Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
FinPeku
lextune
Pesth
Pratix
IV_Mark_VI
9 posters

SL1 playthrough, gear suggestions

IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

SL1 playthrough, gear suggestions Empty SL1 playthrough, gear suggestions

Post by IV_Mark_VI Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:44 am

Hey everyone,

Doing a Darkwraith SL1 run (eventually beating the game) and wanted some suggestions on gear. I am not summoning any NPCs, and doing the whole run solo.

Currently, I'm running:
    Raw Handaxe+5, Heater shield +7, dingy hood, pyro chest, pyro gloves, red skirt from Blighttown (I always forget the names of the items). Armour upgrades I'm not certain where they're at. I think my pyromancy is currently +7 or something, and I have a number of spells.

I'm just about to go through Anor Londo, and I fear the solo fight with O&S. I know I'll have to play very well, with my gear topped out. Once I kill 1 of them, I don't worry about the 1 on 1 fight; I can handle that I think.

So, to the specifics:
    What weapon should I use? I'll be able to upgrade to a lightning handaxe before the fight, but they're lightning resistant. Perhaps Handaxe with charcoal resin would be better?

For a shield, I normally use eagle shield but I don't have the str this time. What would be a good shield to use?

Suggestions on rings? Thunderstone plate ring I normally use, but I wonder if that will even help in this fight.

Armour suggestions?

Anyways, the handaxe is a good weapon; swings fast, medium damage, buffs help it more than a higher damage slower weapon. Think the handaxe will work fine, but should I lightning it or not?
    Pratix
    Pratix
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

SL1 playthrough, gear suggestions Empty Re: SL1 playthrough, gear suggestions

Post by Pratix Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:09 am

Don't lightning it. O&S both rely on Lightning. So their defense to it is high. I say wear DWGR if you have it. Rolling is key to this fight. And kill O first. Smough is easy even when hes super mode. Try a fire buff. It might be good. And Kindle the bonfire to 20 for max estus.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:13 am

Yeah I didn't pick up the DWGR yet. I'm debating:

Getting a lightning weapon. Returning to the forest, farm the forest guys for a bit. Get a 2nd weapon, Raw+5, get the DWGR.

What about armour/shield? Heater shield has been working very well, but its LIT resistance is kinda crappy.

Edit: Currently using the Cloranthy ring and it's relaly, really good in this run because your stamina is so low.
    Pratix
    Pratix
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Pratix Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:22 am

Shield really depend. If you plan on blocking or dodging, I personally dodge a lot more. But for shield I'd use any wooden shield. Or the Effigy shield. The Effigy sheild block lightning really good. Although its in the tombs. Maybe a suicide run?

Armor: could you tell me what the equip load including the weapons. And ill find an armor. Also use the Wolfs Ring.

Weapon: For the garden do a suicide run for ELite Knight armor. It might be good, like only using the chest. Also use fire against them. Thats their weakness.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:52 am

equipment load is:

Handaxe: 2
    Heater shield: 2
    Dingy hood: 0.8
    Tattered Cloth: 2.7
    Tattered Cloth Manchette: 1.6
    Crimson Robes: 3.5

Total: 12.6 (fast roll)

Encumbrance: 51.0 (12.7 is the highest weight I can have with afast roll without the DWGR)
    Pratix
    Pratix
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Pratix Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:58 am

Okay here is my suggestion.

Get RoFaP, and DWGR. Then wear:

Knight helm
    Elite knight chest
    EK leg
    EK arms.

46 poise. And very strong when upgraded.

http://tinyurl.com/8drzb5n
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:56 pm

This is strictly PvE for now, so I'm not sure how much poise matters, but Elite Knight armour is good regardless.
    Pesth
    Pesth
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Pesth Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:15 pm

Have aways a +10 fire and a +5 lightning weapons with you all times, well... you're not using the souls for anything else anyways big grin
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:23 pm

Yeah but getting souls is a pain. Good luck pvp, and I can't be summoned for many bosses. Going for Lit+5 first, then going to open the forest and grind those guys if I need souls for something. But I really don't want to overdo it. This is just to get me through the game...
    lextune
    lextune
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by lextune Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:35 pm

Sorry, but there is some bad info here.

Ornstein does indeed have extremely high lightning defense, but fatty is INCREDIBLY weak to lightning. It cuts right through him like butter.

Take down S with a lightning weapon, then O with a fire/chaos weapon.
    Pesth
    Pesth
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Pesth Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:37 pm

you can get a +7/8 fire/chaos weapon before O&S easy, you just need to suicide for the ember on demons ruins and kill some black knights across lordran or get the spoils of the great hollow, i just killed that duo with a +8 broadsword (and +15 great combustion)
    Pesth
    Pesth
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Pesth Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:38 pm

lextune wrote:Sorry, but there is some bad info here.

Ornstein does indeed have extremely high lightning defense, but fatty is INCREDIBLY weak to lightning. It cuts right through him like butter.

but when you kill orstein and fight super smough he becomes very resistent to lightning anyway
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:48 pm

Ok. Well my current plan is to go for lightning, use that to get fire
    FinPeku
    FinPeku
    Chat Moderator

Post by FinPeku Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:53 pm

Any fire weapon will be good against O & S. I recommend either Hand axe, battle axe or reinforced club. Are you going to proceed to ng+?

