Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+16
Espada Muerta
Aznul
reim0027
martyrsbrigade99
Back Lot Basher
zivbu9
sirnizz
Sentiel
The Letter X
Spurgun
Rynn
befowler
Shakie666
Glutebrah
RANT
aceluby
20 posters

Crest shield now the best shield?

aceluby
    aceluby
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Crest shield now the best shield? Empty Crest shield now the best shield?

Post by aceluby Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:07 pm

Got invaded in ToG yesterday and waited for the invader. Happened to be using the crest shield because I had just finished taking out the hydra in ash lake. Anyway, he ends up finding me and proceeds to spam dark bead after dark bead. I simply kept moving while holding up the shield and took minimal damage. After he was out of casts I proceeded to absolutely work him over with my katana.

So, is the crest shield the best shield for PvP given that it has decent stability when maxed out, has 100% physical block, 80% magic block, and for now it seems that the most popular build either focus on dark magic or use it for support?
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Crest shield now the best shield? Empty Re: Crest shield now the best shield?

Post by RANT Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:20 pm

what sl were you? they probably didnt have a high enough int since the dar sorceries destroy the crest shield.
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Glutebrah Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:24 pm

Crest shield has always been one of the best shields in the game. highest magic block for shields that can parry.
    Shakie666
    Shakie666
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Shakie666 Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:32 pm

Actually glute a +10 magic warrior's round shield (the one you buy from the male undead merchant, it doesn't apply to the others for some reason) gives 84.5% magic resistance, more than the crest shield silly

Pedantics aside, i'd be a bit hesitant to call the crest shield the best shield, the elemental resistance isn't that great. If you like to block with big things i'd say the stone greatshield is the best IMO, basically a mini-havels with great all-round resistances that doesn't require 50 str, farming for it can take a while though.
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:11 pm

I actually made one of those magic warrior shields +10 just to see if it was useful -- it was terrible. Stability was actually lower than my greatsword.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:17 pm

befowler wrote:I actually made one of those magic warrior shields +10 just to see if it was useful -- it was terrible. Stability was actually lower than my greatsword.

it's saved my life a couple of times, but it's really bad against dark sorceries just like the crest(which is better) stability sucks which is why you can tank with it, youre supposed to use it for those moments where you know youre screwed and your only option is to block and it saves your ***.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:17 pm

Crest Shield has always been the best shield.
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:19 pm

Rynn wrote:Crest Shield has always been the best shield.

That's debatable. And up to personal preference silly
    I prefer the heater shield myself, fast parry with 100% physical res.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:24 pm

Spurgun wrote:
    Rynn wrote:Crest Shield has always been the best shield.

That's debatable. And up to personal preference silly
    I prefer the heater shield myself, fast parry with 100% physical res.
    and 30% magic res... so if anyone is fighting you with any type of enchanted weapon, they can eat you alive through your shield with the chip damage.
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:30 pm

I rarely fight people with enchanted/occult weapons (that might change with this new patch though). So i haven't had to worry about that. I'm also used to dodging more than blocking.
    I do change to the crest shield when i fight someone who uses DMB/CMW. Just as i change to the BK shield when i fight a pyro.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:43 pm

I suppose.
    I love fighting people like you though, I explicitly use only enchanted weapons just because so many people use shields with 60% or lower magic res, so i can chew 30-70 damage per chip hit with a good enchanted weapon. The heater shield gives me close to 120 chip with 350 magic AR, and it takes a moment to get an opportunity to switch shields.
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:50 pm

I guess you would be doing even more damage against me as well, since i don't use any armor (not sure though, i don't really know how it works).
    I prefer dodging/parrying, but i don't think i would be able to parry people like you. So i would probably try to dodge for most of the fight.
    But changing shield doesn't take that long. I can do it almost under a second, and i will still be moving while i do it. So i don't think you would be able to pressure me enough to hinder me from switching.
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:57 pm

If you're only using a small shield to save yourself from a tight spot, it almost doesn't matter which you use. Heck I've blocked a point blank range Dark Bead by two-handing with the Gold Tracer and survived.

