Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+10
DoughGuy
Sentiel
bloodpixel
Rynn
Conrack
Shakie666
Seignar
reim0027
Ghadis_God
hbm6
14 posters

so i played the unpatched dark souls

hbm6

so i played the unpatched dark souls Empty so i played the unpatched dark souls

Post by hbm6 Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:22 pm

lol lost izalith was rediculus
    anyways, this thread is about the nerfs of weapons and items throughout the game. I could still remember hearing that the shield you get from moonlight butterfly was op, I tested it and it did 500-600 max on the enemies.
    It was good but not over powered, certainly doesn't do the damage of soul spear or pyromancy. So what was so over powered about this weapon, I understand maybe a durability increase should have happened, but not the damage nerf, now it's some useless joke of a shield.
    also the miracle vow of silence was actually useful, now all you have is a far inferior version that is completely outclassed by magic barrier.
    now to my point, this thrend of complaining and having useful spells and items need to stop, I understand the need to nerf certain things (twop, dwgr.) but this witch hunt needs to end.
    rant done
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

so i played the unpatched dark souls Empty Re: so i played the unpatched dark souls

Post by Ghadis_God Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:47 pm

The point of nerfing the ring shield was that it allowed to to beat a boss with very little effort and skill. Its damage was tied to the attack of your right hand weapon, so you could boost the damage to insane levels. Also, TwoP was ridiculous, it lasted for way too long before the nerf. Also, the GHB armor had the defense of a much heavier set, remember when everyone was using it and the fog ring before the DWGR became the new OP thing? I think a lot of those nerfs were warranted.
    reim0027
    reim0027

so i played the unpatched dark souls Empty Re: so i played the unpatched dark souls

Post by reim0027 Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:59 pm

That shield could easily do 1,000+ damage to bosses from a good distance. Nerfing that was a good choice.
    Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Seignar Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:29 pm

Crystal Ring Shield and BKGA was the ganker's arsenal at that time. Gold Hemmed was the top-tier armor. Antiquated Skirt was a must. Izalith was cheap. Elementals were the best.

Yeah, we got plenty of fixes that were needed.
    Shakie666
    Shakie666
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Shakie666 Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:09 pm

What was cheap about izalith? I had the game from day 1 but I didn't get there until after the first patch (I didn't have the crystal ring shield either sad). There is of course a part near the end of izalith that is still (arguably) cheap, but that's something for another day silly
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:24 pm

All the bounding demons would aggro you at once if you tried to run through. You pretty much had to use the Fog ring and a bow to deal with them.
    Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Seignar Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:30 pm

I wish I had a comical picture to show you. Let's put it like this:

Today, you can get across the lava pool without any violence.
    Before, you would have aggroed 3 dinosaurs when you first enter the lava pool and start taking the branch path; aggroed 1 dinosaur as you made your way across the path -2 if you aren't careful-; aggored 4 or 5 dinosaurs as you try to make it to the first structure by crossing the lava; aggroed 1 or 2 as you made your way across the first structure; aggroed 2 or 3 as you made your way to the second structure -maybe a third-; and you would have aggored 2 dinosaurs as you made your way to the branch leading to the main structure -quite possibly 4 or 5 if you take a slightly off route-.

I died 40, no, maybe 50 times my first time and another 10 my second time...and maybe another 10 my third time.

My preferred method was actually Iron Flesh into a group so they would all kill each other, since Iron Flesh was so much better then.
    Conrack
    Conrack
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Conrack Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:28 am

pre patch lost Izalith was hell.so i played the unpatched dark souls 1330857165
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:45 am

Pre patch izalith was a living hell, and there was NO good way to tackle it...

Want to see why?
    Shoot four arrows. 1 at 4 different dragons.

Good luck.
    Conrack
    Conrack
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Conrack Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:14 am

I remember.... I tried tacking that place without archery or magics as a regular old knight, worst place ever and then the four kings...
    bloodpixel
    bloodpixel
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by bloodpixel Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:17 am

Really brings me back.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:00 am

Lost Izalith pre patch was terrible. It was WELL worth that 30 Humanity to skip it. There's nothing down there anyway, few souls items, Humanity and 2 Divine Blessings. Bah!
    We can thank to Umbasa, that one of devs wasn't troll enough to put a Slab there.
    DoughGuy
    DoughGuy
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by DoughGuy Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:18 am

Pre patch DkS in general (apart from a few noted exceptions) was a lot harder. The Sens bomb thrower alone, who apparently was a psychic, made it hard.
    DMC
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by DMC Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:49 am

I can't remember for sure but in the very beginning weren't you forced to go to New Londo to cure curse (which also stacked lol)? I know I did anyway and it was hell.

