Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+19
Hugh_G_Johnson
Elifia
WandererReece
Nybbles
Xaelai
KeeperOfThe7Keys
General Bale
User1
Odinbear
DemonOfFate
gmwdim
Djem
Walter_White
Pilgrim34
Dibsville
Jester's Tears
XachAttack
lonewolf
Automancer
23 posters

Dumb Souls: Prepare to Stupify

WandererReece
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Dumb Souls: Prepare to Stupify - Page 2 Empty Re: Dumb Souls: Prepare to Stupify

Post by WandererReece Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:13 am

gmwdim wrote:... and of course, all of our buddies who don't know about the Covenant of Artorias and suicide-jump into the Abyss.

I had that happen twice.

The first time a host summoned me. The host didn't actually jump. We got to the boss door and I recieved a message, "I forgot the ring." The second time he summoned me he messaged, "I got the ring this time."

The second time I was hosting. I summoned a white phantom, and he imediately took off without me. Then I summoned a yellow phantom, and we met White by the boss door. He was almost dead. I didn't heal him to punish him for leaving me. (I would've healed him in the boss fight.) I entered the boss door, and I heard the humanity "pop" sound. Then we all jumped down and watched White sink into the Abyss. White was in such a hurry to get to the boss that he forgot the ring!
    Xaelai
    Casual
    Casual

Dumb Souls: Prepare to Stupify - Page 2 Empty Re: Dumb Souls: Prepare to Stupify

Post by Xaelai Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:53 am

WandererReece wrote:
    Xaelai wrote:I really really don't know why everybody wants to melee the stupid titanite demon in AL.

Seriously.

There's a blacksmith right next door that sells an infinite supply of arrows, a short bow is really not that hard to get and very few classes can't use it automatically, and it doesn't take That many arrows to kill him, and if you shoot him from the balcony above, you are in absolutely zero danger of ever getting hit, and you can do this while in hollow form so you can't get invaded.

Let me guess. You're one of those people who use the Black Bow + Hawk Ring AI exploit all the time, right?

Eh, no.

I'm a guy who carries a simple short bow on me +5 or +10 and carries 999 wooden and 999 standard arrows (and when going to AL, 100-200 poison arrows) at all times for taking out some enemies at range when it is safe to do so.
    Odinbear
    Odinbear
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Location : Sitting here in limbo, but I know it won't be long. Sitting here in limbo, like a bird without a song. Well they're putting up resistance, but I know that my faith will lead me on. Sitting here in limbo, waiting for the dice to roll.

Post by Odinbear Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:31 am

Djem wrote:
    Xaelai wrote:I really really don't know why everybody wants to melee the stupid titanite demon in AL.

Seriously.

There's a blacksmith right next door that sells an infinite supply of arrows, a short bow is really not that hard to get and very few classes can't use it automatically, and it doesn't take That many arrows to kill him, and if you shoot him from the balcony above, you are in absolutely zero danger of ever getting hit, and you can do this while in hollow form so you can't get invaded.

Then when you actually decide that you want to clear the place and/or kill O&S, you can then turn yourself human, summon helper(s), and the stupid demon would be dead already and if you get invaded, that's one less danger you have to worry about.

But then I suppose that takes actual logic and brains, and this thread _is_ about those who lack both.

Yeah, but that would make things too easy. You have to know that most of the Dark Souls community is made up of masochists.

Manus, the other night. Summoned a helper. He dies at manus, so do I , shortly after. Summon him again, he messages me that "M-anus is hard" , I say nawwwww. But he proceeds to use the glitch to shoot manus without a fight. I just stand there. Manus dies.
    I felt SOOOOO CHEATED out of a good fight.
    if you can't beat something in the game, maybe you can glitch it, but with 2 sl65 ish toons, there's absolutely no need to cheat/ use a glitch to get by an area or boss.
    Hugh_G_Johnson
    Hugh_G_Johnson
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Hugh_G_Johnson Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:00 pm

I fought a guy in dark Anor Londo the other day who healed twice after I hit him with a couple of spells and some MLGS swipes. In the middle of our fight there some distance between us and I'm anticipating him re-engaging since he's almost got full health, but he runs behind a pillar. I decided not to chase and top my HP off, grass and repair my MLGS. Then I see him cast a spell; it looks like TWOP or GMB. I'm ready to run or switch weapons, then I see him emerge from behind the pillar. He's barely able to move; he cast iron flesh! He's now a stationary target for my magic -- LOL. Even the sword does 100% magic damage, what was he going to tank with that? Poor guy... thanks for the easy ear and LOLs -- GG! big grin
    Djem
    Djem
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Djem Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:11 pm

Seriously guys. If people were good enough to play on their own, they wouldn't summon you for help. Don't hold your standards so high.
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:43 pm

However, some may just want to speed up the process of say, going through an area. They may already be great at the game, perhaps they just want to get through it faster?
    Xaelai
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Xaelai Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:47 pm

There's a difference between using an exploit, and using common sense.

