Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+8
Baal-Avatar
Peaceful Wollyhop
Dubscythe
Bloodpact91
Xaelai
Serious_Much
User1
MiketheMushroomMan
12 posters

Bioshock Infinite worthy of being classed as comparable to Dark Souls?

MiketheMushroomMan
    Casual
    Casual

Bioshock Infinite worthy of being classed as comparable to Dark Souls? Empty Bioshock Infinite worthy of being classed as comparable to Dark Souls?

Post by MiketheMushroomMan Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:16 pm

As a work of art? It's getting a lot of praise from the critics. For me, I'm slightly disappointed. I know it's a beautiful game, but in many ways I feel it is nowhere near getting close to the unique genius of Dark Souls. The narrative is a bit convoluted, and pretentious and the gameplay is a step sideways from the original Bioshock.
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Bioshock Infinite worthy of being classed as comparable to Dark Souls? Empty Re: Bioshock Infinite worthy of being classed as comparable to Dark Souls?

Post by User1 Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:30 pm

The story was disinteresting to me, I despised the main character, there was no chance to think of the events before the game, no lore, no anything that made me like the first one. To sum it up, a bit crap.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Bioshock Infinite worthy of being classed as comparable to Dark Souls? Empty Re: Bioshock Infinite worthy of being classed as comparable to Dark Souls?

Post by Serious_Much Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:37 pm

Let me just predict where this thread goes:

This forum has the most dedicated and obsessed souls players in the world on it.

Bioshock Infinite- a AAA title that has garnered almost suspicious praise after doing what sounds like what critics like to call "streamlining" these days (I call it watering down), and a story centred around racism- which lets be honest, even if it was bad, who's gonna call it out in our PC world really?

I think everyone is gonna say it's ridiculous.. though the game already looks like it'll get awards thrown at it by the end of the year.. Lets hope DKS2 is given as many amazing reviews as this probably overrated game has been given.
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:39 pm

It was a waste of money on my part. Just saying.
    Xaelai
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Xaelai Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:51 pm

That's what tends to happen when the game companies pay the reviewers to give good ratings.

It is entirely stupid, but... it happens.

That is why I wait until I see some youtube videos of real gamers doing real gameplay before purchasing a game. I don't buy it until I see real, un-doctored honest-to-God UI and gameplay images/footage.

To me, if I can't see the UI, I don't care. The pics of pretty background landscape are not going to make me buy a game. The UI is one of the most important things in a game IMO.

Dark Souls has a fairly good UI (though it has some bugs/annoyances I hope they get rid of in DKS2), and after watching a few peeps play it, I was like "yeah that looks like a game I could get into" ...

Bought it, and wound up loving it.

As far as BS:I, meh.

It is a FPS game with lots of dialogue and vague adventure bits. There's certainly enough of those nowadays. I mean, really... what's the difference between, say, BS:I and other titles like Halo, Doom, Quake, Half-Life, etc? There's more dialogue and the setting is different? Oh, there's "Magic" too? That's not enough for me, TBH.

Comparing an FPS game to a Third-Person RPG is like taking an apple and comparing it to an orange. Two entirely different types of games, two entirely different styles, etc etc.
    Bloodpact91
    Bloodpact91
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Bloodpact91 Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:59 pm

I've seen several gameplay videos , and some of them are from a commentator who makes EVERY game sound interesting, every game except that one. I did not play it personally , but it looks like total ****.
    Dubscythe
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Dubscythe Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:59 pm

I greatly enjoyed the game, but I do not think you can compare the two as "art". I don't even think Dark Souls would be considered art, personally.

Xaelai wrote:
    It is a FPS game with lots of dialogue and vague adventure bits. There's certainly enough of those nowadays. I mean, really... what's the difference between, say, BS:I and other titles like Halo, Doom, Quake, Half-Life, etc? There's more dialogue and the setting is different? Oh, there's "Magic" too? That's not enough for me, TBH.

Well I think you can say the same of any game. What's the difference between Dark Souls and other 3rd person RPGs? There's more challenge and a different setting? And there's "online" too?

