I've only invaded in the forest and the Demon Ruins (with my "pure" mage), and while it started out incredibly fun, it has become a very frustrating experience.
Here are my primary PvP frustrations:
1. GLITCHY AS *** CHSM - I use it in PvP because it is fast to cast when someone misses their shot and I'm standing in front of them, which KO's them when I'm close enough, but it's main purpose (the "COME TO ME" counter) is completely ruined when invading as Darkwraith. I'm trying to rely on it less, but it's really the ONLY good spell that Mages have in PvP. It's disappointing that the best spell Mages have in PvP is almost destroyed by glitchiness.
2. LAAAAAAAAAG. Playing a mage I can definitely say it's my own damn fault if I cast something too close to an opponent and they step aside and run up and BS me, but when I'm WELL OUT OF REACH and get snagged once by a GS or UGS, stunlocks me, I'm boned... and that's just plain obnoxious.
3. One-shot kill nothing: I'm playing SL60 (with 50INT) and you can't be a ranged "squishy" character if your hits never catch. So how do you get the damn hits to HIT MORE OFTEN?
4. Bowing - I'm officially quitting bowing. I don't care if it's seen as dishonorable, I've been getting attacked while bowing so many times now that it's over. *** you, PvP jerkoffs that can't be honorable.
5. Phantom punches - What's with getting hit (not lagstabbed) when you're 20 digital feet away from the opponent? I'm not talking about the lag teleport, I'm talking about they're obviously far away from you and you snag some damage. Unless there's always an archer sitting in the bushes plugging you full of arrows, there should be no reason for this. This fits into gripe #2.
Now, some area-specific frustrations:
Forest - I don't mind 2v1 and it's what happens almost every time I invade, and I think it's very satisfying to win when the odds are very heavily stacked against you, but they REALLY need to fix the damn fog wall when you spawn while invading. You can't see anything in front of you and though most players won't come up to you and shank you immediately, it's still obnoxious to have to tweak the camera just to see what's waiting for you.
Demon Ruins - There's a new phrase I'd like to coin for this game: "Column Bitches." Look, if you're a new(er) player or someone who REALLY just wants to finish their playthrough without getting raped by an invader, I can understand being cheap/annoying and using the terrain to your advantage to win and/or get away from the invader, but if you are CAMPING, just waiting for invaders, FIGHT THEM FOR ***'S SAKE. Turtling behind a shield is one thing that you can get around, but when all you do is stand behind a fucking column OVER AND OVER AND OVER I just want to pull the plug (but I'd be a sissy if I did). Sometimes gaming is a complete waste of time already without you being a twat when you get invaded.
So to be any kind of challenge, do you really have to be a melee player or a cheap-ass WotG user? What does one do to combat/prevent/eliminate/strategize around the above gripes? I went from thoroughly enjoying PvP with my mage to get damn annoyed in about two days. I'm not entirely against starting a new toon; in fact I want to, but what the hell am I missing?