Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
Ghadis_God
Phoenix Rising
nemesismonkey
cloudyeki
IV_Mark_VI
9 posters

Having trouble parrying Rapiers / Daggers other fast weapons

IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Having trouble parrying Rapiers / Daggers other fast weapons Empty Having trouble parrying Rapiers / Daggers other fast weapons

Post by IV_Mark_VI Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:05 pm

So I was doing some sparring last night, and was practising my parrying. Many of the weapons I can parry on the 2nd swing; block the first, then hit parry for things like katanas.

But whether it was due to lag or some other reason, I couldn't parry the 2nd swing of some other weapons, unless I let the first swing connect. Immediately after I blocked, I hit parry, and it was always too late, and only occasionally doing a partial parry.

Is it lag? Or do you have to let the first hit connect and then hit parry for these fast weapons?
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Having trouble parrying Rapiers / Daggers other fast weapons Empty Re: Having trouble parrying Rapiers / Daggers other fast weapons

Post by cloudyeki Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:09 pm

I've the most luck just parrying fast weapons, mostly because I just smash l2 as they approach. Give that a try, idk if it'll work for you or not.
    nemesismonkey
    nemesismonkey
    Casual
    Casual

Having trouble parrying Rapiers / Daggers other fast weapons Empty Re: Having trouble parrying Rapiers / Daggers other fast weapons

Post by nemesismonkey Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:10 pm

or doing blind parries. about the only way to parry those fast weapons. got to take a whiff first.
    block to parry is almost always too slow to work for them.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:22 pm

Yeah in a real fight, I just hit parry once in awhile, trying to catch a swing. Can't do it much or they'll anticipate and move for a BS. But if they're standing in front of you spamming R1 (trying to learn how to counter buffed weapons) that's exactly what I want to parry.
    Phoenix Rising
    Phoenix Rising
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Phoenix Rising Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:31 pm

Parrying faster weapons like katanas, rapiers, curved swords and spears i normally tank the first hit and parry as im getting hit. If they're spamming R1 it usually works.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:35 pm

Daggers are really hard to parry, for rapiers you generally need the blind parry. If you press forward+L2 like a kick, the parry will occur toward the start of the animation instead of the end. You might be able to land a 2nd hit parry on a rapier like that.

Edit: It won't work on a buffed rapier but you can always poise parry it. Make sure to get as close to them as possible, and parry just as or slightly before they hit you the first time. You should be able to parry the second hit.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:40 pm

I just wouldn't try to parry daggers unless you're using the target shield pr parrying dagger (then it works beautifuly) because the animation is to slow to catch up with the dagger for several swings, and the parry spamming leaves you open to a backstab.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:57 pm

I know the target shield has more frames, but do these frames occur at a different time than the normal shields? Do they parry 'faster' than a normal shield?
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:59 pm

IV_Mark_VI wrote:I know the target shield has more frames, but do these frames occur at a different time than the normal shields? Do they parry 'faster' than a normal shield?

they have a different parry animation that has a larger parry window, if you just equip one of the target shield, buckler or parry dagger and press L2 you'd see what we mean.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:04 pm

Yes, I have. So say the animation lasts 15 frames for both Target and Regular shield, and Target has 8 frames as opposed to 6 (pulling numbers out of my a** since I don't know them); does the target shield's parry frames occur before, after, or both compared to the regular shield?
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:13 pm

I'd have to say after based on my experience, but I can't say for sure. If I remember correctly the parry window is around the same length as 2 dagger swings, so you are virtually garunteed a parry if you parry into r1 spam. Better kill them then though, because they'll likely be looking for you to try again so they can bs you.
    DarkW17
    DarkW17
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DarkW17 Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:55 pm

Honestly you will have great difficulty with any shield but a parry shield or no shield...I have no problems with daggers or rapiers if I am close and tank then parry with a dark hand tho....you must have use a dark hand or parry shield IMO!

I don't have much expierence with any 'parry' shields...I do know they have larger window due to the different ani....but I don't think they are 'faster' than a dark hand...please correct me if I am wrong tho!

Always tank then parry quick weapons...if they don't bite with a 2nd swing....then keep your distance and bait them into a roll attack...they are easiest to parry with any shield!

Last edited by DarkW17 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:58 pm

Even a buffed quick weapon? That was why I was practicing, because I host, and invaders always come in with some kind of buff (and I hate going back to the bonfire after every fight... boring). So I pumped my VIT to 50, my STR to 50, dex to 40, and end to ... 45 I think it is right now. Planning on pushing it higher.

Seeing how well I can do without going with any magic at higher level fights. I figure I'll learn better on how to at least counter spells if nothing else.

Have to learn how to time avoiding a WoG right after I get backstabbed... must practice...

Last edited by IV_Mark_VI on Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
    DarkW17
    DarkW17
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DarkW17 Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:05 pm

Well IMO with buffed weapons you need to weigh the odds...like will your parry ohko kill them? If so then yes its worth tanking 1 hit!

Will you just mame then? Then no avoid it and go for a bs or stunlock ect!

The thing is people with buffed weapons tend to be hyper aggresive...escpecially when the buffs wearing off so they tend to spam...feel them out and like I said roll attacks of any weapon are very easy to parry!

Also don't ever try to parry a buffed weapon that your not comfortable parry normally...just common sense really I guess!
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:09 pm

Actually what I do when I host is I don't allow them to buff. I get close to them as they spawn and then bow, then immediately go for them. IMO a buff is like any spell, and you should have to get it off outside of combat far enough away that you're safe to cast it, or you risk being BS or damaged as you're casting it. I don't buy this "free cast" business.
    DarkW17
    DarkW17
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DarkW17 Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:24 pm

IV_Mark_VI wrote:Actually what I do when I host is I don't allow them to buff. I get close to them as they spawn and then bow, then immediately go for them. IMO a buff is like any spell, and you should have to get it off outside of combat far enough away that you're safe to cast it, or you risk being BS or damaged as you're casting it. I don't buy this "free cast" business.

Ill give ya +1 for that I don't buy into that crap either...to me a buff is a move if you bow the fights on dude I'm coming for you...or shooting arrows at your face to piss you off so you rush me and fall for my bow cancel parry...either way if you bow prepare to fight if you feel you can get a buff off so be it!

OrnsteinBro
    OrnsteinBro
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by OrnsteinBro Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:18 pm

You have to take a hit and parry immediately when faced against fast weapons like daggers.

However, most people using daggers/rapiers are not going to stand around mashing R1 because the damage output for r1 spam on those weapons is sad; instead they're going to go straight for the backstab. If they're bad at getting the backstab, you can probably bait a parry, but against the laggier/better BS fishers you're going to have to counter backstab.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:55 pm

IV_Mark_VI wrote:Yes, I have. So say the animation lasts 15 frames for both Target and Regular shield, and Target has 8 frames as opposed to 6 (pulling numbers out of my a** since I don't know them); does the target shield's parry frames occur before, after, or both compared to the regular shield?
    The parry frames start at the same time but they last longer for the target/parrying dagger. So parrying a bit early lands you the parry, parrying late does nothing at all.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 6:38 am