Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
Ghadis_God
User1
Nybbles
Dibsville
Hue
FireproofFlame
Enterich
11 posters

What weapon should i take for my spec?

Elifia
    Elifia
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

What weapon should i take for my spec? - Page 2 Empty Re: What weapon should i take for my spec?

Post by Elifia Mon May 06, 2013 2:46 pm

Ghadis_God wrote:I'd recommend to invest in Strength over Dex and pick a weapon like the Manserpent Greatsword +15 or Great Club +15 for PvE. You're already too far along using scaling stats to make an elemental weapon worth it, and scaling is stronger in the end anyway.

EDIT: Also, why are you all pushing a new player into dual wielding? The forums have really got irresponsible with their advice lately and the older members don't care enough to correct them. Things like the bss are very good in PvP but not so good against bosses and the like in PvE, trust me. Str is the king in PvE.

Personally I think spears/rapiers + high stability (great)shield is awesome for PvE, at least for newer players. Backstabbing is generally an easy way to deal with mobs too, so I'd definitely recommend a rapier.

On my first playthrough, I found the zwei, and started 1-shotting mobs with the 2h R2 before they even came into range, that was pretty awesome too happy I'm pretty sure the zwei was how I killed the Gargoyles for the first time too (first playthrough was solo playthrough). But after that I switched to greatshield+spear, because it made so many things so much easier.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

What weapon should i take for my spec? - Page 2 Empty Re: What weapon should i take for my spec?

Post by Ghadis_God Mon May 06, 2013 2:57 pm

Spears are the exception to the rule for dex weapons, and rapiers have trouble dealing with the mobs you cant bs- try getting through the ToTG with a rapier. Aside from that, OP is three levels away from getting maximum damage out of Str weapons, and 25 away from getting it with Dex.
    Elifia
    Elifia
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Elifia Mon May 06, 2013 3:08 pm

Ghadis_God wrote:Spears are the exception to the rule for dex weapons, and rapiers have trouble dealing with the mobs you cant bs- try getting through the ToTG with a rapier. Aside from that, OP is three levels away from getting maximum damage out of Str weapons, and 25 away from getting it with Dex.

Well, I just cleared NG++ TotG with my SL10 using a fire Estoc (and divine Estoc for Nito's skeletons), so... The reason I suggested these weapons are because of the shieldpoke. Makes a lot of stuff sooooo easy. I'd suggest the Demon's Spear. It has pretty decent str scaling, and has the longest range of all melee weapons.
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Mon May 06, 2013 5:26 pm

Due to the scaling purposes of quality weapons such as the Claymore, the Strength scaling and Dexterity scaling are equal to eachother. This means that they will add the same amount of damage as the other did before diminishing returns are taken into effect. This means that at 28/40, you'll have the same damage as 40/28. This means that the more your balance out your stats, better damage you'll have rather than investing into just one stat. This means that stopping at 16 Strength means the Claymore will actually be a worse choice because of better weapons of the same class such as the Flamberge which is a Dexterity weapon and arguably has a great R2 depending on how you use it. But at 28 Strength, the Claymore becomes stronger due to it scaling more with Strength than the Flamberge does.
    Your best choice would be to go for a 28/40 build, as they can two-hand weapons that require up to 40 Strength but also gain the advantages of increased scaling. (Note that although 27 Strength will also allow you to two-hand 40 STR weapons, scaling tends to cut at 28 Strength for certain weapons).
    Enterich

Post by Enterich Tue May 07, 2013 3:12 am

So: its a good choice zo start upgrading my claymore to +12-15 and later, when i get ebough dex 35+ to wield the bbs, to upgrade my bbs later then to 14-15?

Or is the gravelord sword the same as the claymore WITHOUT high dex? Then maybe just wait for 35 dex and straight upgrading my bbs??

Thanks alot guys happy
    Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles Tue May 07, 2013 10:48 am

i feel that the best break points for strength are 16, 28, 32, 36 and 50.

The gravelord sword is closer to the murakumo than the claymore, which is another large curved sword you get by killing Shiva of the East. The murakumo requires a minimum of 28 strength and 13 dexterity to wield it and it scales nicely with dex. Its stat requirements and scaling makes this an excellent weapon choice for you at 28/40.

The claymore is also an excellent weapon that excels due to its versatile move set. To get the most out of the claymore's scaling, you should try to have a 40/40 build or a 27/40 build at minimum and then use it two handed.

