Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+14
eminusx
Seignar
BartholomewWenceslas
Tolvo
carlucio
MasterofShadows
DE5PA1R
RANT
Serious_Much
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
ak1287
Onion Knight
Argetlam350
Madara
18 posters

IGN's Worries about Dark Souls

eminusx
    eminusx
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

IGN's Worries about Dark Souls - Page 2 Empty Re: IGN's Worries about Dark Souls

Post by eminusx Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:06 pm

MasterofShadows wrote:
    eminusx wrote:stuff

Excellent points, eminusx. And thanks for the youtube example. That is exactly something that I'd like to hear more of, because its more minimalistic, and minimalism is the primary narrative tone for the Soul's games.

However, I hope that they don't start to add music to the actual normal gameplay (outside of the boss battles), because it could seriously distract from the environmental sounds, which are extremely important in a game like this. In Demon's Souls and Dark Souls paying attention for the sound of footsteps or groans could be the difference between you surviving or lying in a pool of your own blood.

Yeah I totally agree, the atmospheric effects make a huge difference, when you can hear the mist slowly whispering through the trees, distant echoes or the far off clinking of iron, the ringing of the bell etc. It plays a huge part in setting the tone, and the choral heavy boss battles have more gravitas because of it. Its been so well thought out and implemented it would be so out of touch to turn everything up to 11 and force it. I think thats a key point with DS, nothing feels forced or desperately needy.

also, if you like that, Stravinsky is pretty dark too, rites of spring etc. Bartok was used heavily in The Shining too, a good example of atmosphere and depraved isolation in itself.
    Strigoi
    Strigoi

IGN's Worries about Dark Souls - Page 2 Empty Re: IGN's Worries about Dark Souls

Post by Strigoi Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:11 pm

I feel that people are freaking out. And I understand it. I love Dark Souls, put it's to early to say anything about it. I hate trailer analysis. Yes, the music is different, but that doesn't mean anything. And it looks like Skyrim? Why? It doesn't look like Skyrim. I doubt they would ever try to cash in on skyrims success. And accessibility and approachability can mean anything.
    Marionx
    Marionx
    Addicted
    Addicted

Location : Locked away in the Undead Asylum or wandering Lordran.

Post by Marionx Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:18 pm

I agree. It is way too early, imo, to really start worrying about the game. I'd rather see some more stuff from the game (i.e.: concept art, gameplay videos, etc...), so I can see if I like the direction in which the game is going.

The trailer looks good, so far.
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:27 pm

And it's not like guitar riffs are really out of place, either; look at Castlevania with it's guitar solos and dark medeival fantasy. And most of the good AMV's for the game have Rammstein or similar anyway (Opinion)
    >Brave<
    >Brave<
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by >Brave< Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:21 pm

Trailer music reason: She obviously doesnt listen to Epic/Trailer genere

Skyrim Look-alike: I dont remember seeing gameplay in the trailer..

Article is pointless
    BartholomewWenceslas
    BartholomewWenceslas
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BartholomewWenceslas Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:43 pm

Honestly, reading the article made me cringe. Her points were all very vague, and two of them were based of the teaser trailer, which does not necessarily represent the actual game by any means and is designed solely to get people interested in learning more about the game. And that is a good song, if it was put into a boss battle, I would love it

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 8:53 am