Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+22
zzCLR2Rzz
moomootv
Forum Pirate
Back Lot Basher
gammlesvarte
Yesuurd
Akatik
PPG-3-
Serious_Much
Tolvo
Katakato
Rin
nhbdy
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
justwant2play
ErrJon6661
deathsdragon
RANT
reim0027
meridam99
User
jagger_1243
26 posters

all i see is tanks

Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

all i see is tanks - Page 3 Empty Re: all i see is tanks

Post by Forum Pirate Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:10 pm

my fun is in efficiency, being the best i possibly can, and winning because of it. i'll happily stomp all over samey noobs who invade me untill they figure things out. i'll straight teach them if they ask but i wont hobble myself to make the fights harder unless i'm practicing a specific skill. thats how i get rusty, forget the advanced techniques of the more efficient builds because i didn't use them. it alters my playstyle, makes me to cautions or to agressive and both cost matches. if you dont get your fun winning, why do you play? why not play games like advanced wars or starcraft with nearly infinite strategic options and where unconventional strategies can dominate because no one has a plan for them? i know every move of every weapon in the game, being unconventional in dark souls will mean you eat estoc.
    Akatik
    Akatik
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Akatik Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:16 pm

The thing is, if light armor and rolling was the best option, everyone would be doing that and there would be a lack of tanks.

People do what works best.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:19 pm

I assume you are also fine with farming in PvP areas 3v1, because that is another way to guarantee a victory.

Though I suppose the above statement is getting off topic. So, in an Ideal Dark Souls for you, every Player and Toon is the exact same? Or do rather like the stage before hand where people haven't figured it out, so while you have the benefit they have the disadvantage. If there came a balance that made light armor viable, would you be fine with that or disagree with the game being balanced out more?
    zzCLR2Rzz
    zzCLR2Rzz
    Casual
    Casual

Post by zzCLR2Rzz Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:32 pm

Everyone plays the game differently, people have their preferences, should not call someone a noob because they make an endurance/vitality build and use harvels and play to their strengths that is just them using the tolls given them for the greatest chance of success.

everyont that does not play the way you do is not a noob.

there is my $0.02
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:35 pm

hey what the hell? why -1 me? i said nothing inflamitory, shared my views, and asked honest (if a bit off topic) questions. is that not what forums are for? i didn't condemn your ways i simply disagreed and explaind why. and no i dont farm nor do i want or expect to always win, but i will always maximise my chances of winning a 1v1 fight. cheating or ganging up cheapens my victories and lessens the skills i spent many hundreds of hours getting. if lighter armor were a better option for nonmages i would use it happily. but it is what it is and it is, for a large portion of my pvp characters, obsolete. my pve characters play hollow and i roleplay in whatever gear fits the character but pvp is a competition so i play to win and affirm my skills, a loss is a learning experience.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:40 pm

Sorry about that, I kind of assumed it would minimize your message, but then I saw the vote thing afterwards. Apologies about that, I hadn't seen that forum function before. Feel free to minus me, for whatever exactly that means.

To me though that does seem a bit hypocritical, you want to have assured kills, yet you don't. Frankly I can't understand your sort of logic, but that doesn't mean it's faulty. Merely you and I are not on the same thought pattern I think, and I don't think we'll really be able to sway each other's minds in any which way.
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:45 pm

I was lurking and giving rep to people lol

on topic: There are 4 main types of players out there:

1- Tank STR builds with Heavy armor, heavy weapons and fat roll

2- Dex builds with medium armor, eg. elite knight or silver knight, with small weapons and light roll

3- Mage/faith/pyro with light armor, light weapons or Moonlight GS and light roll

4-Havel's or Giants armor with 50 VIT and END, 16 str and 14 dex, lightning weapon and dark wood grain ring
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:54 pm

Tolvo wrote:Sorry about that, I kind of assumed it would minimize your message, but then I saw the vote thing afterwards. Apologies about that, I hadn't seen that forum function before. Feel free to minus me, for whatever exactly that means.

