Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4 posters

Starting level run - shield choice

Back Lot Basher
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Starting level run - shield choice Empty Starting level run - shield choice

Post by Back Lot Basher Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:37 pm

I've been trying one of those starting level runs (actually, it's not really starting level - I added a few levels to a pyromancer so I could use a shortbow). In any case, I've been using the Heater, and I've just reached Anor Londo. Is it the best choice for one of these low level toons? With so little equip load, I can use the Heater, bow, pyro flame, and either the longsword, bandit knife, or estoc and still be under 25% (with RoFaP). I read that the Heater's stability maxes out at 68, but the Caduceus has a 72 maxed, albeit with one extra unit of weight. I might be able to make the 3.0 shield fit in my loadout with some creative armor combos. Anyone have any experience with the low level gear?

I'm still trying to mentally prepare myself for trying Seath or Nito holding nothing but a Heater....
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Starting level run - shield choice Empty Re: Starting level run - shield choice

Post by FruitPunchNinja Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:53 pm

I would say heater or grass crest is probably the best choice. For a fight like 4kings the dark hand might actually be a good choice also.
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:00 pm

Heater is great. I mostly used the Crest and Dragoncrest shields, and even though they're only 66 stability that's more than enough for NG. I had the same set-up as you, it sounds like. I turned my sl1 into an sl6 so I was able to use a greater variety of weapons.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:00 pm

Heater. Can't beat the weight/stability/damage reduction ratios.
    Back Lot Basher
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Back Lot Basher Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:16 pm

callipygias wrote:Heater is great. I mostly used the Crest and Dragoncrest shields, and even though they're only 66 stability that's more than enough for NG. I had the same set-up as you, it sounds like. I turned my sl1 into an sl6 so I was able to use a greater variety of weapons.

That's exactly why I added a couple levels. I just like to have a few different movesets at my disposal. I'm thinking I'll keep leveling the Heater since it has been pretty trusty so far.

One other question...are chaos weapons a good choice, because of the humanity scaling, or does this become detrimental, since you can easily lose all your humanity in a boss fight? I'm coming up on the decision point where I can either take them to +10 fire, or go the chaos route.

I'm hoping to have a couple of lighting and a couple of flame weapons, since scaling is no good me. Is that the best way to do it?
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:41 pm

Chaos is only good if you're confident in your ability to hang onto your soft humanity, otherwise Fire is better. If you're going to NG+ and beyond forget about Chaos. The last thing you'll be interested in is retrieving your bloodstain.
    Back Lot Basher
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Back Lot Basher Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:44 pm

callipygias wrote:Chaos is only good if you're confident in your ability to hang onto your soft humanity, otherwise Fire is better. If you're going to NG+ and beyond forget about Chaos. The last thing you'll be interested in is retrieving your bloodstain.

Good point...it's not like the bosses don't keep you distracted with their attacks or anything.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 2:00 am