Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+37
BrotherBob
Thundergrip
DoughGuy
Ghadis_God
FruitPunchNinja
aceluby
Hatsune Miku
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Sloth9230
GkMrBane
ChizFreak
CrackedMarbles
Phoenix Rising
Back Lot Basher
Tomhet
Lulzee
reim0027
CaligoIllioneus
Glutebrah
Xskulled
Nybbles
Rudmed
XachAttack
Odinbear
billy_bayonet
OrnsteinFanBoy
Rynn
Juutas
The_Hallion
Gazman0169
hey its andres
sunbro
Sentiel
BIG TIME MASTER
steveswede
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
raecor14
41 posters

Dark magic wrecking the game

raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

magic hate - Dark magic wrecking the game Empty Dark magic wrecking the game

Post by raecor14 Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:47 am

dark magic is so horribly OP, but i could cope with that because it had WAYS of being avoided, but wit the lag its like a massive punch to the balls. if it doesn't get a Nerf or they don't weaken it ill just quit, its barely worth playing anymore.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

magic hate - Dark magic wrecking the game Empty Re: Dark magic wrecking the game

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:21 am

the only one i have issues with is dark bead, the rest i have little trouble avoiding, plus i keep great magic barrier on all my heavy non-dodging characters (or did brfore my ps3 got fried) which nullifys a good chunk of the damage.
    steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

magic hate - Dark magic wrecking the game Empty Re: Dark magic wrecking the game

Post by steveswede Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:31 am

Dark beed is not over powered, it's just a spell that hits heavy close up which finally makes close up spell casting PvP viable. I hope someone in the future will do a video on how to deal with dark beed and pursers, just so it can put these OP posts about them to rest.
    raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by raecor14 Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:33 am

its not the OP that pisses me off, its the OP comboned with the lag, they actually have a horrible cast time but with the lag it may as well be instant.
    steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:50 am

I can understand the want for the casting time to be slowed down, lag is a $hit that we all hate. And while it's something I think would make online battles more bearable, my only concern is that From will take it to the point where they make it so slow it just becomes another spell in the junk pile. There are already too many spells with slow casting times that makes them useless and I would hate for these spells to join them.
    raecor14
    raecor14
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by raecor14 Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:54 am

the cast time would be perfect witout the lag, but i may go stab a guy with 0 poise while they are casting but because of lag im actually dead and it's just un fair
    BIG TIME MASTER
    BIG TIME MASTER
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by BIG TIME MASTER Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:16 am

I'm against any of the homing magics in general. I think they are just dumb. They take no skill to use, and although they are avoidable they aren't any fun to fight whether you win or lose.

Magic is the reason I never got into PVP.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:25 am

@raecor14
    Nice knowing you, see you in the next Souls game. Wave
    sunbro
    sunbro
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by sunbro Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:50 am

just get you're crest shield or the stone great shieldout , once you start blocking and they run out of casts they start panicing
    hey its andres
    hey its andres
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by hey its andres Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:55 am

I feel that sorcerers can use an up close shotgun like spell. Faith builds have WoTG so what are sorcerers supposed to use against gankers? I know it can be hard to deal with, but that is why you should have your pendant ready when PvPing (at least I always try too and it's saved me a few times). I have also never encountered a lag that resulted in an insta-cast and I PvP quite often.
    Gazman0169
    Gazman0169
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Gazman0169 Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:07 am

@raecor14- Without wishing to sound too blunt, but you should just suck it up, and get on with playing the damn game. DM is no more overpowered than any other aspect of the game, and I suspect that the real reason why you are having such a hard time dealing with it is that being new you've yet to work out a way to overcome it. Don't be so eagre to give up, because if you allow something as comparatively minor as this bring an end to you DkS gaming I would suggest that you are not of the right frame of mind to be playing a Souls game to begin with. The last thing this game needs is yet another nerf/buff to help appease the less determined amongst us, when given enough time I can guarantee that the vast majority of us will be able to find ways to effectively counter these new Spells, to the point where we will all look back on this time and say "What was all the fuss about?" Case in point, I, like many of my DkS buds, can now effectively fight gamers wearing the RoF without so much as a lock-on in sight, I always knew I would eventually be able to do this, which is why I have always questioned the logic of having the ability to lock-on patched into the game to begin with as doing so in my mind has pretty much destroyed this aspect of the game. I fear the same thing will happen if DM is nerfed, and so I am totally 101% against it.
    The_Hallion
    The_Hallion
    Casual
    Casual

Post by The_Hallion Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:40 am

I'm assuming dark magic in in the DLC (hopefully getting it this weekend), looking forward to trying something new
    Juutas
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Juutas Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:50 am

As the OP said, it's the lag that is the issue here. Somehow the dark magic is unbelievably laggy and I get killed in weird ways way too often.
    Fighting mages is boring anyway, all have the same tactics and their winning is more based on the luck of lagging out a hit that one-shots me than any sort of "skill". I think 6/10 people I fight now a days spam dark magic, boring to the core.

( if you happen to be a mage and this insults you in anyway, it's not meant in that way. This opinion is based on my experiences, please just prove me wrong sometime. )
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:53 am

Juutas wrote:As the OP said, it's the lag that is the issue here. Somehow the dark magic is unbelievably laggy and I get killed in weird ways way too often.
    Fighting mages is boring anyway, all have the same tactics and their winning is more based on the luck of lagging out a hit that one-shots me than any sort of "skill". I think 6/10 people I fight now a days spam dark magic, boring to the core.

