Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+12
raecor14
Seignar
passivefamiliar
Sloth9230
Everynevers
ublug
Argetlam350
steveswede
Acarnatia
Djem
Buggy Virus
Mike5005005
16 posters

Bring back Item burden(a bit different though)!

Buggy Virus
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Bring back Item burden(a bit different though)! - Page 2 Empty Re: Bring back Item burden(a bit different though)!

Post by Buggy Virus Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:33 pm

Juutas wrote:I don't see equip burden adding anything in the game really...

Item burden can add to the system, but generally how it would be added to Dark Souls wouldn't be beneficial.

When I say it can be beneficial, I mean it can add an extra challenge. It's the kind of challenge people get from playing fallout in hardcore mode, where everything you set out with or pick up must be calculated and what not. It adds the extra difficulty of choosing what you will bring, and organizing your stash, as you will invariably use it for necessary things and you can't run out. Adding an urgency to pack enough things to keep you alive versus offensive items, and to finish your journey as quickly as possible.

Personally, I think this is a cool mechanic. . .

On the other hand, it isn't for Dark Souls. Dark Souls has no mechanic in which you need to continually take an item to keep you alive, such as food. So, item burden is really just restricting your ability to hold different weapons, or pick up weapons or armor. Being that Dark Souls is all about letting you tackle challenges with different methods and setups, this is silly. So it becomes an annoyance instead of a real difficulty you need to overcome.
    steveswede
    steveswede
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Bring back Item burden(a bit different though)! - Page 2 Empty Re: Bring back Item burden(a bit different though)!

Post by steveswede Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:57 pm

Buggy Virus wrote:When I say it can be beneficial, I mean it can add an extra challenge. It's the kind of challenge people get from playing fallout in hardcore mode, where everything you set out with or pick up must be calculated and what not. It adds the extra difficulty of choosing what you will bring, and organizing your stash, as you will invariably use it for necessary things and you can't run out. Adding an urgency to pack enough things to keep you alive versus offensive items, and to finish your journey as quickly as possible.

Personally, I think this is a cool mechanic. . .

Dark Souls isn't an adventure game, it sections areas off as if they are levels. You're trying to add an adventure mechanic to a game that has no place for it. Demon's Souls proved that item burden in a Souls game was annoying and pointless because you do not travel far and wide from home and items are not scattered everywhere in abundance like in other RPG. Unless DkS adopts open world structures like Skyrim to explore with bucket tonnes of crap to pick up everywhere, there is no point to add item burdens in any shape or form.
    Buggy Virus
    Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Buggy Virus Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:03 pm

Well. . . that was what the second part of my post was about.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 4:54 am