Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+12
GrinTwist
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
ViralEnsign_
ChizFreak
cloudyeki
Rin
Spurgun
Uparkaam
Serious_Much
Rudmed
Tolvo
WyrmHero
16 posters

Wyrm's Best Games of 2012

WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Wyrm's Best Games of 2012 Empty Wyrm's Best Games of 2012

Post by WyrmHero Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:18 am

So I want to do this just for fun. 2012 was a bit lame year for gaming. We mostly saw sequels and just a few new franchises. I spent more than half 2012 playing DkS only, so I wasn't able to play most of these games lol. Either way I wanna do it so it can help me decide which games I'll buy in the next months. This list will be updated since I'll take you guys suggestions. I'll divide them by console and genre.

Best RPG: Dragon's Dogma

Best Shooter: Borderlands 2

Best Action-Adventure: Assassin's Creed 3

Best Action: Darksiders 2

Best JRPG: Atelier Meruru

Best Fighting: Naruto UNS Generations

Best Racing: NFS Most Wanted

Best Strategy: XCOM

Best Sports: FIFA 13

Best Puzzle: Journey

Best SiFi: Mass Effect 3

Best Mecha: Armored Core 5

Best Zombies: Walking Dead Episodes

Best Multiplayer: Black Ops 2

Best DLC: Dark Souls Artorias of the Abyss

Best Indie: Journey

Best MMO: Dust 514

Best Remake: Okami HD

Best Collection: Mass Effect Trilogy for PS3

Best Adapted: Walking Dead Episodes

Best Graphics: MOH Warfighter

Best PS3: All Stars Battle Royale

Best XBOX: Halo 4

Best Wii: Last Story

Best PC: Diablo 3

Best Vita: Uncharted Golden Abyss

Best 3DS: Super Mario Land 3D

Game of the Year: ????????

Last edited by WyrmHero on Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Wyrm's Best Games of 2012 Empty Re: Wyrm's Best Games of 2012

Post by Tolvo Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:30 am

It's weird to think I haven't bought a single game this year aside from Demon's Souls.

Demon's Souls 2012!
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:33 am

LOL I was the same. I bought Kingdoms of Amalur in February then didn't buy anything serious until now that I bought Mass Effect Trilogy.
    Rudmed
    Rudmed
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Rudmed Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:18 pm

I see Last Story.

What did you like about Last Story? For myself its the characters and the plot (atleast as far as I have gotten. Please avoid spoilers).
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:45 pm

Only games iv bought this year are demons souls, FIFA and okami hd..

Guess I'd say okami hd is the best game for me of 2012, sorry demons fans
    Uparkaam
    Uparkaam
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Uparkaam Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:23 pm

Only new game from 2012 that I played was Dust 514 beta. I played it for about two hours.
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:42 pm

I wish i had enough money and time to try so many games sad
    Only new games i've bought this year are DkS, BF3, NS2 and Dishonored.
    Rin
    Rin
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Rin Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:49 pm

best online bo2 ? i heard the online part of it was really lacking and pretty much the same as bo1....

best dlc aota??!! :shock: that dlc was such a disappointment to me and such a game breaker... its like patch came out and it was perfect and now every 2ns player spamms dark magic at me :x
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:11 pm

Rin wrote:best online bo2 ? i heard the online part of it was really lacking and pretty much the same as bo1....

best dlc aota??!! :shock: that dlc was such a disappointment to me and such a game breaker... its like patch came out and it was perfect and now every 2ns player spamms dark magic at me :x

I really didn't know which multiplayer was the best this year, so I gave it to BO2 because Assassins and Mass Effect onlines aren't as good as COD, even if it's the same crap every year. I was considering MOH Warfighter but the game got so many low reviews. I think I might add it to the best graphics since it's using Frostbite 2 and the're astonishing. Either way BO2 has the complete package with zombies and the online is intense I admit. But yes I hate that the same crap every year and the horrible graphics.

Artorias of the Abyss was the only DLC I bought. It was very influential to us DkS fans and in my opinion it fixed the whole game. Dark magic is just better than flipping giants, at least it looks beautiful. I'm not giving best DLC to Skyrim just because they're doing a very crappy job for the PS3.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:15 pm

Added Best Graphics: Medal of Honor Warfighter
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:18 pm

Rudmed wrote:I see Last Story.

What did you like about Last Story? For myself its the characters and the plot (atleast as far as I have gotten. Please avoid spoilers).

I don't know much about the game except it has Final Fantasy team and awesome graphics. It would be reason enough to buy a Wii.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:54 pm

Adding 4 more categories:

Best Action: This in my opinion is more God of War and Metal Gear Solid - like games. Darksiders 2

Best Remake: Okami HD

Best Collection: Mass Effect Trilogy for PS3

Best Adapted: Games from movies, series. Walking Dead Episodes
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:07 pm

Eh... Mecha this year was kinda blah. I preferred For Answer over V, and hd rerelease of Zone of the Enders trumps both of those.