The balder side sword is the strongest straight sword in the game when used by a 28/40 build. Even though it is a dexterity weapon it gets as much scaling from strength as the gravelord sword, so going to 27 or 28 isn't a complete waste, going above that would be a complete waste though. You can wield a balder side sword just as effectively with only 12 strength but since you already have 24 in strength, you might as well go all the way to 28 which is only 4 levels anyway.

If you are planning on raising your dexterity to 40, the 4 extra levels to raise strength to 28 is well worth the effort. it opens up the murakumo which is a top tier weapon and it takes full advantage of the claymores scaling and you it takes nothing away from using the balder side sword.

On a side note, most shields require only 16 strength. Then there is a huge gap until you hit 31 strength when you can wield the cleansing greatshield. 34 is next and opens up the remainder of the greatshields.

Also, off hand weapons are held in your left or shield hand. Two handing a weapon means holding on to it with both hands at the same time. I don't recommend using a weapon in your off hand in place of shield. I do however recommend two handing any weapon that has strength scaling. Even if it's only got E scaling, grab it with both hands and start swinging.
    Enterich

Post by Enterich Tue May 07, 2013 5:04 pm

thanks alot!

im at 28vit now , sl 56.
    only raising dexterity by now to 40 , then str to 28 happy

But i got a big problem..

im fighting the way to anor londo, i was sure i can use this method: ( 10k souls in 1 minute , i already got the +15 pyro flame )
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpSN-RWj43A

but ive seen the comments and so on.... i have to kill an important npc to get anor londo dark.

is there any other good and fast late game farming location?

thanks!
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Tue May 07, 2013 5:28 pm

Dark anor londo farming doesn't really work anymore. Besides if you have the Peculiar Doll you can access the Painted World, where you will find a mass of phalanx enemies (blobs with spears and shields) with your Pyro up that nicely Firestorm will get you the souls you need fast.

You look like you're on the right track, 28/40 is a great build as it lets you use like a billion weapons well. You might like the Halberd or Great Scythe, both are great with those stats. The Claymore is good, Murakumo is amazing but is better for pvp than pve IMO. BSS great. Pyro great.

Looks like you're gonna do just fine.
    Enterich

Post by Enterich Tue May 07, 2013 5:42 pm

the doll from the asylum right? already got it happy

but dont got the firestorm spell yet.. ive asked google for it, there were some comments thats a bad spell to buy?!?!?!?
    Enterich

Post by Enterich Thu May 16, 2013 1:37 pm

Thanks alot for the great painted world advice , its realy working nice happy

Actualy im @
    30 vit
    16 att.
    40 cond.
    28 str
    40 dex

The BIG Question is:

What weapon should i upgrade after my BBS?

Mura or Claymore? Its for PVE Only, only a second choice weapon if i need something with a realy long range and realy good damage.

Thanks big grin
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Thu May 16, 2013 4:21 pm

Enterich wrote:the doll from the asylum right? already got it happy

but dont got the firestorm spell yet.. ive asked google for it, there were some comments thats a bad spell to buy?!?!?!?

You get it from Quelana down in Blighttown, which is also where you get ascended flame +5. It's inferior in every way to fire tempest, but she only gives you that after you defeat bed of chaos. Firestorm is more than enough to flatten the phalanx for farming if you feel the need.
    OmarTheFuzzy
    OmarTheFuzzy
    Casual
    Casual

Post by OmarTheFuzzy Thu May 16, 2013 9:57 pm

Enterich wrote:
    The BIG Question is:

What weapon should i upgrade after my BBS?

Mura or Claymore? Its for PVE Only, only a second choice weapon if i need something with a realy long range and realy good damage.

Ultimately, it's all about what you're comfortable with. But for my money, the Great Scythe is the best and most versatile range weapon in the game -- especially with your high dex stat.
    FireproofFlame
    FireproofFlame
    Casual
    Casual

Post by FireproofFlame Thu May 23, 2013 2:06 pm

True, I myself am a fan of the Lifehunt scythe, But if you are able to get to the great Scythe easily enough in the catacombs... Dat range cool
    Nybbles
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Nybbles Thu May 23, 2013 2:53 pm

the claymore has a better move set that is useful in allot of different situations, while the murakumo has greater reach and damage. why not upgrade both?

the great scythe is a top tier weapon as well. unfortunately it get zero scaling from strength and i don't think it's well suited to a 28/40 quality build. that and i find its moveset awkward and it takes some getting used to.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 2:05 am