Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+13
Xaelai
ninjashifty
Werdax
Dibsville
User1
Zephryl
alchemydesign
BIG TIME MASTER
O1va_
Hman105
KrazykevS10
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
LunarFog
17 posters

What happens when minecraft players switch to dark souls

Xaelai
    Casual
    Casual

What happens when minecraft players switch to dark souls - Page 2 Empty Re: What happens when minecraft players switch to dark souls

Post by Xaelai Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:21 pm

WaLKA wrote:It makes me sad when I try to get friends into DkS and they give up. One got as far as the Drake Bridge, got lit up by fire and just set the controller down.

Not everybody enjoys a lot of challenge.

Some people would rather the games have optional challenge.

Others love challenge.

The best games cater to as many people as possible. Dark Souls is a good and fun game, but it alienates a lot of people with the difficulty.
    psychichobo
    Addicted
    Addicted

What happens when minecraft players switch to dark souls - Page 2 Empty Re: What happens when minecraft players switch to dark souls

Post by psychichobo Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:44 pm

Eh, I could never advocate pause-and-heal OVER blocking though. People starting Skyrim will most likely use a shield rather than work out the two-handed stagger and all the other tricks. If you're smart enough to very early on use tricks like that or try genuine stealth or poisoning, then you're going to have enough brain cells to figure out blocking on Dark Souls.

I still never felt difficulty was the problem with Dark Souls, just patience, but every noob I see - even ones who have played Metal Gear Solid and survival horror games - completely drop all their carefully honed cautionary combat skills and run at everything flailing wildly. I honestly don't understand.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:36 pm

Zephryl wrote:Yeah I hate it when people call it a bad game because it's difficult. I can understand them not enjoying it, not everyone enjoys that kind of experience, but that certainly doesn't make it a bad game.

Although there are a few deaths that are a bit cheap. Deaths that are essentially unavoidable unless you know they're gonna happen suck. Thankfully the majority of things aren't like that, most of the traps are visible or obvious, or simply not that deadly. I imagine a couple of the more irritating things aren't that way by design either, probably oversight (That one Hydra head being crazy annoying to cut with Melee without falling off, the Iron Golem hurling you off the edge)
    Traps are supposed to kill you. IMO its unfortunate that so many are so obvious.

Anyways, my favorite part was "Be wary of fire. Hmm. Ok. -dies-
    Xaelai
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Xaelai Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:37 pm

psychichobo wrote:Eh, I could never advocate pause-and-heal OVER blocking though. People starting Skyrim will most likely use a shield rather than work out the two-handed stagger and all the other tricks. If you're smart enough to very early on use tricks like that or try genuine stealth or poisoning, then you're going to have enough brain cells to figure out blocking on Dark Souls.

To each their own, I tried blocking at first, but then the first time I faced a really tough enemy, I was getting low on health and I open the item inventory and I'm like "why am I bothering with a shield when I can just chug these?"

And so I switched to a 2-hander and I was like "Yeah, I do way more damage and I don't have to care about incoming damage...."

Going into Skyrim/Oblivion with this mentality works.

Trying it in Dark Souls, however, will get you killed straight quick unless of course you're the master of Parrying and Rolling.

I still never felt difficulty was the problem with Dark Souls, just patience, but every noob I see - even ones who have played Metal Gear Solid and survival horror games - completely drop all their carefully honed cautionary combat skills and run at everything flailing wildly. I honestly don't understand.

And yeah, people rushing in blindly is usually the cause of needless death. A lot of games are like that -- you can just rush in and not care. Games like MGS want you to be stealthy, so of course you'd move in slowly as you're supposed to achieve stealth.

However, in Dark Souls.... unless you get a ring in Sen's freaking Fortress, Stealth is impossible, other than maybe using a bow and arrow. So.... no stealth = let's rush in! in the minds of newbies I guess.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:12 pm