To me though that does seem a bit hypocritical, you want to have assured kills, yet you don't. Frankly I can't understand your sort of logic, but that doesn't mean it's faulty. Merely you and I are not on the same thought pattern I think, and I don't think we'll really be able to sway each other's minds in any which way.
    i want hard fought tense kills. i'd rather just barely lose than **** face but i suppose garunteed kills would be the ultimate goal but it would have to be bacause i am become death and my skills are unmatched. the climb to the top is what i relish and i rarely stop till i can see it even if i never stand there myself. when i feel i'm at my limit i admire my kingdom and bringing others up to my level becomes the goal.
    meridam99
    meridam99

Post by meridam99 Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:15 pm

Finally got through the whole thread, and I will apologize in advance that my OCD is all the way to 11 right now, but reading these posts....argh. No one is flaming or anything and the points are logical, congent, and generally concise, but COME ON PEOPLE, can you please use some punctuation. It is taking every little bit of my self control to keep myself from editting each and every post and add punctuation! You guys are doing this on purpose aren't you!

As a side note, I wear Black Iron chest, Legs, Black Manchette, and the Crown. I do it because I think it looks awesome. I wear the Ring of Favor and Protection all the time, and switch off the other ring with whatever I am doing. I don't even have Havel's armor on this guy, and the only time I put on the Stone Armor and Havel's Ring was when I fought the 18 Kings (joking, but I have had up to 6 spawn!)
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:43 pm

this is why most of my recent build have been cosplay build so i don't have to think about equip. just get the armor and the stats to use it with a roll that works for said cosplayed character. so much easier.
    jagger_1243
    jagger_1243
    Casual
    Casual

Post by jagger_1243 Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:12 pm

when i made this post i wasnt expecting an all out war over witch stratagy is best, because honestly there is no best playstyle only good players. i honestly think that someone going complete naked could beat the biggest tank out there if they were good enough granted the tank mode is easyest to play . i would just like to see some ppl opt out of the easy win and take a more rewarding win
    eneq
    eneq
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by eneq Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:44 pm

I also think there is a discrepancy on what everyone think is considered a Tank, a Tank in actuality is just someone who has stacked poise to a level where he can take more hits and do his thing. A BS could also stack poise just so he can get close without risking stunlocking etc.

That said if Tanking is Poise stacking then someone with Havels arms&Legs+Poise ring, or a medium armor setup+poise ring is up where a full giant +5 set (exluding ring and excluding helm since we all wear masks) is. So dont focus too much on heavy armor when thinking about tanking...

The Tank discrepancy comes back to a fundamental issue with poise and stun recovery logic.
    jagger_1243
    jagger_1243
    Casual
    Casual

Post by jagger_1243 Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:13 am

id say a tank is a player with really good defence(witch comes from heavy armor) good poise(from heavy armor)and a really big heavy hitting wep, and there stratagy is bash on you till your dead (stunlock)

i dont like it
    ErrJon6661
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ErrJon6661 Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:19 am

@Jagger Tanks as you define them are easy to punish. Roll attack, roll attack roll attack, or just roll and bs.
    jagger_1243
    jagger_1243
    Casual
    Casual

Post by jagger_1243 Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:40 am

im sl-188 most tanks at that lvl are pretty good at not being backstabed
    ErrJon6661
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ErrJon6661 Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:13 am

