won't spoil it) and you can easily lose yourself in it without rolling over to NG+. Worth the purchase without hesitation if you are an RPG person, imo happy
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Thinking about buying Dragon's Dogma... Empty Re: Thinking about buying Dragon's Dogma...

Post by Sentiel Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:15 am

Look at the gifs in my signature. Those are some of the spells from Dragon's Dogma.

The game is really very good, although, personally, I'd appreciate if the difficulty was higher and I could play it with people instead of AI characters.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:22 am

Sen you know there has been a hard mode released now?

I recommend the game. The pawn system while it could be more tactical and as Sen said have a total online feature like dark souls, the combat is fun and pretty in depth for an action RPG and exploring the world is interesting (though the boredom of walking on your feet from place to place you've already seen gets a little dull after a while)

Enemies are fun though there could be a little more variety, and some of the classes you can kinda cheese the combat with if you so wish.

One thing I recommend is mute your pawns. They will drive you up the wall by the time you are in end game.

Still though I'd recommend you get it. I havent played the DLC but i heard it's a step up in difficulty and it's a fun 50 hour game without the DLC (I didn't even do all the side missions)
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:29 am

I know about Hard Mode Serious. I got Dark Arisen edition, which already has all previously released DLC in it. I never played the game on anything else than Hard Mode. The mode doubles the damage you receive, halves your Stamina regen and skills cost twice as much to perform. It's still too easy, even Bitterblack Isle and the new super difficult DLC. You just fight a horde of strong enemies, but nothing new in it. The only really tough fight was three Dire Drakes with one Frostwyrm. That was HELL and perhaps when you start on Hard Mode and try to clear the bandits on the way to Witchwood, Those were the only really difficult moments in the game, but nothing on Souls.

Bitterblack Isle, the DLC area is very similar to Souls games in it's atmosphere, enemies and the way it plays. I really like it.

But yeah, Serious is right. Mute your pawns. It may not seem as a big deal at first, but when they tell you that Duke could stand to comission some new roads for the fiftyfourth time, you kinda want to throw them off a cliff.
    WaffleGuy
    WaffleGuy
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by WaffleGuy Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:36 am

Thanks guys! And don't worry, those paws were annoying in a 5min. video I saw. I'm glad you can actually mute them xD
    So, if I wanted to make a Mystic Knight, does it matter when I change from a Fighter(?) to a Mystic Knight? Does it only change the special attacks you can unlock or does it have an effect on stats too? happy

Also, I read that quicktravel was added since the DLC. I may be mistaken though silly
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:01 am

Basically you can start as any class, and you can access any class.

The point is you use them all and learn passive abilities which you use and equip, but use the class you most like the attacks of. The mystic knight is IMO the best class though (seconded by the magic archer,he has homing attacks, nuff said)

I think levelling up in different classes affects your stats, but because the game is PvE only it makes virtually no difference- most important thing is abilities, equipment and pawns, don't worry about your stats too much
    WaffleGuy
    WaffleGuy
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by WaffleGuy Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:16 am

Right, I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 10:49 pm