Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+18
Hugh_G_Johnson
AnCapaillMor
Bloodpact91
Jansports
MistahrFox
Zyrrashijn
IV_Mark_VI
Zephryl
NPCWhiteMage
Teh_hapy_octopus
Infighter
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Rynn
Mr. Tart
Zeta Prime
Phoenix Rising
Peaceful Wollyhop
Animaaal
22 posters

Dark Souls Living Riddles With Rules #1 (concluded but ongoing)

Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Dark Souls Living Riddles With Rules #1  (concluded but ongoing) - Page 8 Empty Re: Dark Souls Living Riddles With Rules #1 (concluded but ongoing)

Post by Rynn Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:00 pm

It is not a Scimitar.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Dark Souls Living Riddles With Rules #1  (concluded but ongoing) - Page 8 Empty Re: Dark Souls Living Riddles With Rules #1 (concluded but ongoing)

Post by Animaaal Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:19 pm

*snip :silent:

*snip :suspect:

If this is my last post, please keep in mind the rules. They are not designed for the authors or for the guessers.

This is how they came about:

My son was in the hospital a week ago for three days. Now certainly I was not able to participate, and the thread (if wrote at that time) would have suffered.

Thats why those rules are there. So that at almost anytime, the thread could live on.

*snip :silent:

If this is goodbye...its been real. Bow

Last edited by Animaaal on Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:19 pm; edited 4 times in total
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:41 pm

I hope you're not referring to any potential legal trouble, Animaaal. That's something that I'm really hoping is not the case. Dark Souls Living Riddles With Rules #1  (concluded but ongoing) - Page 8 3149687655
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:14 pm

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:I hope you're not referring to any potential legal trouble, Animaaal. That's something that I'm really hoping is not the case. Dark Souls Living Riddles With Rules #1  (concluded but ongoing) - Page 8 3149687655

Why you think I'm "wanted"??? lol!

The "nomadic uncle" lol.

No its not that, forget it.

I just wanted to remind everyone interested to read the rules.

This thread is a beautiful gift. You guys can manipulate it anyway you want. Its truely "living". Chances are, I won't be the next Riddle Ref unless the Riddle Master defers the right at the end of the pole.

The reference to my son was also an example of anything. I give all my rights up to the rules I authored, the idea of the thread, and even the thread title over during an extenuating circumstance. I think its an awesome idea. You can just cut and paste everything, make some minor adjustments...and BAM! You're best riddle master of all time lol. An easy necroable thread.

There was so much confusion before in other riddle threads. This one fixes everything. It wont be that 60 page one brilliant riddle thread, but the rules allow it to be whatever we want. And believe it or not, they are easy to follow.

But I digress...if I shant return fellows....may riddles live on.
    Teh_hapy_octopus
    Teh_hapy_octopus
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Teh_hapy_octopus Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:09 am

Smough's hammer
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:10 am

It is not Smoughs Hammer.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:37 am

Avelyn
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:39 am

Nor is it the Avelyn
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:21 pm

1st riddle to 20 guesses and no right answer? We shall see. Rynn has 1 guess left on her riddle and then the floor will open.

Nice riddle Rynn, and sorry, it seems no one wanted to discuss the 20 guess limit. It stays for now...but the way it looks, you could very well be the next Riddle Ref and make the rules anything you want lol (rule 13).

Great job guys.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:26 pm

I personally don't mind this riddle exceeding the 20 guess limit.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:22 pm

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:I personally don't mind this riddle exceeding the 20 guess limit.

If I had to make a loose assumption based on other opinions, I'd say the count would be 4-3...maybe 5-3 in favor of the limit?

I dont know how well that reflects all opinions though. Not many expressed an opinion.

This is how I posed the discussion before:

Animaaal wrote:
    Rynn wrote:...Please take it off. Honestly I'd prefer the 20 guess's rule not exist entirely....

Done.

I will also open the floor for this discussion.

The rules have been worked and reworked and I think its time to critique. However, I would of course feel they are fine because I wrote them, and this is not what this thread is about. I will close this particular discussion in apprx 12 hours and change the rules either with this thread or in "Dark Souls Riddles With Rules #2".

Please keep in mind there have already been participants, but no one has reached the 20 guess mark, so I don't believe it matters much.

Before forming an opinion, please consider the following:

-Should there be a way for a riddle to conclude outside of being correctly guessed and lapsing a 72 hour period?

-Should the count be raised to 30 or even 40?

-Editing 30 or 40 answers is asking a lot of the "Riddle Ref" (I'll define the "RR" later)

-As of now there is no rule discriminating against....the uninformed? For instance: Someone could get on here and answer a riddle categorized as "people" and say, " cheers FIRELINK!!! EVERYTHING IS FIRELINK!!! cheers " or even, "Skyrim...its the best game you DkS players suck!"

-Again, Tart's guess was pretty brilliant and I would hate to see those answers be completely discredited, but if they must they must.

-And one more time, consider the "20 guess rule" to be a time saver forthe Riddle Ref, and a way to keep the thread flowing.