Also, best independent should go to Journey. Just saying
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:11 pm

cloudyeki wrote:Eh... Mecha this year was kinda blah. I preferred For Answer over V, and hd rerelease of Zone of the Enders trumps both of those.

Also, best independent should go to Journey. Just saying

I was thinking about ZoE but since it's a remake.... I also though about Transformers Fall of Cybertron lol. And yes Journey it's there as best indie.
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:13 pm

As for game of the year. I vote for Borderlands 2. And Mr.Torgue's Campaign of Carnage dlc should be best in-game dialog.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:15 pm

Best PC game: Diablo 3?

I'm a fan of the Diablo Series, but was disappointed by Diablo 3, it was awesome, but it doesn't have the re-playability of Diablo 2. The rune system is not as good as the original tree-skill system. There are not many super-unique hard to acquire items, that makes you feel good when you get them. Like it was Stone of Jordan (it was common then, but at first it was awesome), Shako (can't remember the name) and other unique equipment that was not class-based.

Builds can't be as varied as in Diablo 2, I will always remember that build of a Werewolf Druid that equipped unique equipment to have teleport and a weapon to be able to cast the whirlwind of the Barbarian.

Also it was way darker than Diablo 3, in atmosphere.

What about:

Torchlight 2?

Chivalry Medieval Warfare?

Natural Selection 2?

Far Cry 3?

Almost all games you named where the mainstream, the popular games. There are MANY sleepers this year. Check them out.

I think most people here don't tend to play much on the PC (or can't), so they forget about many games on it.

Many digital-only-PC-exclusive games were launched this year that were awesome.

I'm pretty sure anyone that likes Dark Souls would like Chivalry: Medieval Warfare.

Last edited by ChizFreak on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:16 pm

As for game of the year I really don't know what game was influential enough. I'm thinking XCOM, Assassins Creed 3 and Journey. I need you guys suggestions!!!!!
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:18 pm

ChizFreak wrote:Diablo 3 2012?

Torchlight 2?

Natural Selection 2?

Far Cry 3?

Almost all games you named where the mainstream, the popular games. There are MANY sleepers this year. Check them out.

I think most people here don't tend to play much on the PC (or can't), so they forget about many games on it.

I'm pretty sure anyone that likes Dark Souls would like Chivalry: Medieval Warfare.

I was waiting for you!!!! I mostly concentrated on console games. The only game I know it's awesome in the PC is Diablo 3. But I have no idea what the other exclusives are like.
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:25 pm

Best RPG..... I wouldnt have said Dragons Dogma but then again you can really put Mass Effect 3 as Sci Fi and RPG
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:33 pm

ViralEnsign_ wrote:Best RPG..... I wouldnt have said Dragons Dogma but then again you can really put Mass Effect 3 as Sci Fi and RPG

I didn't put Mass Effect first because it always gets best RPG every year and because it looks more like a shooter to me. Either way I think Dragon's Dogma deserves the place since it's a new IP and climbing to a griffin is too awesome.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:42 pm

WyrmHero wrote:
    ChizFreak wrote:Diablo 3 2012?

Torchlight 2?

Natural Selection 2?

Far Cry 3?

I was waiting for you!!!! I mostly concentrated on console games. The only game I know it's awesome in the PC is Diablo 3. But I have no idea what the other exclusives are like.

Yeah that's what I mean, I don't want to insult you in any way, but people that play mainly on PC, and have very potent PCs, tend to research more about many digital games, with Steam and all, the digital business is growing, and many digital exclusive games were released this year only for PC, because they are developed by Independent studios who only have the money to release them there. Most of the time these Indie studios innovate more than the mainstream full-of-money studios (Activision with Infinity Ward and Treyarch), they do it for passion not for money, they don't care to give a leap of faith to innovate.

Look at Natural Selection 2, it's FPS-Real Time Strategy game. Two teams fight. Marines and the Aliens Khraa. The Marines follow the basics mechanics of shooters, WASD movement, mouse blah blah, BUT one of the Marines play as the commander (by choice), the Commander instead of a FP perpesctive, he sees all the map in a cenital view, like in RTS, he must "put" buildings (because they are builded by marines, but the commander "spawns" them), and issues orders to the marines, like go here, build this, take this point, repair this building. All of this in exchange of resources, which are gathered by building Resource Towers.

