Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+14
Zakkia
Whknight
deadagain
Big Ben
FexDS
Reaperfan
Harlequin
Pharaun
theAnimus
meridam99
shadowsoldiers
aRustySlot
Carphil
Serious_Much
18 posters

Random Off-Topic

Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Random Off-Topic - Page 36 Empty Re: Random Off-Topic

Post by Carphil Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:05 pm

I like the Ezio/Altair story, but I never bothered Desmond's, because those ancient/aliens things completely ruin the main plot. Never said I cried, but I really like how they mix things that actually happened with fiction.
    JohnnyHarpoon
    JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JohnnyHarpoon Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:06 pm

You know, I was thinking like 30 seconds ago, "Man, Reaperfan hasn't been around much lately," only to find him active and well just now in the off-topic forums.

And Serious, you would start the 60 page off-topic thread! :face:
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:09 pm

Would you expect anything less of me? twisted

and share johnny what games plots you thought were superb (as noone will cry at games i think silly)
    JohnnyHarpoon
    JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JohnnyHarpoon Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:13 pm

Carphil wrote:I like the Ezio/Altair story, but I never bothered Desmond's, because those ancient/aliens things completely ruin the main plot. Never said I cried, but I really like how they mix things that actually happened with fiction.

I loved the first Assassin's Creed game story-wise. I bought 2 (good enough) and Brotherhood (best/funnest gameplay), but I don't know...it just feels a little "Lost" (the TV show) to me - it started out great with a ton of mysteries that seemingly had direction, but as things went on you realize they had less and less planned from the get-go.

I was actually a huge fan of God of War because I thought the story was awesome (I'm a sucker for Greek mythology), but come game 3 it was the same problem - by far the most smoothed out, fun gameplay, but the absolutely worst story. Apparently, the head developer from 1 and 2 left midway into making 3, though. His original theme for the game was 'Death', which would have been fucking perfect (and more philosophical, honestly), but the new guy who stepped up changed it to 'Hope'. :suspect:
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:18 pm

Johnny, think you finding that is because they meant assassins creed to be a trilogy originally, and they were another series that sold it's soul to the world of marketing and fortune, rather than legacy.

I was impressed by the story in GTAIV actually, i liked how instead of the usual, defeat the gang boss you are now in controll, it ends with the interest dying and revenge insuing, with him not even caring about fame/money, was a refreshing view on your typical crime/mafia type game.
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:22 pm

Agreed, but in God of war, they changed a lot from the mythology to make the game more interesting. Like half of the bosses have superpowers they should not.

Same for gameplay, I remember the first time I killed the hydra in God of War 1. I was so happy! Very interesting way to make the game fun! But the hydra is just one of the mythology monsters, and In God of War 3 he pratically end the mythology by killing everything he could, and nothing more! The story was crap for me.

Diferent from Metal gear solid, where Hideo Kojima made the first game when he already knew how to do the four. The guy was a genious! exepicional plot, amazing spy-like gameplay and fantastic soundtracks. Perfect game is perfect.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:26 pm

lol well I like it when people make games and stick to their guns like what happened with MGS and not like what happens with series that get insanely dragged on.. like Assassins Creed and Modern Warefare..
    JohnnyHarpoon
    JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JohnnyHarpoon Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:28 pm

Serious_Much wrote:Would you expect anything less of me? twisted

and share johnny what games plots you thought were superb (as noone will cry at games i think silly)

No game is more emotional for me than Metal Gear 4, though (surprise surprise). It's not that I cried or anything during it, but Hideo Kojima is simply one of the only video game directors who actually utilizes cinematography, editing, and other really general filmmaking principles in games (I was a film major in school, so I'm pretentious about that stuff).

Heavy Rain is obviously another good example - my roommate at the time watched me play the whole thing. He told his girlfriend on the phone that he couldn't go out because he and I were watching 'a movie', and when she came over she got so mad that it was actually just a videogame. 10 minutes later, both of them were sitting silently, watching me play! Now that's a fucking videogame right there!
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:32 pm

I know, i really loved heavy rain like that because it is almost like a film in itself. It engages you with minimal gameplay while remaining totally story driven.

Would not complain at more of those kind of games coming around I have to admit.

Unfortunately I played MGS4 not having taken in the story of the others (as i was too young when i did for most) but the story was well written, and I don't mind an ending where people are dying everywhere silly
    JohnnyHarpoon
    JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JohnnyHarpoon Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Carphil wrote:Agreed, but in God of war, they changed a lot from the mythology to make the game more interesting. Like half of the bosses have superpowers they should not.

Same for gameplay, I remember the first time I killed the hydra in God of War 1. I was so happy! Very interesting way to make the game fun! But the hydra is just one of the mythology monsters, and In God of War 3 he pratically end the mythology by killing everything he could, and nothing more! The story was crap for me.

Diferent from Metal gear solid, where Hideo Kojima made the first game when he already knew how to do the four. The guy was a genious! exepicional plot, amazing spy-like gameplay and fantastic soundtracks. Perfect game is perfect.

