Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
lorenzo110
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
The Letter X
Carphil
Thundergrip
9 posters

Crystal Soul Spear woes!

Thundergrip
    Thundergrip
    Casual
    Casual

Crystal Soul Spear woes! Empty Crystal Soul Spear woes!

Post by Thundergrip Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:36 pm

Every time I come up against someone using crystal soul spear, I'm dead in moments. All they have to do is cast it twice - what am I missing here? Rolling never seems to get me out of the giant hitbox, and none of my shields are going to block enough of the damage. Is the spell just OP?
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Crystal Soul Spear woes! Empty Re: Crystal Soul Spear woes!

Post by Carphil Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:45 pm

Hello there!

There are several ways to counter this spell. Yes, even with high magic resistance, it does a good amount of damage. I'll try to list some counters.

-Rolling. The hitbox its actually not that large. You may require some practice, but its definitaly possible to dodge it with the 3 types of rolls.

-Shield with high magic resistance (and good stability). The most common is the crest shield, but there are others.

-Spell: Magic shield/Great magic shield. You're allowed to block any spell damage.

-Miracle: Great magic barrier. You take very little damage from magic.
    The Letter X
    The Letter X
    Revived
    Revived

Post by The Letter X Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:49 pm

You probably shouldn't try blocking CSS, or most magic, unless your shield has 80% magic reduction or more. Shields like the Crest Shield and Havel's come to mind.

For dodging, try to roll as soon as the caster raises his/her catalyst and then continue rolling until the spell is behind you. It takes a while to get adjusted to the lag on spells.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:32 pm

Use a Magic Warrior's Round Shield +10. silly

Makes the CSS your *****.
    lorenzo110
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by lorenzo110 Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:20 pm

It is very easy to dodge this spell. Unless you are fighting against someone with massive lag. Then you are pretty much at the mercy of the internet connection. You can roll all you want but the lag will pretty much kill you. I died earlier in mid roll when an invader entered and starting spamming crystal soul spear and disappearing from my screen to show up a far distance from me. It was funny because I went from mid roll to flat on my face dead with the screen message appearing You Died. LOL funny as hell. But it is a very easy spell to roll and punish once you get the hang of it.
    Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Seignar Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:38 pm

Crystal Soul Spear giving you trouble? I have the solution:

Step 1) 34 STR.
    Step 2) Great Magic Barrier
    Step 3) Havel's Greatshield
    Step 4) Dingy chest with Big Hat and whatever best magic defense you can fetch

Activate Great Magic Barrier and 2 Hand that Greatshield. You should have reduced all incoming damage by 90% due to Havel's Greashield, then you should reduce all bypassing damage by 90% due to GMB (Which, using math, equals 99% damage negated) then you should take about a little less than 1% of the original damage due to your armor rating screwing it over.

So...negates about 99.9% of damage? Crystal Soul Spear woes! 3596227959
    If this seems too many measures, please consider vow of silence which should guarantee 100% immunity for a limited time.

On the topic of dodging, do NOT dodge when it is going to impact you on your screen, do it before that happens because lag makes your eyes betray you, when you see it about to hit you, chances are it is already hitting you.
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:15 pm

The ones i fight with always seem to be great at dodging my CSS. So instead of spamming the way a mage should, i'll wear them out and i'll quickswitch to my catalyst and fire at them at point blank range out of the blue.
    Thundergrip
    Thundergrip
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Thundergrip Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:21 pm

Thanks guys - I think what I was forgetting to consider was lag. It all makes a lot more sense now.
    OmniBot
    OmniBot
    Regular
    Regular

Post by OmniBot Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:57 pm

I usually time my roll right after I hear or see the spell shoot off. Works like a charm.
    felclef
    felclef
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by felclef Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:53 pm

For me what works great is: unlock, side run, then try to get closer, unlocked. They have about 4~8 for spamming... The crazy one could have what, about 12? I can't imagine someone with 4 slots only for CSS.

Anyway, never try to block this stuff... A Int:45 + Dusk Crown + Bellowing Ring is more than a 2H R2 Dragon Weapon Special, I guess!

You have good reflexes, you can try a heavy bolt before the spell goes and wish they have no poise lol

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 5:25 am