Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Henkyona
Casdman
6 posters

The Leo ring

Casdman
    Casdman
    Addicted
    Addicted

The Leo ring Empty The Leo ring

Post by Casdman Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:32 am

I just had a few quick questions about the Leo ring, and I haven't been able to find the info anywhere else.

Does the Leo ring also apply to offhand weapons? or just main hand ones?

What exactly is the window to proc the Leo ring, during their attack, just after it?

an answer for these would be greatly appreciated happy
    Henkyona
    Henkyona
    Addicted
    Addicted

The Leo ring Empty Re: The Leo ring

Post by Henkyona Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:38 am

Enjoy
    Zephryl
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Zephryl Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:53 am

Holy wow. Is there a list of all weapons/attacks that have Pierce? Considering using it on another playthrough
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:54 am

Not sure about offhand weapons, but I think it does affect them. Easy enough to test.

The window of effectiveness is fairly generous and you can land the effects right after an attack goes by if your counter attack is quick enough. Since there is no deflection in PvP combat it can be useful even with weapons you don't go full turtle with (like the BSS R2 stab), in addition to the usual rapiers, spears etc. Counter damage also seems to apply to various other types of attacks besides melee -- you can get the effect if you stab someone in the middle of them casting a spell at you, for example. Depending on cast duration this can be risky but very rewarding, such as when someone has slow dark magic casts and you can tag them 2-3 times really fast.

Leo ring also boosts ranged attacks that do thrust damage, notably crossbows. This has its uses in PvP for certain (like shooting someone from afar if they are spell casting, per above), but is borderline OP in PvE where you can stand off and destroy mobs or bosses with it. For example, S&O's various buttslam attacks allow for counter damage until they basically get back to their feet, so all you do is stand just outside the lightning radius and shoot them with a crossbow over and over.
    Casdman
    Casdman
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Casdman Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:10 pm

Thanks for the info guys happy

Il test the off hand stuff when i get home i guess, i really do hope it works cause it would make a rapier offhand even more viable 8)

Also super great info for the crossbow thanks a bunch
    Automancer
    Automancer
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Automancer Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:15 pm

Anything that has a 'thrust/priecing' category to their attacks. The Leo Ring also works with crossbow bolts but i'm not too sure of bows. As long as their attack type is one or the other, it'll get the counter bonus. Like the Lucerne/Warpick/Pickaxe that are purely thrust weapons. One of the only exceptions is the Barbed SS. The description states that it has a thrust attack but that's clearly an error.

Damn, ninja'd by everyone. sad
    Henkyona
    Henkyona
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Henkyona Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:17 pm

Also you can do what ENB did and have CMW PW RTSR and the leo ring for massive damage.
    Yeah Automancer that all ways pissed me off because I love that weapon but love thrusting ones more.
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:57 pm

Ok - I have used leo ring a lot so here is what I have learned so far:

- Up to 65%-68% counter dmg bonus. All counters receive 20% dmg bonus so LR adds approximately 40%ish counter bonus. Taking this into consideration the LR in my opinion can be the most powerful "continous" offensive buff in the game. I have routinely scored counters doing 800+ AR using a crystal+4 BSS 2H R2 attack. I have also done 30 dmg with a lowly poison knife on a counter. I have also done 700 damage using a +15 comp. bow with feather arrows against a full form dragon bro (lack of armor was probably the reason for the high damage) - I simply couldn't believe my eyes.

- What is a counter? A counter is ANY action an opponent takes such as casting spells, pyro, rolling, parry attempt, etc. So a counter can occur not only before/during/after (within the proc window of course) an actual attack - but as a result of other actions an opponent may take as noted above.

- The LR works with any thrust weapon (physical dmg only in the event a weapon does split dmg) such as: spears (except MLBH due to all magic dmg), thrusting swords (BSS, rapiers, daggers, barbedsword etc), warpick, pickaxe, halberd, bolts, arrows and throwing knives. One weapon which lends well to LR usage is the barbed sword since EVERY attack is considered a thrust attack. I have also heard the morningstar works with the LR but I have not tested it personally.

I'm sure I may have forgot to mention something so let me know if there additional questions. The leo ring is amazing offensive buff - I have killed opponents who simply could not believe I did that much damage with the weapon I was using. The LR has on several occasions allowed me to win very close fights - in fact I just recently won a duel using it with only 3HP left at the end since my counterattack occured during my opponent's final attack - his attack was blunted by the massive counter I scored. If I did not have the LR on I either would have died or it would have been a double kill. So if you want to do some massive damage on the sneak tip and leave your opponents speechless - give the Leo Ring a whirl.

Last edited by Brokewilly on Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:10 pm

Automancer wrote:One of the only exceptions is the Barbed SS. The description states that it has a thrust attack but that's clearly an error.Damn, ninja'd by everyone. sad

It has been confirmed - the LR does work with the barbed sword. You can trust me - I have been on the receiving end of LR-enhanced barded sword jumping counter attack. The barbed sword is excellent canidate for the LR because ALL of it's attacks are considered thrust.
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:20 pm

Brokewilly wrote: - What is a counter? A counter is ANY action an opponent takes such as casting spells, pyro, rolling, parry attempt, etc. So a counter can occur not only before/during/after (within the proc window of course) an actual attack - but as a result of other actions an opponent may take as noted above.

Yeah, I've seen claims that counters only happen during attacks, but you often seem to get great damage bonuses during all sorts of interrupt actions, like when an opponent's guard is broken, if they are reloading an avelyn (I often wait for this and then pummel them with my own heavy crossbow + leo ring bonus), etc.

The ring can make for some great burst damage if you time it right. My personal favorite was going after a mage with my BSS + leo ring build. Mage started to cast dark magic in front of me just as I chained two R2 stabs. The damage stacked so fast the guy died by falling straight over backwards out of his casting animation like he was trying to make a snow angel.
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:29 pm

befowler wrote:The ring can make for some great burst damage if you time it right. My personal favorite was going after a mage with my BSS + leo ring build. Mage started to cast dark magic in front of me just as I chained two R2 stabs. The damage stacked so fast the guy died by falling straight over backwards out of his casting animation like he was trying to make a snow angel.

Excellent - good to see you still taking it to 'em!! I know the dude you killed did not know what hit him. It was the casting animation that killed him and he probably still does know what happened. The LR is simply "shock and awe" rolled in nice little package.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 29, 2024 3:52 pm