You can't just simplify things like that.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:06 pm

I think bioshock could be an excellent series, it shakes up the FPS genre a bit with story focus and plasmids- I aqctually got the first one off my friend the other day only played it a few hours so far but thoughts already:

I like how you've got guns NOT with 2 weapon slots. Games without are heroic, games with make me puke.. in fact borderlands 4 slot set up barely is acceptable with me. However the guns are a bit boring- you're in an underwater city and the best you can do is a revolver, tommy gun etc? give me some weird, crazy weapons!

Plasmids- genius idea. So far only got a few but looks like they'll become very interesting as others develop, though the lightning seems like the most useful one really

Story- it actually looks interesting, for an FPS. I've heard bioshock is very narrative heavy, and with me almost dieing the pile of recordings ive looted so far (i havent listened to them to be honest though) and getting told every step of the way about the story, I'm liking it so far, it's an interesting setting certainly.

BIG BIG BIG BIG GRIPE- Why can't i dual wield? Seriously. For me you should be dual wielding plasmid and gun. Maybe not the shotgun or machine gun, but frankly the pistol and wrench would do with balancing them by allowing dual wield.. Plus the whole "one two" punch is a bit slow if i have to draw my weapon every time.
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:10 pm

You can dual wield plasmid and weapon in Bioshock 2, but the game itself is not as good as the original by a long shot. And, be on the lookout for Hypnosise Big Daddy. It's really useful in tough situations.
    Dubscythe
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Dubscythe Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:10 pm

Serious_Much wrote:
    BIG BIG BIG BIG GRIPE- Why can't i dual wield? Seriously. For me you should be dual wielding plasmid and gun. Maybe not the shotgun or machine gun, but frankly the pistol and wrench would do with balancing them by allowing dual wield.. Plus the whole "one two" punch is a bit slow if i have to draw my weapon every time.

I have a feeling you would like Dishonored.
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:11 pm

Oh, what a great game Dishonored is.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:19 pm

It's made by bethesda, so I have a lot of reservations about it to be honest..

What's wrong with it? Only half a game? Two million and counting glitches? Combat so pathetic I feel like stabbing myself with a screwdriver?
    Peaceful Wollyhop
    Peaceful Wollyhop
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Peaceful Wollyhop Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:23 pm

Well I am still playing through infinite and have really enjoyed it so far. Bioshock is still one of my all time favorite games. I got a lot of fun out of Bioshock 2 as well. Really enjoyed the multiplayer on it. And asking if 'Bioshock Infinite worthy of being classed as comparable to Dark Souls?'....on a Dark Souls forums...you're gonna get 80% bias answers.
    Dubscythe
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Dubscythe Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:29 pm

Serious_Much wrote:It's made by bethesda, so I have a lot of reservations about it to be honest..

What's wrong with it? Only half a game? Two million and counting glitches? Combat so pathetic I feel like stabbing myself with a screwdriver?

Wrong wrong wrong.

It's PUBLISHED by Bethesda, it's MADE by Arkane Studios.
    Xaelai
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Xaelai Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:37 pm

Well I think you can say the same of any game. What's the difference
    between Dark Souls and other 3rd person RPGs? There's more challenge and
    a different setting? And there's "online" too?

Bioshock is an FPS, non-RPG.

Dark Souls is a 3rd Person RPG.

You can't compare the two of them to each other; they are far different game types.

Now you COULD compare Bioshock to games like Half-Life (which are also FPS non-RPGs), or you COULD compare Dark Souls to any other RPG that plays similar to it (no games are coming to mind, at least none I can remember right now as its been awhile since I've played this type of game lol. I know there've been others that are similar, but they're just not popping into my head as I type this).

My point was, you can't take two games that are completely different and then proceed to compare them.

What's next, are we going to compare Civilization V to Battlefield 3?