Haha, well yeah, I wouldn't rely on God of War games for Mythological accuracy (that's what my 'classics' class in college was for!)
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:35 pm

Playing MGS4 without playing any other is like eating pizza without tomato sauce, but I'm glad you like it!
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:37 pm

It's like watching toy story 3 without watching the others... lol
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:42 pm

Yea but Toy Story is like: "Hi! How are you? Im fine thanks!"

MGS: "Nano machines make people better at combat as they don't get nervous, thats why the soldiers you are facing now are stronger than before, plus the scientists are working hard to make the new war weapons such as the metal gear, meet me in the lab and I will give you a new gear, the code is 12434..."

Seriously, you need to take a break to rest after each cutscene

Last edited by Carphil on Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : bad english is bad)
    Darkson
    Darkson
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Darkson Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:56 pm

Don't know if the topic "games that made you cry" already expired, but I wanna mention one that made me cry. It was the ending of Lego Racers 2. No kidding.
    I hate you if you laughed at this
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:58 pm

Nah, I used to love Star Wars Lego, where the characters, instead of talking, only could say thing like: "hmm, hun, hua, hm?"
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:00 pm

I LOVED LEGO RACERS 2

the way they talk gobbledygook is awesome.

and my cars the were the ***. I was the coolest kid racing those dumbass and ugly AI cars XD
    JohnnyHarpoon
    JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JohnnyHarpoon Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:07 pm

Carphil wrote:Playing MGS4 without playing any other is like eating pizza without tomato sauce, but I'm glad you like it!

Well yeah, the last sequel in a trilogy (with 3 being a prequel) won't necessarily stand on its own, but it can still be a valid piece unto itself. Return of the Jedi is many people's favorite Star Wars - people who probably like Ewoks, but people nonetheless (my favorite is A New Hope) - and that makes no sense on its own.
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:14 pm

Yea but if you have played all games, yes the plot makes more sense, but is not just that, you also have a very good feeling while playing and you enjoy it more. I almost cried at MGS4 chapter 4 shadow moses, 10 years after the first MGS where the graphics for ps1 sucked but the game was still wonderful, now 10 years later you are in the same place with all those great graphics remembering all you have done. Its just too beautiful
    JohnnyHarpoon
    JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JohnnyHarpoon Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:15 pm

Carphil wrote:Yea but Toy Story is like: "Hi! How are you? Im fine thanks!"

MGS: "Nano machines make people better at combat as they don't get nervous, thats why the soldiers you are facing now are stronger than before, plus the scientists are working hard to make the new war weapons such as the metal gear, meet me in the lab and I will give you a new gear, the code is 12434..."

Seriously, you need to take a break to rest after each cutscene

My old roommate has beaten MGS4 once, maybe twice (and close to 4 years ago to boot), whereas I've lost count (but at least once within the past year), and I could call him right now, ask for the Otacon's code, and he'd repeat it as if he'd heard it yesterday. I've never been able to remember it (to be fair, I usually enter the code that gives you the iPod song :pirat: ).

Last edited by JohnnyHarpoon on Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
    JohnnyHarpoon
    JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JohnnyHarpoon Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:16 pm

Carphil wrote:Yea but if you have played all games, yes the plot makes more sense, but is not just that, you also have a very good feeling while playing and you enjoy it more. I almost cried at MGS4 chapter 4 shadow moses, 10 years after the first MGS where the graphics for ps1 sucked but the game was still wonderful, now 10 years later you are in the same place with all those great graphics remembering all you have done. Its just too beautiful

EXACTLY!
    Darkson
    Darkson
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Darkson Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:18 pm

Serious_Much wrote:I LOVED LEGO RACERS 2

the way they talk gobbledygook is awesome.

and my cars the were the ***. I was the coolest kid racing those dumbass and ugly AI cars XD

Awesome Serious! But Lego Racers 1 was still the best! It was the first game I ever played. And the best experience a game ever gave me. Sounds weird, but I'm serious. Me and my friends played it, but I was just the king of race, I had no problems at all beating rocket racer.

I just loved Lego in general, so much that I once pied myself in my room while building stuff because I was so immersed in the world of endless possibilities. Yeah.

And I could have spent hours building cars in Lego Racers 1 and then racing them.

I was a bad motherfucker back then.

Lol, enough of my childhood.

Last edited by Darkson on Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:21 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : you don't need to know)
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:19 pm

The only code I remember in the whole series is: "Who are the patriots" and "La-li-lu-le-lo" or something xD
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:25 pm

LOL beat this though.

I went to LEGO LAND and played it before it was even released as a game.

it was on a proper booth with racing wheel and stuff, you played against 8 other people there, AND I WON

how awesome is that?
    Darkson
    Darkson
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Darkson Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:29 pm

Lego Racers 1? Really? Lol. I didn't even know Lego Land existed somewhere back then.

And that is pretty badass, but you would have never beaten me when I got the game figured out, never! I was the best. Period.
    Uparkaam
    Uparkaam
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Uparkaam Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:38 pm

I've never played lego racers.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:06 am