Grabbing a Bow and shooting the titanite demon from the second floor balcony is common sense.

Glitching something to where it SHOULD be able to retaliate against you but can't because of an obvious glitch is something else entirely.

What's next, someone is going to say that using extremely high poise armor and a high stability shield to straight up tank a boss is an "exploit" and we should all be dodging his attacks instead of blocking them?

I mean, seriously, now.....

The hate in this thread is surprising. Using a bow to kill a big huge melee guy from afar? Madness I guess.
    General Bale
    General Bale

Post by General Bale Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:05 pm

I don't summon because it makes things easier or faster.
    Actually on SL 211 waiting for summoning signs often takes far far longer than beating the boss solo. But I don't care.
    I summon because jolly cooperation is so much more fun than going solo. Dumb Souls: Prepare to Stupify - Page 2 639795459
    I have met many great people through summoning random players and with them had some of my most epic Darksoulsmoments ever. Often enough a simple summoning has turned into an epic coop adventure playthrough. Why should I go solo when I can have that? cheers
    KeeperOfThe7Keys

Post by KeeperOfThe7Keys Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:41 pm

Xaelai wrote:There's a difference between using an exploit, and using common sense.

Grabbing a Bow and shooting the titanite demon from the second floor balcony is common sense.

Glitching something to where it SHOULD be able to retaliate against you but can't because of an obvious glitch is something else entirely.

What's next, someone is going to say that using extremely high poise armor and a high stability shield to straight up tank a boss is an "exploit" and we should all be dodging his attacks instead of blocking them?

The hate in this thread is surprising. Using a bow to kill a big huge melee guy from afar? Madness I guess.

Theres's been no hate. I'm just saying that I find that no fun at all and there are others who feel the same. I felt the need to point that out because you made it seem like your way was the smart way and ours the dumb one, that any other strategy is for people who don't know any better.

Everyone knows you can take down that enemy from complete safety, we just have no desire to do that.
    Xaelai
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Xaelai Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:22 am

KeeperOfThe7Keys wrote:
    Xaelai wrote:There's a difference between using an exploit, and using common sense.

Theres's been no hate. I'm just saying that I find that no fun at all and there are others who feel the same. I felt the need to point that out because you made it seem like your way was the smart way and ours the dumb one, that any other strategy is for people who don't know any better.

Everyone knows you can take down that enemy from complete safety, we just have no desire to do that.

That is all fine and dandy when the player actually has the skill to do so, I'm talking about times in which I'll get summoned by a host who is clearly on his first playthrough, who have no clue on how to actually deal with its attacks (such as the host who will run in and get roflsmashed 2 seconds later).

If you're a skilled player who can actually engage the thing and not die two seconds later, then hey cool, go melee it. It is much faster to kill in melee anyways. But the rest of us (IE, the ones who need to summon help for O&S) probably aren't that skilled, especially when there's an invader present as a couple of the stories in this thread will tell you.

This thread is about people who are not very skilled at the game; my main point was people just starting out really ought to learn to grab a bow and shoot some of those huge powerful "me roflsmash you now" enemies.

"But how are they going to learn how to fight that thing, if they never engage it in melee?" you might ask... well, the three demons in Sen's Fortress are a good place to learn -- they're not in a tiny cramped room (though hopefully you kill the snake mage before jumping down in the pit, hopefully you knew enough to equip the rusted ring beforehand lol). Or how about the one in the Parish? Nice big open area to practice with.

The one in AL is for those who already know how to fight it, due to its tightly cramped quarters and the fact you can't even get in the door without getting smashed by that huge staff he has.
    Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:54 am

so last night i'm invading in Anor Londo at level 43 and i spawn at the two sentinals at the top of the giant staircase. the rotating stairs are still in their starting position and i also discover that both gargoyles are still alive. which got me scratching my head.

so after looking around for a bit, the host is nowhere in sight. actually it looks like i've been summoned to a world that is hostless. all chests are closed, all enemies are still there and all fog gates are still up. so i jump down onto the rotating stairs and turn them so i can get over to the area where the host should have first entered Anor Londo.

then the rotating stairs starts heading down as soon as i step off them, then it starts coming back up again. now i'm really wondering what's going on. how the hell did the host get down to the darkmoon tomb?

so the host is using a great club and one shots me with a dead angle then sends me a message "thanks i was stuck down there"

what? how could you get stuck down there?