That'd be silly, right?
    Baal-Avatar
    Baal-Avatar
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Baal-Avatar Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:39 pm

Moved to Off-Topic.
    Dubscythe
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Dubscythe Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:43 pm

Xaelai wrote:
    Well I think you can say the same of any game. What's the difference
    between Dark Souls and other 3rd person RPGs? There's more challenge and
    a different setting? And there's "online" too?

Bioshock is an FPS, non-RPG.

Dark Souls is a 3rd Person RPG.

You can't compare the two of them to each other; they are far different game types.

Now you COULD compare Bioshock to games like Half-Life (which are also FPS non-RPGs), or you COULD compare Dark Souls to any other RPG that plays similar to it (no games are coming to mind, at least none I can remember right now as its been awhile since I've played this type of game lol. I know there've been others that are similar, but they're just not popping into my head as I type this).

My point was, you can't take two games that are completely different and then proceed to compare them.

What's next, are we going to compare Civilization V to Battlefield 3?

That'd be silly, right?

I said you couldn't compare them
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:50 pm

Dubscythe wrote:
    Serious_Much wrote:It's made by bethesda, so I have a lot of reservations about it to be honest..

Wrong wrong wrong.

It's PUBLISHED by Bethesda, it's MADE by Arkane Studios.

I feel so much better knowing that it's made by a company who's had almost as many games cancelled as published- good work lads lol!

Seriously though, thats made me feel a tad better, though I probs still wont buy it.. I don't really have the time or money to spend much on games now.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:54 pm

I don't know, if I played it I would probably only give it a 6/7 out of 10 using standard rating systems.

I'd say as art, there is something to it. However as a game, I don't see there are being a whole lot of quality content. There is actually a video being re-uploaded which kind of sums up my views by the Cynical Brit, they're his views of course. We differ on certain points such as that I actually enjoyed Bioshock 1-2, but in regards to the gameplay aspects I mostly agree with him about the negative and positive elements.

Does it seem cool to wander through a world with statues of historical figures treated like Greek gods while hearing about the warped views of these people?

Yeah that sounds fun to me.

Does it look repetitive as hell with bland combat and less variety than previous Bioshock games? Yeah.

https://youtu.be/YwuYhCgQWOc

Totalbiscuit does an analysis of Bioshock Infinite.
    Dubscythe
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Dubscythe Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:20 pm

Tolvo wrote:I don't know, if I played it I would probably only give it a 6/7 out of 10 using standard rating systems.

I'd say as art, there is something to it. However as a game, I don't see there are being a whole lot of quality content. There is actually a video being re-uploaded which kind of sums up my views by the Cynical Brit, they're his views of course. We differ on certain points such as that I actually enjoyed Bioshock 1-2, but in regards to the gameplay aspects I mostly agree with him about the negative and positive elements.

Does it seem cool to wander through a world with statues of historical figures treated like Greek gods while hearing about the warped views of these people?

Yeah that sounds fun to me.

Does it look repetitive as hell with bland combat and less variety than previous Bioshock games? Yeah.

https://youtu.be/YwuYhCgQWOc

Totalbiscuit does an analysis of Bioshock Infinite.

I hate Totalbiscuit, he said Black Mesa was **** because he got stuck on a part where you had to crouch jump.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:22 pm

Totalbiscuit hates puzzles and first person platformers, it should be expected he wouldn't like Black Mesa.
    User1
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by User1 Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:25 pm

I personally quite like TotalBiscuit, but he can sometimes be quite narrow minded. He, sometimes, looks for the smallest excuse to call a game bad. But, in general, I find him quite amusing and helpful.
    Dubscythe
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Dubscythe Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:25 pm

Tolvo wrote:Totalbiscuit hates puzzles and first person platformers, it should be expected he wouldn't like Black Mesa.

Black Mesa is a shooter.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:27 pm

It also has puzzles and first person platforming.
    Dubscythe
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Dubscythe Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:29 pm

Tolvo wrote:It also has puzzles and first person platforming.

Still, primarily a shooter. And in all honestly, he just comes across as a huge prick to me. Guy doesn't care about his fanbase at all.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 3:51 pm