Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+36
eminusx
Odinbear
Dusk Soul
Wolfsbane
FoxeoGames
Hart
Tolvo
EarthScraper
SadPanda
Mr. Tart
SlothAlmighty
HereticForLife
Elifia
Exalted Oreo
phastings
emraluces
Seignar
R3dlace
ublug
GenericUsername
Epicfailville
A Fierce Plankton
Encore
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
Serious_Much
arshan272
Dj-B-Man-Jr
Slarg232
Soris Ice Goldwing
Forum Pirate
Dibsville
CaptainSunbro
Rayko
Domhnall of Zena
Animaaal
LunarFog
40 posters

New mechanics/traits you hope are in the next souls game?

Odinbear
    Odinbear
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Location : Sitting here in limbo, but I know it won't be long. Sitting here in limbo, like a bird without a song. Well they're putting up resistance, but I know that my faith will lead me on. Sitting here in limbo, waiting for the dice to roll.

New mechanics/traits you hope are in the next souls game? - Page 4 Empty Re: New mechanics/traits you hope are in the next souls game?

Post by Odinbear Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:42 pm

emraluces wrote:This is for all those who insist on DS2 becoming more approachable in its multiplyer in both forms, summoning and invading. Please know, that From software does NOT want to create a multiplayer game. The key concepts behind the souls' series, solitude and loneliness, are based on cultural philosophies. The Japanese hold in some regard, the introspection one acquires from such virtues. They even have a romanticized cultural lore, of one standing at dusk or dawn on the shoreline alone. This image embodies a symptom of the human condition, one that ultimately eventuates as a flourishing 'self'. And it requires at least some time invested in loneliness.

I've plugged at least six hundred hours into Dark Souls, and now am about fifty hours into Demon's Souls. And nothing could be more clear, than the fact that the core values of the series are founded on an experience that takes the player through the aforementioned emotional experiences.

In other words, the creators of the Souls series are devoted to creating a game where the help a player might receive is not only of the silent and nameless kind, but it is also fleeting. The dev's don't want the player to be able to conquer the darkness with the help and care and comfort of a friend.

Invasions will always be a draw for gamers who wish to compete against their peers (And in a lot of cases, solely to spread misery to those who suffer among them). Likewise, summing will always be a draw for those who wish to illuminate the darkness of their fellow undead.

However, Dark Souls will, and in my opinion should, remain a perilous journey of a LONE lost soul, desperately inching through a devastatingly dark and lonely world, longing for the sun, hoping against hope that one day, he/she might finally triumph over the madness of it all.

In my very humble opinion, this is what makes the Souls series great. And forgive me if I romanticize the idea, but for whatever reason, the particular stripe of journey that this series offers, is unlike any other in gaming. Personally, if this aspect of the game is meddled with, it will no longer be the games I've come to love, it will instead become a COD in a fantasy setting with classic weaponry.

Embrace the solitude. Brave the darkness. Praise The Sun!

-Emraluces

Nicely said. This is why my first playthroughs are blind (no guide) and mostly alone. It is the best experience of all to make it through an area alone. Then to fight the boss, knowing pretty much you're gonna have to do it all again. It is a core of the game's experience.
    SlothAlmighty
    SlothAlmighty
    Addicted
    Addicted

New mechanics/traits you hope are in the next souls game? - Page 4 Empty Re: New mechanics/traits you hope are in the next souls game?

Post by SlothAlmighty Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:47 pm

New mechanics/traits you hope are in the next souls game? - Page 4 Dark_souls_2

this image says it all
    Odinbear
    Odinbear
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Location : Sitting here in limbo, but I know it won't be long. Sitting here in limbo, like a bird without a song. Well they're putting up resistance, but I know that my faith will lead me on. Sitting here in limbo, waiting for the dice to roll.

Post by Odinbear Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:09 pm

SlothAlmighty wrote:New mechanics/traits you hope are in the next souls game? - Page 4 Dark_souls_2

this image says it all

Despair?
    SlothAlmighty
    SlothAlmighty
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by SlothAlmighty Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:27 pm

loneliness, despair, fatigue,

wondering if you will find a bonfire before you lose your souls...or if you should retreat

the essence of the 'souls' experience.

...finding out that the game won't be released until march 2014...
    phastings
    phastings
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by phastings Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:25 am

i agree with everyone who thinks a sense of loneliness should be stressed throughout the game. This includes multiplayer interaction as well as friendly/mysterious NPC's. If they have too many characters populating the game world, it will take away from that theme. 

I also hope that they create value to upgraded weapons by making it a challenge to do so. This doesn't mean it should take 12+ hrs to farm 1 titanite slab, but they need to make the materials needed in limited supply (not purchasable) or find some other interesting way to upgrade. The process should be in depth, difficult, and rewarding to max a weapon. Perhaps even making it impossible for some weapons on the first playthru, which will then add to replay value. What is the real need in having a +15 great-sword with high stats to scale it on the first run anyway?
    SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by SadPanda Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:33 am

phastings wrote:i agree with everyone who thinks a sense of loneliness should be stressed throughout the game. This includes multiplayer interaction as well as friendly/mysterious NPC's. If they have too many characters populating the game world, it will take away from that theme. 

