Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Gameplay inspiration speculation

Deathsitexxi
    Deathsitexxi
    Addicted
    Addicted

Gameplay inspiration speculation  Empty Gameplay inspiration speculation

Post by Deathsitexxi Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:44 pm

I nomally put up really heavy and long posts in the archives so I thought I'd change it up a bit =) Has anybody noticed that Dark Souls is like an upgraded or even evolved version of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (Dracula X)? My wife during Christmas has been going through her bi-annual tradition of playing through of C:SotN when I noticed it. I’ll make a list of some of the similarities I noticed below.

Anor Londo looks like Dracula’s Castle.

Open world-esque with knowledge of the area determining the ease of your play through (short-cuts and all)

Some enemy similarities

Main goal very similar. A.k.a kill master of the castle.

You won’t see everything in your first play through because it’s a lot of knowledge based details and exploring.

It’s not very substantial and honestly Dark Souls draws a lot of inspiration from many different sources, but I bet Miayzaki was a big Castlevania fan =O I could just be seeing Dark Souls in all the games me and my wife like XD
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Gameplay inspiration speculation  Empty Re: Gameplay inspiration speculation

Post by Shkar Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:01 pm

Most of those seem kind of like traditional fantasy tropes, although I will admit that Castlevania does seem to be the best fit for inspiration of the series I know of.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:32 pm

Those are just common aspects of game as well as gothic themes.

Metroid Prime, Doom, and Duke Nukem also could be considered similar games, wolfenstein for some of the gothic feel.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 6:05 am