Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+9
lordgodofhell
BeeSeaEss
WyrmHero
RANT
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
Emergence
ublug
Carphil
Automancer
13 posters

What small or standard shield do you use against magic?

Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

What small or standard shield do you use against magic? Empty What small or standard shield do you use against magic?

Post by Automancer Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:52 am

As stated in the title, which fully upgraded shield has the best overall magic def? I heard that the Warrior's round shield has the best? Don't quote me on that.
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

What small or standard shield do you use against magic? Empty Re: What small or standard shield do you use against magic?

Post by Carphil Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:57 am

The crest shield, 80% magic defense.

But there are other small shields options, if you feel confortable about only blocking magic and not phisical attacks. Another thing is that small shields burn too much stamina to block

the cracked round shield and the warrior round shield are good examples. The Effigy shield has great elemental defense as well.
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

What small or standard shield do you use against magic? Empty Re: What small or standard shield do you use against magic?

Post by Automancer Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:05 am

Oh, whoops, i meant to say besides the Crest Shield. The Red White shield saved me many times against the Four Kings when i forgot to bring along my Crest Shield.
    ublug
    ublug
    Forum Lord
    Forum Lord

Post by ublug Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:13 am

A +10 magic upgraded warriors round shield has 84,5 magic reduction. For some reason this shield gets a higher magic reduction than the other wooden round shields when upgraded to magic (+30% vs +20% increase over base stats).
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:17 am

These are all your options if you are looking to browse:

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Shields
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:10 pm

the only use for the crystal ring shield nowadays... 90% block.
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:23 pm

Ah. yes! I completely forgot about the Crystal RIng Shield since it couldn't parry.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:36 pm

The warrior shield is pretty good for reg sorceress but if the dark sorceries destroy the crest shield you're better off dodging the dark ones.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:50 pm

I tried blocking pursuers with my dark hand. I get tons of damage because of the low stability -> high breaking guard ability of the spell.
    BeeSeaEss
    BeeSeaEss
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by BeeSeaEss Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:28 pm

you could go dark hand, weighs almost nothing, can parry and is 80% all around. good vs. magic gankers in my opinion.
    lordgodofhell
    lordgodofhell
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by lordgodofhell Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:06 pm

Any shield that has strong magic shield on it winking
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:41 am

lordgodofhell wrote:Any shield that has strong magic shield on it winking

Strong Magic Shield only works for a couple of seconds, like 20? Not really worth an att slot.
    Icegodzilla
    Icegodzilla
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Icegodzilla Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:54 am

yeah i was disappointed by that spell. if it lasted longer it would be awsome
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:09 am

I recommend dodging rather than blocking magic. The more powerful spells, such as Dark bead, Pursuers, and Crystal Soul Spear, may do significant damage through the shield depending on the setup of the enemy mage. Furthermore, the shield may be knocked away by Dark Magic such as Pursuers and Dark Bead. The Crest shield is a very good option for blocking WoTG though. That has a much more consistent (and lower) damage across builds.
    somnam
    somnam
    Casual
    Casual

Post by somnam Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:46 am

Against an armory of magic, someone who uses nothing else, a stone great shield will absorb 80% of the damage with lasting stability.
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:20 am

somnam wrote:Against an armory of magic, someone who uses nothing else, a stone great shield will absorb 80% of the damage with lasting stability.

As a tank myself, i know how deadly the Stone Greatshield is.
    WandererReece
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by WandererReece Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:37 am

Automancer wrote:
    lordgodofhell wrote:Any shield that has strong magic shield on it winking

Strong Magic Shield only works for a couple of seconds, like 20? Not really worth an att slot.

I wish it lasted that long. What small or standard shield do you use against magic? 3510096238

Also, GMB could be considered a shield, because it shields you from magic. Force is supposed to deflect sorceries, but I haven't tried it yet.
    lordgodofhell
    lordgodofhell
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by lordgodofhell Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:11 pm

Strong Magic shield lasts 25 seconds, and 40 with lingering ring. Long enough to get ahead with any magic dmg or guard breaking bosses.

For pvp it is less useful but turning a buckler into a havels great shield for 40 seconds sure does feel great!
    WandererReece
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by WandererReece Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:16 pm

lordgodofhell wrote:Strong Magic shield lasts 25 seconds.

Really? I thought it was shorter. Does the time increase with magic adjustment?
    lordgodofhell
    lordgodofhell
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by lordgodofhell Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:25 pm

WandererReece wrote:

15 seconds youre correct.
    WandererReece
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by WandererReece Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:29 pm

lordgodofhell wrote:
    WandererReece wrote:

15 seconds youre correct.

That explains why it was crap when I used it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:54 am