( if you happen to be a mage and this insults you in anyway, it's not meant in that way. This opinion is based on my experiences, please just prove me wrong sometime. )
    I've got an Int caster and I agree with you. Most people just spam DB and Pursuers. Some are even so dense thanks to this, they just come at you, start casting Pursuers and have a look similar to this :affraid: , when they see a CSS homing in their faces. It's like people forget there's anything else besides Dark Magic, WoG and buffs these days.

But I don't worry about it. It's like WoG used to be. In a few days/weeks people will roll through that with ease, just like WoG.
    Juutas
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Juutas Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:06 am

Sentiel wrote:
    Juutas wrote:As the OP said, it's the lag that is the issue here. Somehow the dark magic is unbelievably laggy and I get killed in weird ways way too often.

I've got an Int caster and I agree with you. Most people just spam DB and Pursuers. Some are even so dense thanks to this, they just come at you, start casting Pursuers and have a look similar to this :affraid: , when they see a CSS homing in their faces. It's like people forget there's anything else besides Dark Magic, WoG and buffs these days.

But I don't worry about it. It's like WoG used to be. In a few days/weeks people will roll through that with ease, just like WoG.

Yeah, I'm having pretty good success of rolling through pursuers, but the lag still somehow gets me at times and when it does it just kills me instantly and I'm like "oh...okay".
    Dark bead is dark bead...it's not that much of a problem, I consider great combustion still the cheapest spell in the game, but maybe that's just me, but yeah, to the point: CASTERS BE ORIGINAL PLEASE and please please use your weapons too every once in a while.
    Originality and variety is always nice to see more no matter what your "class" is.
    I'm not a magic guy myself, but I bet there can be more to it than running away and casting (x1000).
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:13 am

Juutas wrote:Fighting mages is boring anyway, all have the same tactics and their winning is more based on the luck of lagging out a hit that one-shots me than any sort of "skill". I think 6/10 people I fight now a days spam dark magic, boring to the core.

It doesn't insult me, but it's impossible to prove you wrong because if i cast dark magic at all people state I'm spamming... even if I only used it once, or was using Dark Orb, which people don't know how to dodge.
    Juutas
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Juutas Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:18 am

Rynn wrote:
    Juutas wrote:Fighting mages is boring anyway, all have the same tactics and their winning is more based on the luck of lagging out a hit that one-shots me than any sort of "skill". I think 6/10 people I fight now a days spam dark magic, boring to the core.

It doesn't insult me, but it's impossible to prove you wrong because if i cast dark magic at all people state I'm spamming... even if I only used it once, or was using Dark Orb, which people don't know how to dodge.

I would never call you a spammer if you cast few times in duel, that would just be silly.
    I like fighting anyone with some variety in their attacks.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:26 am

@Juutas

Man! Don't give them any ideas, or they will actually start to be a pain to deal with instead of being just boring.
    OrnsteinFanBoy
    OrnsteinFanBoy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by OrnsteinFanBoy Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:27 am

Another post whining about dark bead? Seriously it only seems OP because we're used to everything else in the the game and dark magic is new. Just like WoG spamming, once people work out a good way to beat dark magic and get familiar it won't be a problem anymore.

Casters actually have a way to beat people that stack poise now instead of just getting spam locked to death and all the havel+greatsword cookie cutters are crying

Dark magic isn't OP, so stop whining and L2P (classic COD chat).

Or just do like you said and stop playing, I'm sure you'll be sorely missed Point Up
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:31 am

Juutas wrote:I would never call you a spammer if you cast few times in duel, that would just be silly.
    I like fighting anyone with some variety in their attacks.
    >Trying to backstab me
    >Casts Dark Orb, dead angles for 1.1K
    >Rolls
    >Trying to backstab me
    >Casts Dark Orb, blocked for 300 damage
    >Rolls
    >Trying to backstab me
    >Casts Dark Bead because I'm getting tired of this ********

That's 85% of my duels.
    steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:42 am

Reason why spell casters are boring to fight is that there's not enough variety in terms of effective spells in PvP. Out of the 16 offensive spells, there are 5 that are mainly used and even if the soul arrow spells and dark orb get a mod to make them viable in PvP, it still makes the spell selection rubbish due to abundant spell cloning From have done. I hope From push the envelope in the next Souls game by at least making 20 viable offensive PvP spells that are very different from each other. Same for miracles and pyromancy if From is going to continue with this system.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:43 am

steveswede wrote:even if the soul arrow spells and dark orb get a mod to make them viable in PvP
    they are very viable.
    steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by steveswede Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:23 am

Rynn wrote:
    steveswede wrote:even if the soul arrow spells and dark orb get a mod to make them viable in PvP
    they are very viable.

Compared to crystal soul spear, homing crystal soulmass, pursers and dark beed, not a chance.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:33 am

Spells are very viable in PvP, it just depends on the approach and imagination of their user.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:36 am

steveswede wrote:
    Rynn wrote:
    they are very viable.

Compared to crystal soul spear, homing crystal soulmass, pursers and dark beed, not a chance.
    They are insanely viable. You'd be surprised how many people back off to dodge dark bead, then let you hit them with Great Soul Arrow, forgetting how well it homes.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 7:34 am