Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

A Better form of Stun Lock

PaladinManFace
    Casual
    Casual

A Better form of Stun Lock Empty A Better form of Stun Lock

Post by PaladinManFace Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:00 pm

I think instead of being stun locked for an infinite amount of hits so long as your opponent has stamina and you haven't switched out of it is kinda dumb. I like it sometimes but overall it's a little much. It really wasn't even worth complaining about though until they slowed the greatswords swing speed down to counter act this. While again, it's not a big deal but it just annoyed me.

Instead of slowing weapons down they should nerf the stun lock. I think it would be cool if after you hit someone once and they stagger if a second hit is administered he should fall down similar to the effect wrath of the gods has. Honestly whos going to be able to be hit by a great axe 5 times while standing in place...they're going to fall or in some cases fly back.
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

A Better form of Stun Lock Empty Re: A Better form of Stun Lock

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:16 pm

Getting thrown back to the ground after taking a big hit would definetly look cool.

I liked how in Dragons Dogma you could stab enemies on the ground and I would love to see that in the next DKS, though it would change combat dynamics considerably. Getting knocked down would be a recipe for disaster, especially by a boss if you can still take damage while down.

In PVP, heavy weapons would have more practicality if their weight and power had the application of knocking people down so that you could get a massive attack in without the enemy being able to block. Of course this would have to be balanced against, but even as it is now I don't think it would become grossly OP'd, but I'm no PVP guru.

I think the threat of being knocked down, and thus being defenless for a good moment, would add a risk that would really make combat more tense when facing powerful enemies. The same type of tension that you get when facing bosses at a low level on high NG's because you have such little room for error.
    Abiathar82
    Abiathar82
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Abiathar82 Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:12 pm

BIG TIME MASTER wrote:In PVP, heavy weapons would have more practicality if their weight and power had the application of knocking people down so that you could get a massive attack in without the enemy being able to block. Of course this would have to be balanced against, but even as it is now I don't think it would become grossly OP'd, but I'm no PVP guru.

^ It should have always been this way in my opinion. Big weapons just keep getting gimped. Giving the speed builds more and more of an advantage. Why are we doing this? There is no real life situation where anyone would fear the guy with the dagger and cloth clothing on more then a guy wearing massive armor and a huge weapon. But for some reason that is the norm in DKS , just WTF.

How does a dagger have better BS damage then bigger weapons? So a 8 inch blade with a 2 inch width is going to cause more damage to the human body then a 5 foot blade with a 6 inch width going through both sides of you. I am fairly certain that any doctor would just laugh at this idea , because it is completely ludacris.

The advantage of small weapons should be and always should have been the speed advantage. You move faster , you roll faster , you dodge faster. That is an advantage that makes since , No?
    AzureCrow
    AzureCrow
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by AzureCrow Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:21 pm

Knock back would be a great alternative however I don't think it would be possible to balance taking damage in a downed state. Bs's and parries would mean instant death and in PvE there would just be to many enemies who could KO you with one connected attack and an unavoidable combo.

I'm with you 100% on the damage of dex vs strength weapons, realistically dex should get an even higher critical boost with a lower AR. It should take 10+ slashes to kill someone, with stabs dealing more damage and a critical doing damage comparable to a heavy weapon, not an ultra.

In return heavy weapons would get nerfed crits with a lower modifier the heavier the class i.e. great swords 70, ultra's 60, great hammers 40, etc. That's to the added damage only, because let's face it your basically passing a slab of metal through your opponent it shouldn't really matter how you do it at the end of the day, I'm lookin at you DGM.
    Abiathar82
    Abiathar82
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Abiathar82 Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:46 pm

I really was only thinking of applying the knockdown in PVP. Obviously several enemies would be very hard if they knocked you down.

Also not sure about giving DEX weapons a boost to crits. It is already absurd that their critical damage is higher than that of large weapons. Also further nerfing large weapons is just not neccesary.

In what world are daggers the chosen weapon of warriors. Maybe I am completely off on the history of warfare , but I am pretty certain most ancient warfare was won with , bows , arrows , swords , axes , spears and shields. Do not remember any army that was successful using daggers. Romans , Britains all used the above. A dagger is a side arm , last ditch effort , when you have lost your main.

Anyway , rant over ..... winking
    AzureCrow
    AzureCrow
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by AzureCrow Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:59 pm

That's why they need a nerf on AR, I'd cut their damage in half that way even a 200% crit would only be about 400 dmg. Also I'm all for the knockdowns just let me keep my peaceful power nap afterwards. lol!
    Abiathar82
    Abiathar82
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Abiathar82 Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:11 pm

AzureCrow wrote:That's why they need a nerf on AR, I'd cut their damage in half that way even a 200% crit would only be about 400 dmg. Also I'm all for the knockdowns just let me keep my peaceful power nap afterwards. lol!

Ok I can aggree with that. Also , yeah being damage after a knock down would make it OP.
    steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:41 pm

Knock downs is on the right path to have balance with stun locking weapons but I think there's a better way than this.

What should happen is that the knock back should be greater than the distance each weapon swing is. So in theory if I used a claymore right next to an opponent, I could say get three stunlock hits in before my opponent becomes out of range and can then block or dodge the next attack. If I swing and hit my opponent with the tip of my claymore, I can only get that one hit in because that hit would have put my opponent immediately out of range because knock back distance is bigger than the advancement of each swing.

This would be the ultimate balance because anyone who took the risk of fighting a great sword player right butt up next to them would ultimately face heavy damage from a 3 hit stun lock, but it will punish the great sword users who think spamming the attack button will guarantee stun lock when at range.
    AzureCrow
    AzureCrow
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by AzureCrow Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:23 pm

Mix in damage range (close range hit does less, middle of the sword does more, edge does less) and this would be perfect. I'd still want Great hammers/axes do knockdown, maybe if a 2nd hit connects the opponent is knocked to the ground to the standard ground recovery animation, prevents stun lock abuse but also prevents the opponent from falling out of stagger and countering mid blow.
    Abiathar82
    Abiathar82
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Abiathar82 Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:43 pm

In all fairness , Great Hammers , GAs and Ultras should all pretty much be an instant stun (maybe not Zwei and Greatsword). They just weigh so much , that amount of weight hitting you is going to stun you , especially the Great Hammers.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 11:48 pm