If you are, then I recommend getting yourself 2 reinforced clubs. One +10 fire, and one +5 lightning. Those will be the only weapons you'll need in PvE. Add some pyromancies, power within, maiden skirt, dingy robe, tattered cloth manchette (pyro set gloves), and crown of dusk or wanderer hood depending on situation, and you're all set. I have used ring of fap with wolf ring, dwgr is not needed. For PvP, you can change wolf ring to dwgr and use the elite knight and knight set pieces if you like.

There are many good shields you can use. Usually grass crest shield is the best choice.

Remember to visit great hollow to hunt those crystal lizards for extra slabs. There are plenty of guides on youtube how to get them.

I have invaded with my SL1 in anor londo a lot and it's just awesome to beat those high level guys with a SL 1 build. In PvP i often use lightning hand axe. But don't overlook the jagged ghost blade either. It's bleed effect destroys firesage demon, asylum demon and stray demon.

Here is my SL 1 beating ng+ four kings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hQ5-lG2FME
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:30 pm

I've done O&S one NG and NG+ as sl12, and my strategy was always to dodge. It probably takes a little longer but it's safer.
    They both have slow, telegraphed attacks. I like a long weapon so I can get my poke in the get out of range.
    You're right, the second part is easier, but the flying butt lightning slam will always one hit kill you, so be cautious and never overstay your welcome.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:34 pm

Yep. A long weapon isn't an option; with 12 STR and 8 DEX, I don't think any weapons fall into that category.
    lextune
    lextune
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by lextune Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:01 pm

Pesth wrote:

but when you kill orstein and fight super smough he becomes very resistent to lightning anyway

....hence me saying: "then O with a fire/chaos weapon".
    kiwi_commander
    kiwi_commander
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by kiwi_commander Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:32 am

IV_Mark_VI wrote:Hey everyone,

Doing a Darkwraith SL1 run (eventually beating the game) and wanted some suggestions on gear. I am not summoning any NPCs, and doing the whole run solo.

Currently, I'm running:
    Raw Handaxe+5, Heater shield +7, dingy hood, pyro chest, pyro gloves, red skirt from Blighttown (I always forget the names of the items). Armour upgrades I'm not certain where they're at. I think my pyromancy is currently +7 or something, and I have a number of spells.

I'm just about to go through Anor Londo, and I fear the solo fight with O&S. I know I'll have to play very well, with my gear topped out. Once I kill 1 of them, I don't worry about the 1 on 1 fight; I can handle that I think.

So, to the specifics:
    What weapon should I use? I'll be able to upgrade to a lightning handaxe before the fight, but they're lightning resistant. Perhaps Handaxe with charcoal resin would be better?

For a shield, I normally use eagle shield but I don't have the str this time. What would be a good shield to use?

Suggestions on rings? Thunderstone plate ring I normally use, but I wonder if that will even help in this fight.

Armour suggestions?

Anyways, the handaxe is a good weapon; swings fast, medium damage, buffs help it more than a higher damage slower weapon. Think the handaxe will work fine, but should I lightning it or not?

My SL1 Character is fairly advanced now, but here is my general build. I try to take out Nito fairly early so I can get the family masks from patches. You can try trading for them I believe they are invaluable for a SL1 play through.

My weapons are hand axes only bc of DPS one handed and I really like them. I Chaos +5 and Lightning +5 for high elemental damage.

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=3365164784131806
    shagtheturtle
    shagtheturtle
    Regular
    Regular

Post by shagtheturtle Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:33 am

I use the following on mine

Crown of dusk
    +5 painting guardian armor
    +5 black iron gauntlets
    +5 black iron leggings
    Dwgr
    Bellowing dragon crest ring
    +5 chaos hand axe
    +5 lightning battle axe
    +14 reinforced club ( for buffing )
    +14 grass crest shield or +5 crest, depending on the situation
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:08 pm

Thanks for the build Kiwi. I wont' do any trading; I want this to be totally solo, no help at all. No glitches, no nothing. I didn't even start with master key.

@shag: looks like some good end game gear. Have to get it first!

Some really good advice here. Knocking out Smough with a lightning handaxe I did not know about. I thought they were both highly resistant to lightning. The either whittle down Orn with my lightning hand axe and a grass crest shield, or something else. Not sure, but 1 on 1 I don't think I'll have an issue.

Once I take them out, the lord vessel will help me get around to buffing my weapons.

Ok! Looking forward to finishing this run. Some parts were tough, and losing your souls really sucks as you don't have a good way to earn more (SL1's getting summoned is fairly rare I think).
    PaPaSmVrf
    PaPaSmVrf
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by PaPaSmVrf Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:23 pm

Good man, was about to post this, glad you hit it first. I used a lightning great club +5 and killed fatty in 6-8hits, when he was buffed, 10-12.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 3:40 am