"i made a mega mule and warped to the bonfire, forgot the stairs don't work from down there"

how long were you down there?

"bout 20 minutes, thanks for getting me out"

why didn't you just warp out?

Look Skyward
    Xaelai
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Xaelai Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:02 pm

so the host is using a great club and one shots me with a dead angle then sends me a message "thanks i was stuck down there"

what? how could you get stuck down there?

"i made a mega mule and warped to the bonfire, forgot the stairs don't work from down there"

how long were you down there?

"bout 20 minutes, thanks for getting me out"

why didn't you just warp out?

So.......the host was cheating, using one of those fancy modified save files or something? If you invaded him in AL, then he didn't beat O&S yet, and he's warping like he has the Lordvessel?

Gah, that would have sucked, to find out that you accidentally helped a cheater. But yeah, if he can warp, I don't get why he didn't just warp out.
    WandererReece
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by WandererReece Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:27 pm

^ Not only did he hack, but he wasn't smart enough to pull the lever down there to make the stairs go to him. There's a lever close to the Darkmoon bonfire.
    Elifia
    Elifia
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Elifia Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:52 am

WandererReece wrote:^ Not only did he hack, but he wasn't smart enough to pull the lever down there to make the stairs go to him. There's a lever close to the Darkmoon bonfire.

That lever doesn't work until you interacted with the lever on the platform. Same goes for the other levers that are not on the platform.

As for the hacker/cheater thing, I don't think megamule is that bad. All it does is allow you to create a character up to SL650 real quick without having to go through all the PvE. It doesn't give you any gameplay advantage.
    Hugh_G_Johnson
    Hugh_G_Johnson
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Hugh_G_Johnson Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:40 am

Speaking of the mega mule... so, I'm in the burg with a half our old sl 100 toon (ho-hum) and I summon a guy for a duel. He put DMB on a bandit's knife or dagger and to be fair, he was doing normal attacks, but he was also trying to fish me pretty hard. Anyway, I hit him for a combo with the gold tracer and bled off a big chunk of his HP, I've probably got 75% HP and he'd got about 25% HP. Not long after that he catches his BS fish and my health bar disappears. I have 1786 HP, so clearly he has a BS fish build. He points down... but my character gets up! :shock: I probably could have finished him off while he was pointing, but I popped a humanity to be safe and honestly, annoying -- considering he fished me and was rude enough to taunt (not to mention arrogant and stupid). I finished him quite easily after that. That was a very satisfying kill! big grin

edit: Another fellow got me down to 13 HP after dead-angling a synergy boosted wog (after a few tries) when I had controlled the whole match to that point. Forgive me if I don't seem amused... :| I started to back-off and he does as well, presumably to stay allow the fight to stay "in bounds". I thought at the time he was trying to lure me to the synergy rings again, that would be truly stupid though, considering he probably coundn't see my HP. He throws a knife, which I side step and as I start to come forward to make my Butch & Sundance style last stand, he goes to throw another item (looked like a firebomb) so I continued right on around him and hit him with a BS! Proper Bow
    Xaelai
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Xaelai Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:01 am

I probably could have finished him off while he was pointing, but I
    popped a humanity to be safe and honestly, annoying -- considering he
    fished me and was rude enough to taunt (not to mention arrogant and
    stupid).

Anybody that taunts me is getting the most dirty fighting I can possibly pull off at the time.

There's just no call for that junk, TBH. Especially when the person they're taunting did nothing wrong.
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:49 pm

Automancer wrote:This game ain't fer casuls. Charging into an enemy mob in DkS is one of the worst things you can do. Kappa.
    I see that all the time. Worst part is you HAVE to follow and save their arse before they commit hollowcide
    vegan666
    vegan666
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by vegan666 Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:30 pm

To OP, didn't read the rest of the thread, but you do realise some people are new to this game right? Doesn't make them stupid.
    Xaelai
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Xaelai Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:33 pm

vegan666 wrote:To OP, didn't read the rest of the thread, but you do realise some people are new to this game right? Doesn't make them stupid.

There's newbie mistakes, and then there's the "OMG, do you have anything between your ears whatsoever?" type things.

Walking down a hallway to get stabbed in the back by an enemy hiding in a nook is a newbie mistake.

Blindly chasing after a Darkwraith into a room that has a huge freaking demon that is easily visible from outside the room is a complete lack of common sense, especially in Anor Londo. By the time you get to AL, you would have somehow gotten through Blighttown and the Undead Parish, and Sen's at the very least. Unless you used a mega mule or something, but meh. Most newer players probably wouldn't know about that.