Someone else told me the undead merchant always sold purging stones (but at a higher price) but I don't think she did in the very beginning.

Also not sure about Oswald.

Anyone know for sure?
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:50 am

DMC wrote:I can't remember for sure but in the very beginning weren't you forced to go to New Londo to cure curse (which also stacked lol)? I know I did anyway and it was hell.

Someone else told me the undead merchant always sold purging stones (but at a higher price) but I don't think she did in the very beginning.

Anyone know for sure?
    I was posting about this recently.
    Going to New Londo was only way to remove Curse. Nobody but Ingward sold Purging Stones. You could still famr them from those giant clam enemies though, but they're only in Ash Lake and Crystal cave.
    And yes, Curse stacked up to 4 times, reducing your HP to 6% of it's original value.

They made the game lot easier in some things, but it's still very fair and balanced. I would prefer if they made it harder though. I wasn't having as much of a hard time with DkS as I had with DS on my first runs.
    DMC
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by DMC Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:54 am

^ Thanks, that's what I thought I remembered but wasn't sure.
    Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:48 am

Sentiel wrote:
    DMC wrote:I can't remember for sure but in the very beginning weren't you forced to go to New Londo to cure curse (which also stacked lol)? I know I did anyway and it was hell.

Anyone know for sure?
    I was posting about this recently.
    Going to New Londo was only way to remove Curse. Nobody but Ingward sold Purging Stones. You could still famr them from those giant clam enemies though, but they're only in Ash Lake and Crystal cave.
    And yes, Curse stacked up to 4 times, reducing your HP to 6% of it's original value.

They made the game lot easier in some things, but it's still very fair and balanced. I would prefer if they made it harder though. I wasn't having as much of a hard time with DkS as I had with DS on my first runs.

i always traded a cracked red eye orb with snuggly for two purging stones before venturing into the depths for the first time.

but the thing i remember the most from pre patch Dark Souls was how bloody long it took to obtain souls and farm for trinkets.
    Conrack
    Conrack
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Conrack Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:58 am

What I remember, (from memory silly, and from recently replaying Demon's Souls) was one thing that made it harder for me was the abundancy of lethal falls and enemies abilities to hit you over said falls. Another thing was armor rating no matter what you armor rating was about 180-230 none of this crazy 500+ heavy stuff. I dont know why but I really miss my Brushwood armor if you could fast roll in that you deserved to stomp players.
    Djem
    Djem
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Djem Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:13 pm

Stacking Curse, man. That is just... Just... The definition of difficult.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:34 pm

Djem wrote:Stacking Curse, man. That is just... Just... The definition of difficult.
    Imagine going to New Londo with 6% of your normal HP to get rid of it.
    hbm6

Post by hbm6 Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:06 pm

the ring shield could have gotten a minor nerf, instead it's magic attack is completely worthless now, they could have increased all bosses magic deffense. the sorceries still out damage it, and they can stack rings and crowns, pyro too and you don't have to invest instats much to do it.

Im not saying that no nerfs should be made, im saying that we complain about the wrong things
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Glutebrah Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:12 pm

hbm6 wrote:the ring shield could have gotten a minor nerf, instead it's magic attack is completely worthless now, they could have increased all bosses magic deffense. the sorceries still out damage it, and they can stack rings and crowns, pyro too and you don't have to invest instats much to do it.

Im not saying that no nerfs should be made, im saying that we complain about the wrong things

you are right that they over nerfed it, but it needed a huge nerf, they should have just assigned a flat damage to it that scaled with int.

the fact that a vitality gouge build with a +5 lightening Greataxe could do over 1400 damage with it was to much.
    hbm6

Post by hbm6 Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:34 pm

someone neg reffed me, i wasn't aware that i could be neg reffed for an opinion.

yeah i do see what you mean, i guess im just mad that all these things you could do before were taken out do to unwarranted complaints, now im seeing people complain about rofap and wolf lol are they even serious.
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Glutebrah Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:39 pm

hbm6 wrote:someone neg reffed me, i wasn't aware that i could be neg reffed for an opinion.

yeah i do see what you mean, i guess im just mad that all these things you could do before were taken out do to unwarranted complaints, now im seeing people complain about rofap and wolf lol are they even serious.

People will always complain bur you have to look at and see if what they complain about is game breaking. And the crystal ring shield was, you could dispatch bosses in a few seconds with no stat investment, in a game that is suppose to pride it self on being really hard.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:55 am