That is true. But someone power attacks with a large weapon and you have quite the window where they can't do anything about it. Even a normal attack with a ultra greatsword is easily punishable.
    Rin
    Rin
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Rin Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:01 am

ok ill just tell y wt i feel...i drs thers close to no tanks a tank in the world of rpg is a build with high defence a medium attack and realy slow movemen in drs most people think a tanks a dude with heavy armour on but some1 whos as fast as a naked dude rolls like a ninja and has devastating attacks is not a tank its 90% of the time some1 that just cant win and cant stand losing i faced a real tank pro last night he dident ninja flip he hat like 99 vit and used a weapon that he liked to use not the strongest in attack we had a fair fight n at the end we both fell of a cliff;P... some1 stated that its ok to use wt y like coz some people like different play styles i can respect that but wt yr saying is 60% of drs players like ti ninja roll in gains...another dude said that if they nrerf ninja ring most players will resort to goin light...the ring is ment for light armour users that havent gt enoth str to shied themselves from powerfull attacks tanks can use havels shield and light armour users cant why should they also be able to use the best form of defence for a light armour user...with that said this is just my oppinion
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:10 am

Let's say you have a 100 pound weight capacity.
    Equip Havels ring and you can have 150 pounds equipped.
    Or, equip Dark Wood Grain and equip 100 pounds equipped, but a modified weight capacity.

With havels ring, you can equip 37.5 pounds in order to get the fastest roll.
    With Dark Wood Grain, you can equip 50 pounds, and you get a special roll that is even faster.

Dark Wood Grain ring is the equivalent of 2 Havels Rings, in addition to having an additional effect of moving faster pretty much in every way. It isn't a debate about what is effective, it's about what is broken. This ring is broken, and in desperate need of rebalance.

Change the ring? The tanks will vanish over night.
    meridam99
    meridam99

Post by meridam99 Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:15 am

Rin wrote:ok ill just tell y wt i feel...i drs thers close to no tanks a tank in the world of rpg is a build with high defence a medium attack and realy slow movemen in drs most people think a tanks a dude with heavy armour on but some1 whos as fast as a naked dude rolls like a ninja and has devastating attacks is not a tank its 90% of the time some1 that just cant win and cant stand losing i faced a real tank pro last night he dident ninja flip he hat like 99 vit and used a weapon that he liked to use not the strongest in attack we had a fair fight n at the end we both fell of a cliff;P... some1 stated that its ok to use wt y like coz some people like different play styles i can respect that but wt yr saying is 60% of drs players like ti ninja roll in gains...another dude said that if they nrerf ninja ring most players will resort to goin light...the ring is ment for light armour users that havent gt enoth str to shied themselves from powerfull attacks tanks can use havels shield and light armour users cant why should they also be able to use the best form of defence for a light armour user...with that said this is just my oppinion

I didn't read this
    Eliteknight
    Eliteknight
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Eliteknight Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:29 am

Kujii wrote:

I highly doubt that, most of my builds are heavy armor high poise tank builds and none of them use darkwood grain ring.

The medium roll is fine for everything I do anyway. :|

Guy I'm playing most atm is rocking full paladins armor with a zweihander, ring of favor and wolfs ring.
    Akatik
    Akatik
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Akatik Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:47 am

Eliteknight wrote:
    Kujii wrote:

I highly doubt that, most of my builds are heavy armor high poise tank builds and none of them use darkwood grain ring.

The medium roll is fine for everything I do anyway. :|

Guy I'm playing most atm is rocking full paladins armor with a zweihander, ring of favor and wolfs ring.

Yeah, and I have no problem with fat rolling. I don't even have the the DWGR.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:18 pm

i roll around like sonic on speed (how i deal with farmers) and that wouldn't change if the dwgr went away, i'd just only be able to handle 2 or 3 heavy hits instead of 3 or 4 and if im hit that much i'm probably going to lose anyways.
    ErrJon6661
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ErrJon6661 Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:11 pm

Change the ring and flipping mask tanks will disappear. True tanks will still exist because they don't use a broken game mechanic.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:18 pm

This thread is still going?

but no tanks will not disappear, but without ring they'll be more of a tactical choice than jsut doing it because everybody else does. Think it will encourage a more varied choice with armour than present.
    meridam99
    meridam99

Post by meridam99 Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:24 pm

Serious_Much wrote:but no tanks will not disappear.

Did you mean the Double negative "some tanks will disappear" or did you mean "But no"," tanks will not disappear"

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 7:07 am