You'd think by the time you get to AL, you'd know what a red phantom is, and what an Invasion is, and also you'd know that a big freaking huge demon AND an enemy player at the same time is pretty much certain death.
    vegan666
    vegan666
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by vegan666 Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:41 pm

Xaelai wrote:
    vegan666 wrote:To OP, didn't read the rest of the thread, but you do realise some people are new to this game right? Doesn't make them stupid.

There's newbie mistakes, and then there's the "OMG, do you have anything between your ears whatsoever?" type things.

Walking down a hallway to get stabbed in the back by an enemy hiding in a nook is a newbie mistake.

Blindly chasing after a Darkwraith into a room that has a huge freaking demon that is easily visible from outside the room is a complete lack of common sense, especially in Anor Londo. By the time you get to AL, you would have somehow gotten through Blighttown and the Undead Parish, and Sen's at the very least. Unless you used a mega mule or something, but meh. Most newer players probably wouldn't know about that.

You'd think by the time you get to AL, you'd know what a red phantom is, and what an Invasion is, and also you'd know that a big freaking huge demon AND an enemy player at the same time is pretty much certain death.

Not to nitpick, but that demon isn't visible from outside the room. Maybe they rushed in cause he thought he could kill the phantom. I just find that sometimes, the DS community can be particularly harsh on players than haven't read through the wiki start to finish and know everything there is to know about DS. Any way, my 2 cents.
    Xaelai
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Xaelai Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:50 pm

Not to nitpick, but that demon isn't visible from outside the room.
    Maybe they rushed in cause he thought he could kill the phantom. I just
    find that sometimes, the DS community can be particularly harsh on
    players than haven't read through the wiki start to finish and know
    everything there is to know about DS. Any way, my 2 cents.

I remember seeing him through the doorway?

That was just a rough example anyways. I've seen some really odd things people do, that just defy common sense and/or show me that the person hasn't learned anything from their time in the game thusfar.

The game starts you off easy with the Asylum, sure. But as soon as you step foot in the Burg, you're taught that you need to look around corners, watch the rooftops, check towers behind you for snipers, and not to rush in (firebomb zombies will burn you then you get hit in the back with an axe in several spots if you try to rush in).

So... if all of this happens in the Burg (and it gets worse when you get to Parish and especially Blighttown)... how the bleeep does someone get clear to Sen's... or Anor Londo... and fail to learn by now that Rushing In = Fail? If I get summoned by a host in Parish and they're rushing into things, I'll laugh at it a little, but I won't call them Stupid -- I can understand, it is the Parish.

But if I see it in Anor Londo or later... then yeah... it is like "Uh... haven't you learned Anything the game has been trying to teach you by now?"

I don't expect everybody to read the wiki front-to-back (I didn't discover the wiki myself until I got stuck on the Gaping Dragon and needed some reading up on how to kill him), but the game starts teaching you as soon as you arrive at Firelink.

But then I suppose some people require a lesson be taught 100+ times before they start learning? Who knows.
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:10 am

Meh. If they want to act like children with superiority complexes, let them taunt me. Doesn't phase me anymore. I'm past that. I rank/rate myself, not on victories, but on how well I played.
    Hugh_G_Johnson
    Hugh_G_Johnson
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Hugh_G_Johnson Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:32 am

You can't get to Anor Londo without getting plenty of evidence to suggest that blindly running into an unfamiliar area is not smart, especially to chase an invader who was clearly running to that place for a reason. But, he charged straight in and followed the invader right up to the titanite demon. He didn't take the hint when we put the brakes on at the doorway and he left us there rather than letting us take the lead. Finally, there's an extremely high likelihood that he has encountered a titanite demon before and he had every opportunity to bail on his plan once he saw the demon and even if he hadn't you'd think he might be concerned just by seeing it.

I'm convinced that was his first time in Anor Londo and I still think that he's pretty dumb for doing what he did. I don't have a problem with new players, I just thought it would be fun to share stories about dumb things we've seen happen in this game.
    WandererReece
    WandererReece
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by WandererReece Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:42 am

vegan666 wrote:I just find that sometimes, the DS community can be particularly harsh on players than haven't read through the wiki start to finish and know everything there is to know about DS. Any way, my 2 cents.

OMG that's so true!
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by twigsterxd Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:38 am

It was discussed about the invader using the titanite demon mainly as a body guard. I can see that happening if it's a 2 on 1 or 3 on 1 but i've found so many chicken invaders who invade and MUST use the environment for help. I hate being invaded but these types of chicken invaders should either learn to PvP or just stop invading. If i get invaded and it's 1 on 1 and the invader is a chicken, i'll just sit in a safe area, forcing them to either come at me or stone out lol. But as far as the host who ran right in, i'll bet he learned his lesson

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 7:22 am