Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
Nybbles
Serious_Much
Argetlam350
Djem
ErrJon6661
9 posters

Prequel or Sequel?

ErrJon6661
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Prequel or Sequel? Empty Prequel or Sequel?

Post by ErrJon6661 Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:03 pm

No dedicated thread to this yet so I'm making one to discuss Dark Souls and Dark Souls II's place in the story line, feel free to include Demon's souls in your theory.

My theory? I believe DkS and DkSII are prequels to Demons Souls. The artwork in number II from the trailers at least seems more like the artwork from Demon's Souls to me. It also seems to take place in a (literal) dark age, meaning the fires have now gone out due to either player action or other forces. I don't believe the presence of dragons squashes this theory because there were still dragons and drakes in dark souls. So I'm sure some may have survived and lived on past the age of Fire. Perhaps Dark Souls II will bridge the gap between dark and demon's souls, or at least bring them closer. I don't expect the protagonist to find boletaria, but maybe the ancient one will make an appearance?

What do you guys think?
    Djem
    Djem
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Prequel or Sequel? Empty Re: Prequel or Sequel?

Post by Djem Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:24 pm

https://soulswiki.forumotion.com/t15456-back-to-the-future

Sorry, I shouldn't have named it in such a weird way.
    Argetlam350
    Argetlam350
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Argetlam350 Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:06 pm

Dark Souls we know have no connection to Demon's Souls. Fromsoft has said that, reason being is that Sony owns Demon's Souls name thus really to even make a multiplatform game they had to make an entirely new universe that has no ties to Demon's. Yes it's fun to speculate things such as how Patches is in both games and how Lordran is a realm of giants and could be that if it's the realm of giants then it's the sixth archstone but to be honest, Patches is just a coencidance and the whole sixth archstone and land of giant connection is fan based rather then any official lore tieing the two.
    Plus a big thing that strikes down any theory of Demon's and Dark Souls being connected is the form of worship. In Demon's Souls there is only a single 'God' that everyone worships. In Dark Souls everyone worships the lords as their God's.

Thus no relation or connection, besides spiritualy.
    ErrJon6661
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ErrJon6661 Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:35 am

@Djem thanks for pointing that out haha.

@Argetlam350 a counter argument to your gods theory is simple, many different ideologies may exist within a world. Many religions exist within our planet but nothing seperates a country from one of a different dominant religion besides a boarder. I understand from may have officially declared there being no connection but look at the artwork. This is all speculation of course and I do respect your ideas.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:39 am

While it does seem that a sequel is on the cards, I think a prequel would be far more interesting, and could expand upon the lore that lordran has already been given.

Either will be fine long as they make sure the world is well created and flushed out
    Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:15 pm

i'm going to guess that this is going to be a prequel and that it will include many of the characters that have already been hinted at but have not made an appearance. Velka, Ariamis, that fire god i forget the name of and other heros who's names appear in various item descriptions.

the women in the DSII trailer, the one who is shown with the protagonist, some how reminds me of the women we see in the DS intro, the one who is mourning over an undead with the dark sign.

also, the dudes with the white masks might be part of the way of white, hunters of the carriers of the dark sign. perhaps, we are first to carry the dark sign?

there was something in the vga trailer that reminded me of the Old One from Demon's, it's at 1.03-1.05, right after the protagonist crosses the bridge that looks like the one at the start of the Painted World. probably nothing, but i thought it was interesting.

game play wise, the trailer seems to hint that exploration might be more important this time around. perhaps we will see a less linear game? i am also going to guess that having a torch is likely going to be an important part of your equippable gear.
    GkMrBane
    GkMrBane
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by GkMrBane Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:56 pm

Nybbles wrote:i'm going to guess that this is going to be a prequel and that it will include many of the characters that have already been hinted at but have not made an appearance. Velka, Ariamis, that fire god i forget the name of and other heros who's names appear in various item descriptions.

the women in the DSII trailer, the one who is shown with the protagonist, some how reminds me of the women we see in the DS intro, the one who is mourning over an undead with the dark sign.

also, the dudes with the white masks might be part of the way of white, hunters of the carriers of the dark sign. perhaps, we are first to carry the dark sign?

there was something in the vga trailer that reminded me of the Old One from Demon's, it's at 1.03-1.05, right after the protagonist crosses the bridge that looks like the one at the start of the Painted World. probably nothing, but i thought it was interesting.

game play wise, the trailer seems to hint that exploration might be more important this time around. perhaps we will see a less linear game? i am also going to guess that having a torch is likely going to be an important part of your equippable gear.

I wonder if we can cosplay undead torch hollows now and stunlock all pvp enemis to death.

Those bastards
    mugenis4real
    mugenis4real
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by mugenis4real Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:43 am

Don't you guys hope it's a sequel? I know I do. I want to see the effects my character had upon the world. Then again who's to say that this game won't be it's own seperate thing? I guess we will all just have to wait. lol
    ErrJon6661
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ErrJon6661 Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:01 am

I'm with mugenis, I want a sequel hahahaha. I'm sure getting to know velka and the gods on a more personal basis would be wonderful. But I'd love to see an entirely new world fleshed out in front of us, one that is the result of the age of dark.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:34 am

Who says it was our characters who brought he dark? Maybe our chosen undead were meant to be dumb and link the fire silly
    DE5PA1R
    DE5PA1R
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by DE5PA1R Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:18 pm

OP: Neither. I speculate that the Dark Souls series will be similar to Final Fantasy or the Elder Scrolls. The games will use similar rules and common elements (Undead, bonfires, gods, dragons, etc) but are set in worlds that are completely unrelated or are so far apart geographically/time-wise that they're virtually unrelated.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:30 pm

DE5PA1R wrote:OP: Neither. I speculate that the Dark Souls series will be similar to Final Fantasy or the Elder Scrolls. The games will use similar rules and common elements (Undead, bonfires, gods, dragons, etc) but are set in worlds that are completely unrelated or are so far apart geographically/time-wise that they're virtually unrelated.

I think the fact they're using Roman numerals is hinting that they intend on legacy and longevity
    DE5PA1R
    DE5PA1R
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by DE5PA1R Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:38 pm

Serious_Much wrote:

I think the fact they're using Roman numerals is hinting that they intend on legacy and longevity

This is a true statement, though I'm not sure if we're agreeing. Both of my examples use a similar numbering pattern.

If they do intend to go to 5/V or beyond, it's going to get more and more difficult to continue producing sequels and/or prequels along the same timeline. And they run the risk of retconing pieces of the previous stories, or alienating those who chose one ending over the other.
    Djem
    Djem
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Djem Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:47 pm

Maybe they'll make Dark Souls II, and the next game will be called Damned Souls or something. We just can't know yet.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:49 pm

looks like a prequel to me.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:29 am