***NEW***

-Would it not strengthen the reputation of the riddle if there were 20 good guesses and the answer HAD to be revealed by the author?

There really wasn't any responses. Being the currnet Riddle Ref, I have to make a call. As of now I see it as a way to save me time, keep things going, and avoiding 20 pages of answers and people wagering guesses just for the hell of it.

That was a huge problem in other riddle threads. Rynn voiced her concern, I thought it would be disrespectful not to open the floor for her concern.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:39 pm

Very well, may we have the final guess so I can reveal the answer to the riddle?
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:47 pm

titanite Catch Pole

-The Prowling Demon's jump attack.
    -Great reward and great peril
    -"freight of a beast"
    -Sought after by all
    -"hands of the one who swings it"
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:07 pm

That isn't correct. I would have taken any of the following as an answer.

Greataxe
    Any deriviation that indicated "Berakand Knight's Great Mace"

The great mace is the accurate answer, however the enemy this riddle was created for can drop a Greataxe upon being defeated, and as such the Greataxe would have been accepted as an answer. As for the riddle and how it all fits together.

A flicker, a flare
    You're almost there
    when down comes a tower of steel
    and with great rewards comes greater a peril
    when this freight of a beast slays you.

Although it is quick it also is slow
    Sought after by all
    Yet attained by but one
    We screech and we claw and in time it will fall
    from the hands of the one whom swings it.

A flicker, a flare
    Behind the knight that holds this mace is a firekeeper soul, the unclaimed item has the particle effect of a flickering flare.
    You're almost there
    By the time you first see the knight you are within 5 feet of the keepers soul
    when down comes a tower of steel
    The knight to any player looks like a tower of black steel, it looks large and unyielding, and you're unsure how to fight it.
    and with great rewards comes greater a peril
    The great reward is the firekeeper soul, the greater peril is the Knight, whom in a single swing does more damage then an estus flask +1 (your reward) can heal.
    when this freight of a beast slays you
    A play on words, the enemy you are fighting is both practically a freight train, and it is a frightful encounter your very first time.

This part of the riddle is both a clue and a mis-direction, it describes the scene of where you are, which if properly interpreted guides you to the correct weapon, but it also misguides you into believing the treasure spoken of is the weapon, when in fact the treasure, a firekeepers soul, is mundane and irrelevant as far as finding the answer is considered.

Although it is quick it also is slow
    The knights swing this mace in a particularily interesting fashion: They have a very slow wind up, and then a very lightning fast swing. The same is actually true for the Greataxe.
    Sought after by all
    Yet attained by but one

One of the things Dark Souls advertises is that the player can attain any weapon in the game. This is true, except for two weapons: The Four Kings Sword (which I'd considered making a riddle for) and the Great Mace. There is also only one Knight in the entire game outfitted with this weapon.
    We screech and we claw and in time it will fall
    from the hands of the one whom swings it.

This line simply describes your battle with it's lone, and only owner. At the end of the battle, it often drops the weapon on the ground during it's death animation: where sadly it will vanish, never to grace the world of Dark Souls again.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:10 pm

cheers The floor is now open cheers

*This is a "first come, first serve basis".
    That means anyone. Including previous authors, just bear in mind you are allowed 3 riddles per thread at this time.

Good Luck

Last edited by Animaaal on Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Phoenix Rising
    Phoenix Rising
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Phoenix Rising Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:11 pm

Would you have accepted mace?
    Teh_hapy_octopus
    Teh_hapy_octopus
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Teh_hapy_octopus Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:11 pm

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
    i was gonna guess that sad
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:11 pm

Can I take the riddle, I got another.

And no, Mace is too un-specific. There is many maces in Dark Souls.
    Teh_hapy_octopus
    Teh_hapy_octopus
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Teh_hapy_octopus Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:12 pm

as long as i dont post a riddle first
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:15 pm

Fiery flares drop everywhere
    Like rounded pools filled with despair
    Yet shields worn by ashen knights
    receive only a short reprieve

Gathers Dust in an old tomb
    Sought for treasures never took
    twixt between it's always there
    and with it's flare it spreads despair

Weakened force we crash we fall
    In crystals, chaos, or faithful Gall
    we look upon the flare once more
    and in a flash it then will fall.

I am a character.

This should be rather easy, as Category practically gives it away already. This is my riddle from the other thread.
    Teh_hapy_octopus
    Teh_hapy_octopus
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Teh_hapy_octopus Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:17 pm

ceaseless discharge?
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:23 pm

Ceaseless Discharge is not correct.
    Teh_hapy_octopus
    Teh_hapy_octopus
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Teh_hapy_octopus Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:25 pm

the everlasting dragon?
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:29 pm

The Everlasting Dragon is not correct.
    Teh_hapy_octopus
    Teh_hapy_octopus
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Teh_hapy_octopus Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:30 pm

well so much for super obvious
    ill be back in an hour

edit: 200th post cheers

Last edited by Teh_hapy_octopus on Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 4:04 pm