Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
Rynn
ICEFANG
Ghadis_God
somnam
8 posters

Heavy Shield Help

somnam
    somnam
    Casual
    Casual

Heavy Shield Help Empty Heavy Shield Help

Post by somnam Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:21 pm

I decided to pick up a giant's set, shield and weapon included, and its the first time I've ever pulled a heavy shield in a fight, any suggestions for how to make use of it? Or what good the L2 is at all?
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Heavy Shield Help Empty Re: Heavy Shield Help

Post by Ghadis_God Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:23 pm

L2 doesn't do anything the kick can't. They're good for soaking hits and turtling, there's no real trick or special way to use them.
    somnam
    somnam
    Casual
    Casual

Post by somnam Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:31 pm

Thank you, and post patch, will the heavy shields get buffed, maybe gain an actual recoil in pvp?
    ICEFANG
    ICEFANG
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ICEFANG Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:32 pm

It seems they do against spears and rapiers, but not other things, to be honest, they are not worth it what so ever. The extra stability can be helpful, but the Sliver Knight's Shield is so good that it beats the crap out of the smaller greatshields, and the larger ones are so big you can't really use them without fat rolling or some extra END or Havel's Ring.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:36 pm

The kick the shields bash does blocks during the bash.
    Havels Shield has a buff that makes people stagger when hitting you.
    greatshields are mostly good for absorbing hits, and they deflect smaller weapons in PvP in PTDE
    Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Seignar Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:45 pm

If you're going to use a Heavy Shield, use a spear or other thrusting weapon as your main. I only recommend either Havel's Greatshield or Greatshield of Artorias.Havel's will protect against practically all damage and Artorias' is practically unbreakable (Even in PvE)
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:06 am

Havel's is probably the most useful greatshield overall, it blocks so much lightning, fire, and magic with incredible stability. My favorite shield though is the Silver Knight Shield. It has 76 stability, more than enough to tank hits from big weapons and it can parry too. It's also lighter than all the other greatshields (it weighs the same as the eagle shield)
    ssss_2_is_pwnage
    ssss_2_is_pwnage
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by ssss_2_is_pwnage Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:57 pm

Big shield are basically for nothing but damage absorption and less stamina loss. You can throw people far off by having a parrying shield off hand and just parrying them when they're spamming the r1 into your greatshield Heavy Shield Help Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCMWmRyWom3LEugNkhToF71vvgOndZXl492uhns3_qNjje8oHoWMtdwg.
    Uparkaam
    Uparkaam
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Uparkaam Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:23 pm

Also, greatshield of Artorias blocks poison, toxic, bleed and curse build ups. And bonewheel shield can be a decent weapon in the right hands but the attack leaves you wide open for backstabs.
    ICEFANG
    ICEFANG
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ICEFANG Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:30 pm

Uparkaam wrote:Also, greatshield of Artorias blocks poison, toxic, bleed and curse build ups. And bonewheel shield can be a decent weapon in the right hands but the attack leaves you wide open for backstabs.

Since this is in PvP, I can say, no it doesn't. This shield doesn't work right in PvP.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:01 pm

I did a SL65 Iron Tarkus cosplay and found greatshields very effective. Because there's no way they're going to chop through your stamina bar, it limits what attacks they can do. It also had insane anti-pyromancy abilities; GC didn't do too much.

Which left them trying to do chip damage, or circle for backstabs. By unlocking and unleashing my Great Sword (THE great sword), I found I could trade blows or stagger my opponent.

You trade parrying for extremely high stability and normally above average resistances (or amazing ones, in the case of Havels).
    somnam
    somnam
    Casual
    Casual

Post by somnam Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:29 pm

As a more aggressive player, whose parries are standard if not poor, I've kind of found the heavy shield as being excellent and unexciting at the same time.

Thank you, everybody, these fat bastard shields will doubtless be fun for fun builds, but given how easily the L2 can just be walked through, it'll never be a good exchange when I already have the kick.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 6:07 am