Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+13
SlakeMoth
DxV04
Doelker
nsane32
ublug
RANT
Gawain
Spurgun
TheBigLebowski
DoughGuy
DamageCK
sonofartorias
chaosrave
17 posters

dragons dogma?

chaosrave
    chaosrave
    Regular
    Regular

dragons dogma? Empty dragons dogma?

Post by chaosrave Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:29 am

has anyone gotten dragons dogma? because id really like to know why everyone seems to love this game so much... visually its weaker than dark souls and skyrim and the only interesting thing I see about its battle system is that you can jump on enemies and climb them... seems that those pawns are quite annoying as they talk every 5 seconds, and Ive also heard there is no efficient fast travel even tho it is supposed to be a large game... why would I get this game when i can just get skyrim instead? just wondering what all the hype is about
    sonofartorias
    sonofartorias
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

dragons dogma? Empty Re: dragons dogma?

Post by sonofartorias Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:32 am

why because it's fun that's why.

p.s. your in the wrong area
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:26 am

I've watched all the reviews too. But I've also spoken to a couple people who have it and they love it. I'm definitely going to play it. Also, did you play the demo at all? It was sick.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:39 am

1. You can lower the amount the pawns talk
    2. There is no fast travel because nighttime is a lot harder than daytime and the devs didnt want you just skipping it. You can buy limited teleport stones though.
    3. If less than amazing visuals break a game for you then your missing the point.
    4. The battle system is really good, climbing on enemies is amazing and managing stamina is a challenge.
    Also this belongs in off topic so much.
    TheBigLebowski
    TheBigLebowski
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by TheBigLebowski Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:41 am

I have it, but I keep getting back to Dark Souls lol.
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:44 am

^That is the reason i haven’t bought dragons dogma yet. I know i couldn’t play it when i still have things to do in dark souls. So i might as well wait until Dragons Dogma is a bit cheaper.
    TheBigLebowski
    TheBigLebowski
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by TheBigLebowski Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:56 am

Spurgun wrote:^That is the reason i haven’t bought dragons dogma yet. I know i couldn’t play it when i still have things to do in dark souls. So i might as well wait until Dragons Dogma is a bit cheaper.

Well it's not that I had anything left to do in dark Souls. I did everything, but the online thingy is so addictive. I made a char in DD and it's an awesome game, will play it more and more in the next coming weeks I am sure.
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:04 am

Yes, i was talking about PvP. I simply can’t stop.
    TheBigLebowski
    TheBigLebowski
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by TheBigLebowski Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:06 am

Spurgun wrote:Yes, i was talking about PvP. I simply can’t stop.

Oh ok, that wasn't clear in your earlier post. But DD is a great game nontheless. Too bad they didnt include an online system in it like Demon/Dark Souls. FromSoftware has gold in it's hands with that refreshing online part of the game. Hope more developers will follow such creativity.
    Gawain
    Gawain
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Gawain Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:29 pm

Im getting dragon's dogma to make the wait for the flashback dlc faster..
    Seen reviews, even asked friends who hav it, and seems fun. I suggest you all do the same happy
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:31 pm

i did the same thing with wkc2 spur, i just got it and im playing it while on my dks break and i like it, i went with the axes since they look awesome and i noticed there's a lot of weapons that are in the souls games as well.
    ublug
    ublug
    Forum Lord
    Forum Lord

Post by ublug Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:13 pm

Looking forward to playing this as well. It's not my preferred fighting mechanics, but it looks fun. Just need to find the free time to actually play it..

Also moved to off-topic. More DD threads there as well.
    nsane32
    nsane32
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by nsane32 Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:41 pm

havent any of you seen the dragons Dogma tips and pics thread also dont get skyrim after playing Dark souls the combat feels way to basic also the game is great worth playing
    Doelker
    Doelker
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Doelker Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:48 pm

I've got the game. At the beginning it felt kind of slow but as you make your progress and start doing side quests it gets better and better.
    The combat system is not that bad and the good use of pawns can help you a lot with the big enemies.
    It is not an easy game either and has a huge world to explore, although sometimes I wish I could fast travel at least to the main cities.
    Its a really good game, and its one that might keep you busy until the DLC arrives.
    DxV04
    DxV04
    Revived
    Revived

Post by DxV04 Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:44 pm

I disagree with TS with regards to the graphics. The graphics are way better than skyrim except for the regular NPC animations. The more important NPCs get better treatment. But who cares!!! That does not affect game play. I will put any dragon from skyrim next to any of the beast in DD side by side and I bet you will walk away more impressed with DD.

