Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 posters

The Quest for the most defense in the game!

JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

The Quest for the most defense in the game! Empty The Quest for the most defense in the game!

Post by JoeBroski09 Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:56 pm

Ok, so, I've always been interested in defense. I've always wanted to see if I could make it change anything in PvP. It's a fairly large factor in PvE, but EVERYONE says it's horrible in PvP. Which is kinda true. The tests have come back, and defense just fails out in PvP.

Well, let's go all out, shall we?

What has the most defense in the game? Giants.
    What rings give you the most defense? Steel Protection and Blue Tearstone
    What spell upgrades your defense? Iron skin.

So, let's look at some defense/hp gauge builds and do some number crunching.

http://mmdks.com/1gnj

Suggestions and changes to the build are welcomed.

So, let's do the math.

With 1750 HP, my Blue Tearstone ring will activate at 350 HP. At that point, my defense will to up to just above 700, from 469. ONLY way the blue tearstone ring is effective is if it's increase in defense will save me from an attack that will normally do 350.

In this, I'll need help. In your guys' experience, what weapons would be blocked and save my life, and which ones will bypass the extra defense like it's no big deal?

Second Option: Mask of the Mother
    http://mmdks.com/1gnr

My HP is now 2013. My defense is 433. The blue tearstone will activate at about 400 HP. When the blue tearstone ring is activated, my defense will go up to about 650.

Does it make any difference? What weapons would be blocked by the blue tearstone ring, thus saving my life?

I'd like to test this out once I finish the build. I will start on it soon, and see if I'll have to delete it haha!

Any feedback, questions, or additional information would be helpful.

Right now, I can't test Iron Flesh, because MugenMonkey doesn't do that. I don't think. I'd love to do the numbers with that spell activated, but I don't know if the increase in defense shows in the character tab, or if it works with Blue Tearstone Ring.
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

The Quest for the most defense in the game! Empty Re: The Quest for the most defense in the game!

Post by LunarFog Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:44 pm

Don't forget that humanity ups defense too. by about 30 at 99.

And I know that some weapons (like the dragon greatsword) adds magic defense. You might want to check and see if any gives physical defense.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

The Quest for the most defense in the game! Empty Re: The Quest for the most defense in the game!

Post by Rynn Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:11 pm

I thought Smough actually gave more physical defense.

Also no, no it won't. We did some tests while determining if I should wear the Blue Tearstone or the Ring of Steel and protection and we discovered that while it's intensely noticable, it's not very helpful.

A blow that would do about 200 damage, with 400 defense, did 170 with 450 defense, and about 135 with 600.
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:12 pm

Rynn wrote:I thought Smough actually gave more physical defense.

Also no, no it won't. We did some tests while determining if I should wear the Blue Tearstone or the Ring of Steel and protection and we discovered that while it's intensely noticable, it's not very helpful.

A blow that would do about 200 damage, with 400 defense, did 170 with 450 defense, and about 135 with 600.
    What armor were you wearing?
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:14 pm

JoeBroski09 wrote:
    Rynn wrote:I thought Smough actually gave more physical defense.

What armor were you wearing?
    Mask of the Mother + the other 3 pieces of the guardian set. So I have 450 slash defense, 420 pierce, 400 crush.
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:37 pm

Well, I guess the only thing left to test is Iron Skin, and how that works with the Blue Tearstone Ring.
    FinPeku
    FinPeku
    Chat Moderator

Post by FinPeku Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:51 pm

Black iron helm has slightly better physical defense than giant helm happy
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:05 am

Iron Flesh is a static % based increase in value.
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:52 pm

Rynn wrote:Iron Flesh is a static % based increase in value.
    So... It does better with heavy armor?
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:13 pm

Technically it does best if you're naked.
    It removes 50% of the final damage product, so if you only took 50 damage, then it only resists 25, but if you took 500, it resists 250.
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:17 pm

Whoah. I am so looking forward to using Iron Skin on 100% of the bosses on this toon big grin
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:18 pm

Physical only, no effect on magic and fire, and I believe it's the opposite with lightning.
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:22 pm

Rynn wrote:Physical only, no effect on magic and fire, and I believe it's the opposite with lightning.
    So... all pyromancy is weak to lighting?
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:24 pm

Iron Flesh and Flash Sweat certainly receive debuffs to lightning.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:29 pm

Rynn wrote:Iron Flesh and Flash Sweat certainly receive debuffs to lightning.

I know the effects in game rearding lightning and water aoe enhancements....but I've never heard flash sweat was affected by this....interesting.

Is this something you tested, or are you speculating Rynn?

I know you said certainly, but I cant find any threads aboutthis or justification outside of your statement.

Thanks in advance.
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:08 pm

Animaaal wrote:
    Rynn wrote:Iron Flesh and Flash Sweat certainly receive debuffs to lightning.

I know the effects in game rearding lightning and water aoe enhancements....but I've never heard flash sweat was affected by this....interesting.

Is this something you tested, or are you speculating Rynn?

I know you said certainly, but I cant find any threads aboutthis or justification outside of your statement.

Thanks in advance.
    The snake in Sens fortrss goes from doing 30 damage per hit with it's lightning to doing 39 when I cast flash sweat. It seems to bolster lightning damage by about 30% if all other forms of lightning perform the same way.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:33 pm

Awesome. Thanks. That needs in the wiki.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 5:54 pm