Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
Jester's Tears
Serious_Much
defacto
Slarg232
Shakie666
9 posters

DLC bosses

Shakie666
    Shakie666
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

DLC bosses Empty DLC bosses

Post by Shakie666 Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:13 pm

I saw a thread a while ago where someone was complaining that all the dlc bosses were basically the same - fast and aggressive. However, it just dawned on me: are there any properly hard bosses in DkS that aren't fast & aggressive? (O&S, 4 kings, gargoyles + gapra demon don't count since there's multiple enemies). I just looked at the boss list - the short answer is there aren't any (BoC notwithstanding). So, does anyone else know how to make a hard boss that isn't fast or aggressive or has multiple enemies?
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

DLC bosses Empty Re: DLC bosses

Post by Slarg232 Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:26 pm

If I may, I don't see the problem with fast and aggressive bosses; if it's a giant thing trying to kill you, it's not going to wait it's turn....
    You could make an actual mage boss, kinda like Gwyndolin but more Seathe like. Seathe wasn't that scary for the dedicated magic boss.
    Shakie666
    Shakie666
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Shakie666 Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:40 pm

Well, I guess it would be better to not make them all fast + aggressive, I would like a bit of variety TBH. But I can't think of any other way of making a hard boss.
    defacto
    defacto
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by defacto Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:48 pm

Slow but super hard hitting with hard to avoid attacks and a butt load of HP.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:58 pm

defacto wrote:Slow but super hard hitting with hard to avoid attacks and a butt load of HP.

thats pretty much what the iron golem was meant to be like.. didn't pan out, lol

I think a boss that tears you to shreds with bleed, poison and toxic would be really cool.

Basically though you got it covered, fast, aggressive bosses and multiple enemies make bosses hard.. nothing you can do about that.
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:07 pm

Giant Mushroom boss battle?
    Jester's Tears
    Jester's Tears
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Jester's Tears Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:09 pm

A good boss Either Puts Pressure on you. (In my opinion)
    He/She/It makes you think different, then what you Did killing his Minions. Being Fast and aggresive adds to the Pressure.

Artorias is a Good Example.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Location : In the Forest, casting the spells that make the gankers fall down

Post by Sloth9230 Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:31 pm

If anything, more regular enemies should also be fast and aggressive.
    Mini Flamelurkers FTW!!!
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:39 pm

Aggressive bosses don't let the player derp around. I mean I can dance chuckle circles around Taurus, he's really a joke. My friend beat him down his first time getting to him (with only 1 estus left) He seriously had infinity more trouble with the BK in the burg.

Now he got to O&S and well, I laughed as I watched him die for 2 hours.

Aggression forces the player the react(correctly) constantly, and a mistake is often fatal against the harder bosses.

Bed of Chaos I actually find to be rather similar to the other 'hard' bosses. If you mess up once you die.

And at the heart of difficulty is the possibility for failure, if you can't fail it's not difficult. So difficult bosses pressure you to not make a single mistake or you risk running back to them in shame.

Any boss that can end you for a single mistake I think would be hard. And the more aggressive a boss is the more likely you are to make a mistake (as you have to make more choices in a short span of time)
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:48 pm

Multiple moves, like Artorias and Queelagg, help too. If your boss only has a few moves that can either be exploited or can be avoided in the same exact way, then you have Failed.

Run up to Stray Demon, watch out for occasional predictable explosions, wait for him to do his ground pound, wail on him, raise shield, repeat. Use blead weapon to speed up the process.
    AzureCrow
    AzureCrow
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by AzureCrow Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:23 pm

Ceaseless comes to mind as a literal walking tank, you have enough time to use a great heal between his attacks but there's the trade off of each hit taking more than 70% of your health. Also fighting gaping dragon at proper levels can be surprisingly challenging, nearly every attack can 1HKO and that dam charge instakill has crazy AOE.

There aren't however any boss fights that feel like steady drawn out battles which might make for an interesting change of pace for the souls games. one good battle of attrition would really put the struggle of the others into perspective.
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:33 pm

Oh, Ceaseless kinda pisses me off; let's kill this giant molten mountain man by breaking his finger or causing him to fall three times his height. That's totally going to make sense.... At least the Dragon God gave you the feeling you were fighting something alot more powerful than you...
    ublug
    ublug
    Forum Lord
    Forum Lord

Post by ublug Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:08 pm

Gwyn is actually fast and agressive, it's just a shame that you can parry him.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:12 pm

How that happened is beyond me. You can't parry Artoriaas or even Ornstein last time I checked.
    Shakie666
    Shakie666
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Shakie666 Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:22 pm

Apparently Sloth, they wanted to make a boss that can be fought by any playstyle, including sneaky, backstabby-riposty rogues/thieves.
    Sloth9230
    Sloth9230
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Sloth9230 Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:34 pm

Boss that can "challenge" any play style, I believe was the intention silly

Miyazaki: Although as far as the game is concerned I think we could have done a little more with the character. He's the last boss and the concept of the character was to have the player use all the skills they'd developed through the game. I wanted them to have to use everything they've learned in order to beat him. The reason that he uses such a simple single sword fighting style stems from this concept, but in the end we ended up taking a different direction.

Waragai: Parry, parry, parry. Haha

Satake: Yup parry, parry. Haha

Miyazaki: That's the truth… I regret that the fight turned out this way…

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:53 pm