IMO. I also have played skyrim.

Don't belive the naysayers.
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:48 pm

So definitely worth getting? What's the estimated game completion timd? I'm one of those dudes who needs to explore every inch and get every item and complete all quests.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:11 pm

Well ask Bio, he's been playing around 5 hours a day since in came out. Thats at least 60 hours I believe, in fact its way more. There is a lot of quests and just stuff to explore.
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:27 pm

I got Dragon's Dogma and was vastly disappointed by it and this has nothing to do with the fact that I have been playing Dark Souls for seven months solid. Graphically it is inferior to Dark Souls and, incidentally, Skyrim in my opinion. Combat can be a mess in confined spaces because the much lauded pawns get in the way. In fact I thought the pawns were a right royal pain in the a**. For a start they hardly ever shut up and, although you can instruct your personal pawn to pipe down a bit, it doesn't seem to make much difference and most of what they say is just inane chatter.

I expect someone who plays a lot of multiplayer on line is used to this but I'm not which is why I suppose I didn't like it but, hey, different people like different things. I wouldn't tell anyone not to buy it. This is just my personal opinion.
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:34 pm

How long did you play? I hate to use the "give it a chance" saw, but I didn't really start to enjoy it until I took down my first ogre:

Spoiler:

Another thing I really liked was some of the big dungeons have a very Mines of Moria-ish feel to them, particularly when you have lanterns on. Again, not something I saw before maybe the 10 hour mark.
    nsane32
    nsane32
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by nsane32 Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:34 pm

hmm I found the pawns to be very helpful and you can walk through them but I guess its just different tastes
    DxV04
    DxV04
    Revived
    Revived

Post by DxV04 Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:42 pm

SlakeMoth wrote:I got Dragon's Dogma and was vastly disappointed by it and this has nothing to do with the fact that I have been playing Dark Souls for seven months solid. Graphically it is inferior to Dark Souls and, incidentally, Skyrim in my opinion. Combat can be a mess in confined spaces because the much lauded pawns get in the way. In fact I thought the pawns were a right royal pain in the a**. For a start they hardly ever shut up and, although you can instruct your personal pawn to pipe down a bit, it doesn't seem to make much difference and most of what they say is just inane chatter.

I expect someone who plays a lot of multiplayer on line is used to this but I'm not which is why I suppose I didn't like it but, hey, different people like different things. I wouldn't tell anyone not to buy it. This is just my personal opinion.

My pawns don't seem to get in the way at all. My 2 mages stay on the perimeter and my warrior cuts them down and holds them down for me for finish moves. I am enjoying it very much. Unfortuantely skyrim's melee does not stand up to this at all. IMO

My pawns are well behaved and I like their chatter. How long did you play? For you to say that MOST of what the say is inane chatter seems like an exaggeration. With that said I agree it comes down to personal preference.
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:25 am

I played about 6 hours I reckon. Long enough to develop a dislike of the game mechanics anyway. I can usually tell if a game is going to do it for me within minutes though, so I reckon I gave it a fair shot.
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:18 am

I played around with it a bit last night and there are several ways to gag your pawns. First, in options just turn voice volume to 0. Second, in the next options page, turn off the option for Pawn subtitles. Now you will never hear a thing from them unless you use the "converse" command while standing in front of one, and then you'll still only get a popup window and no sound. This does not affect any other ambient noise in the game, although it may make NPCs only use text as well.

You can also toggle between the two, so if you want you can still have popup text but no sound, or vice versa.
    DamageCK
    DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:45 am

Sooo... is that a recommendation for the game?
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:04 pm

Like I said I didn't like the game but that's just my personal take on it. On the other hand people like Befowler, whose opinion I respect, do, so it's a case of 'you pays your money & you take a chance' kind of thing. You can download the demo of course but, if what I heard is true, it's a 3 gig chunk, which is the reason I didn't because that's a third of my monthly download allowance. Looking back I wish I had, it would have saved me some money. Oh, the beauty of hindsight!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 5:56 am