Resource Towers can only be built upon certain points of the map (geysers), and must be defended, because the opposing team can destroy it. There are lots of upgrades, damage, armor, new weapons, the commander must research them. There are also ultimate technologies like the Jetpack and the Heavy Armor (a Mech with 2 miniguns). Their objective is to destroy the Alien Hive. To acquire more advanced technologies, the marines must "expand" in other words, build more Commander Centers (though only 1 command can be present, the additionals CC will be locked). They are like bases. A good commander will also build turrets and defenses, and teleporting gates among the map.

Marines. once the technology they want is researched, like Shotguns, can buy them at will at the cost of their singular resources. There are team resources, used by the commander, and individual resources used by Marines. The Commander can also use team resources to spawn shotguns and alike but it's not recommended.

As you can see this is all very complex, and completely fun.

The Alien also have their commander, which also has to "expand" (build more hives) to acquire advanced technologies. The Alien Comm must expand the infestation, which works EXACTLY as the creep works for the Zerg of Starcraft. You can only build things on creep (including Resource Towers). The Alien Comm researches 3 trees of upgrades for his Aliens. Senses, Movement, and Craig (or something like that.

This feature, is what makes the aliens' gameplay different (besides the obvious tactics and moves differences), Aliens can evolve at will, at the cost of resources. Everyone starts as Skulks, some-what alien dogs. They can evolve to either Gorge (which heals and builds defensive structures), Lerk (flying bat which shoots spikes and throws lethal gas among other things), Fade (Soldier-class alien, can kind-of-teleport, has high health and armor, and attacks with big spikes coming out of his arms, he is of the size of a human), and Onos (ultimate evolution, highest health and armor, a tank, it's like a giant bull, attacks with his head, and can stomp the ground to stun marines temporarily).

The Alien comm researches for alternative attacks for the aliens (for all the evolutions, but one at a time, like Alternative attack for: Skulk. then Alt Attack for: Gorge, but in any order).

Also the aliens can choose between secondary evolutions that are unlocked once the Alien Comm researches one of the tree skills (Sense, Movement, Craig). Aliens can choose 1 ability of each of the 3 trees. Sense has: Cloak (invisibility) and Silence (duh). Movement has: Celerity (faster movement), and Adrenaline (faster energy regenration, energy is used for attacks, it's like stamina from DkS), Craig has: Regeneration (obvious) and Caparace (extra armor). These secondary skills are free for the Alien, but the Alien Comm must research them at a resource cost, and only 1 tree can be chosen per Hive, so if you want the 3 trees you need to expand. Also you need 2 hives minimum to research alternative attacks.

The objective of the Aliens is to destroy all the Command Centers of the Marines.

Command Centers and Hives can only be built upon selected points of the map. So you can't build them anywhere.

Finally, Skulks can climb anywhere, like spiders, so look at the ceiling before venturing into that room!

Ups sorry ultra long post. Don't sue me.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:43 pm

WyrmHero wrote:
    ViralEnsign_ wrote:Best RPG..... I wouldnt have said Dragons Dogma but then again you can really put Mass Effect 3 as Sci Fi and RPG

I didn't put Mass Effect first because it always gets best RPG every year and because it looks more like a shooter to me. Either way I think Dragon's Dogma deserves the place since it's a new IP and climbing to a griffin is too awesome.

Yep, it's because Mass Effect it's an Action-RPG. Like Borderlands. Same as Diablo 3. Yes, Action-RPG groups many different games, mainly because some games are more RPG than Action. All RPGs have action, but what defines them as RPG, and not as Action-RPGs, is that RPGs have a very deep system, skyrim has all those skill trees, has dialogues, has decisions, the possibility to choice is important. Mass Effect is there, and has important dialogues, but it's not very good when it comes to character customization as in other RPGs.

To be honest I believe that Torchlight 2 more RPG than Diablo 3. It has more character choices in terms of gameplay. Though neither game has dialogue choices. It Dark Souls had more dialogues with multiple choices besides accepting or not the offer by an NPC and the ability to make those dialogues affect the game itself and the lore, both directly and indirectly, then we would be talking about a much more RPG-rich game.

Best RPG 2012 IMO: Torchlight 2 or Dragon's Dogma.

Last edited by ChizFreak on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:49 pm

I also nominate NS2 for being one of the best PC games this year. It's definitely the best PC game i've played in a long time.
    I just wish that i had friends to play it with, i bet it would a lot more fun then.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:51 pm

Spurgun wrote:I also nominate NS2 for being one of the best PC games this year. It's definitely the best PC game i've played in a long time.
    I just wish that i had friends to play it with, i bet it would a lot more fun then.

If you're on the digital steam market, you should try Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. It's awesome.
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:53 pm

I've thought about buying it. I probably will soon. But right now NS2 is taking up all of my time on the PC.
    And chivalry is probably also a game that you need friends to get the best experience from.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:17 pm