Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+17
Animaaal
barrywilkins
Sentiel
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
reim0027
GenericUsername
grossemesser
hageshisa
EeAyEss
lordgodofhell
Avenger649
Fotitudo
FlorisFreakshow
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
skarekrow13
The Letter X
martyrsbrigade99
21 posters

Can Forest Hunters honestly be considered gankers?

Hugh_G_Johnson
    Hugh_G_Johnson
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Can Forest Hunters honestly be considered gankers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Can Forest Hunters honestly be considered gankers?

Post by Hugh_G_Johnson Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:40 am

First of all: The Brigade is back!! Yay! cheers I love all the vids & commentary. Thanks for all you do for the community. I agree with a majority of your opinions. The obvious exception would be the evaluation of your skill. However, I would definitely say that forest hunters can be gankers.

Check out the urban dictionary definition of gank. Definition #1 is to steal; forest hunters are the only players who can steal in the whole game. As far as a gang kill; there's no denying that they often gang up 2 on 1. In fairness, I believe that within the context of Dark Souls it has basically evolved to mean a scumbag host with at least one summon camping in an area specifically to beat up on invaders. Obviously forest hunters are hosts, so they can't do that. In the end whether you call it ganking or not there are definitely forest hunters who gang up on hosts the way gankers gang up on invaders. There are also a bunch of 'try hard' forest hunters who specialize in fishing for 1600+ back-stabs just like a lot of the gankers.

There are, however, as Martyrs even pointed out (citing his own 'no respect for forest hunters' video) some forest hunters who will not engage without help. Some won't even do that. Look at all the AFK guys who just want to get souls in the cheapest way possible. I fought a guy who didn't want to engage other than ranged magic and after I was able to close the distance and hit him a few times he ran and hid. When another invader would come, he'd take pot shots with a bow from across the map and run away with the fog ring (I think he was using chameleon, too when he was alone). After over an hour and a half of this he finally died from taking like 9 damage from a fall running away from me. lol!

As far as the forest hunters doing a job... I don't really see that. You must kill Sif and get the covenant of Artorias to beat the game. So unless there's a forest hunter who's never killed Sif or beat the game all the forest hunters are traitors -- even though it doesn't count in the game for some reason. It's just a way of fitting a no holds barred royal rumble arena into the story of the game. So I don't really take that seriously.* Nobody is forcing hosts to be there in human form, but similarly nobody is forcing anyone to join the forest hunter covenant. You know you're going to face gankers sometimes and you know you're going to get help sometimes. As a wise man once said: "it is what it is".

*If you're looking at my avatar & signature wondering... yes, I realize the same could be said for the darkmoon covenant. The difference is I'm actually hunting down someone who has stolen humanity from another player (as opposed to arbitrarily guarding some random place in the game). And I don't invade as a red outside of the RSS, so I'm not a traitor. So I do take it a bit more seriously than the forest hunter covenant. But I do realize it's also basically an excuse to pvp. The role playing part of the darkmoon covenant just makes more sense to me.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Can Forest Hunters honestly be considered gankers? - Page 2 Empty Re: Can Forest Hunters honestly be considered gankers?

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:47 am

@barry - You're making two different points, now you're saying that ganks happen in the forest because the game intended for it to be that way. I agree with that.

But at first you compared it to other areas in the game, and compared to other areas of the game the invasion situation in the forest is different. There's a reason it is seen as different.
    Murdeaulio
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Murdeaulio Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:45 pm

Yes, they can.
    Lord of Ash
    Lord of Ash
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Lord of Ash Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:15 am

We aren't the gankers 95% of the Time idk about Psn but the forest is full of host hackers people wanting to just fight hordes of people doth I kill weapons and insane amounts of health no longer able to be bled
    Poozila
    Poozila

Post by Poozila Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:12 pm

This is just to me personally ,but I consider any 2v1 a gank. It's just that it's not really the Forest Hunter's choice whether or not it turns into a 2v1. I don't really mind gankers though cuz it's fun to fight them.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 1:03 pm