A shield that will be used specifically to block magic on the other hand needs to have both a high magic res. and stability due to the new dark magic's guard breaking abilities. And the Crest Shield, from what I have seen, is the best option to cover both the magic defense and stability.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:07 pm

Spurgun wrote:I guess you would be doing even more damage against me as well, since i don't use any armor (not sure though, i don't really know how it works).
    If your shield has 80% magic resistance, then my AR is sliced down to 20% of it's original value. So that 500 AR Moonlight Greatsword only has 100 AR now, only doing about 30 chip damage.
    So 30% magic resistance is far worse then 80% due to increasing gains on AR.
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:09 pm

So the damage through a shield is the same no matter how much armor you have?
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:12 pm

No. If You reduce my AR to 100, like in my above example, then the remaining 100 AR is then compared to your defense.

With a heater shield vs dragon warriors I often see returns of a bit over 200 with 350 magic AR.
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:16 pm

That's what i thought.

I really hope that people don't start using enchanted weapons now silly
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:21 pm

I'm genuinely surprised people don't do it more often.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:14 am

I've always used Grass Crest for Stamina regen, but ever since Dark Sorceries arrived I'm using Crest Shield instead. I try to evade the spells, but the lag on spells is terrbile since the DLC, or I just happened to notice the lag only now, since there's a ton of Int builds. Seriously, three out of four guys I meet are Int, or Int hybrids now...

Anyway, if I'm not too sure about the evade, Crest Shield can save my life and it already did that MANY times. So far I've been able to block even close up Dark Bead, but it drained most of my max Stamina bar, so I'm very happy with it and it deals with spammers perfectly.

If my opponent brings Pyro instead of Int stuff I take out Dragon Crest Shield and if the guy prefers weapons only, it's Grass Crest again.

That's how I roll at least. Bow
    sirnizz
    sirnizz

Post by sirnizz Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:37 am

Crest shield is a beast to me ! using it till the beginning of the game and well actually i've never changed it.

My SL 120 50int build with Uchigatana +5 enchanted completely destroy people using low magic shield, with TCC i can do up to 1500 damage at close range with dark bead, and CSS roughly the same.

I was rly bas with my previous weapons battleaxe enchanted +5 but with little practice it's viable, in pvp and i surprise the hell out of people with my weapon and build.
    zivbu9
    Casual
    Casual

Post by zivbu9 Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:56 am

Havel's shield. today I was in the forest and a dude spammed pursuers and dark bead at me. With the havel's shield I basicly took no damage at all big grin
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:09 pm

zivbu9 wrote:Havel's shield. today I was in the forest and a dude spammed pursuers and dark bead at me. With the havel's shield I basicly took no damage at all big grin
    I use Dark Orb. I like spamming 36 dark orbs into peoples shields. at 50 per, that's still 1800 damage.
    Back Lot Basher
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Back Lot Basher Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:31 pm

Rynn wrote:I'm genuinely surprised people don't do it more often.

A lot of PvP players have aggressively pushed the idea that +15 physical damage weapons are ALWAYS best because of the min/max logic behind split damage. While the stats do support this, a lot of intangibles also come into play, including the ones brought up here. Against average invaders, enchanted and elemental weps will do fine. If I meet a seasoned pro, it won't matter what kind of damage I'm doing.
    martyrsbrigade99
    martyrsbrigade99
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by martyrsbrigade99 Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:13 pm

It all depends. I mean, I use the buckler and I do just well. I'm of the opinion that it's not necessarily about the equipment that you use, but about your offensive/defensive strategies.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:36 pm

I use the crest shield, almost exclusively, when I invade in Anor Londo, New Londo, and the Forest, where magic dominates.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 11:31 pm