I also hope that they create value to upgraded weapons by making it a challenge to do so. This doesn't mean it should take 12+ hrs to farm 1 titanite slab, but they need to make the materials needed in limited supply (not purchasable) or find some other interesting way to upgrade. The process should be in depth, difficult, and rewarding to max a weapon. Perhaps even making it impossible for some weapons on the first playthru, which will then add to replay value. What is the real need in having a +15 great-sword with high stats to scale it on the first run anyway?

Yeah, but honestly, on your first run did you make a +15 weapon right away? I'm guessing most people just made elementals right away, since the Very Large Ember was in such an obscure place. But it does make the same case, why have a +5 lightning/fire washing pole on your first playthrough, which will just about cheese anything with power within.
    eminusx
    eminusx
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by eminusx Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:27 am

I'd like to see variations the more you climb the new game ladder, nothing huge, just small and subtle changes that are realistically achievable by the devs.

some examples:
    Additional NPC lines past ng+
    Clothing / armour variations, different colour or subtle changes. gold armour is now silver
    Maybe a blue flame for pyromancy past ng+++
    Rain in a previously sunny area? or reduced visibility because of mist or fog
    additional paintings with lore clues
    an additional random surprise enemy
    a different colour stone for a building
    blood soaked weapons or armour

after a few hundred hours of playing you really notice and appreciate the small changes, its genuinely exciting uncovering something new however small it is.
    phastings
    phastings
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by phastings Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:27 pm

Yea sandpanda, I think it was certainly tough to max but doable, I just find that when I start a new character and level a weapon, I just need to fight a few pvp matches and bam I've got 500k souls to buy everything, save a slab. Perhaps then there should be special weapons that are not obtainable first run but only NG+. There stats would be specific to pvp or something, and scale with number of times u beat the game. How cool would that be!? 

@eminusx, yes. I've always wanted them to add special things to NG+. I know they up the damage, but if they replaced the weak enemy's w black phantoms, included special weapons, or like u said add new lore, that would just be awesome
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:33 pm

Might as well add in that I want my summoning magic to be implemented.
    eminusx
    eminusx
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by eminusx Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:33 pm

given all the talk on the 'bonfire / warping thread' about the use of bonfires to warp around early, I reckon it would be good to get some kind of benefit from playing the game the hard way instead of taking the easy option. . .for one it might entice players to really enter into the true spirit of the game. . which can only be a good thing

perhaps doing it the hard way rewards you with cool stuff like those listed 3 posts up?
    Saturday-Saint
    Saturday-Saint
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Saturday-Saint Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:33 pm

I want flying guillotines.
    SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by SadPanda Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:41 pm

More stealth and sneak attacks in PvP is my main want.
    Frank_White
    Frank_White
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Frank_White Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:23 am

I hope you could play an assassin style character more easily in the following ways.
    1. Ring of Fog effect is useful also when you're a phantom. In DkS the blue/red glow is so strong the other player can easily see you even when you have the ring equipped.
    2. Able to feign death for a short while. You only get a few seconds advantage from this (the enemy player might walk away thinking they've killed you and you could attempt to backstab them) as they'll soon realize you're not dead because they haven't gotten the souls/humanity from you.
    3. Able to create and place traps (a limited number, like 5 at max perhaps) that could stun enemy NPCs and players.
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:51 pm

Here you two, have an upvote, for sharing in the Queen's wish for stealth.
    DS_Dene
    DS_Dene
    Casual
    Casual

Post by DS_Dene Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:57 pm

How about weapons that get stronger/weaker during the day/night?
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:29 pm

jaythibodeau
    jaythibodeau
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by jaythibodeau Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:45 pm

I'd love to see equipment, rings or spells that have unique effects. Not stuff like, HURR DUR +40 to VIT. What I'd like to see is more along on the lines of wearing a helmet that increases lock on range, or a ring that alternates the sequence that a weapons combo goes in (such as using the Giant Halberd's first part of the R1 combo, which is a downward slash. With the ring on, it would become the sideways slash).

Last edited by jaythibodeau on Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:08 pm

well with the whole power stance thing for dual wielding, perhaps a ring that boosts attack in that stance but weakens them in your normal stance?

oh and as r2 on catalyst is a slower more powerful version of the spell equipped, maybe a ring that in creases that relationship further? (50% slower cast time but also + 60% power?)
    Dibsville
    Dibsville
    Abyss Dweller
    Abyss Dweller

Post by Dibsville Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:16 pm

The old impaling backstabs for Straight Swords...
    SadPanda
    SadPanda
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by SadPanda Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:10 pm

Daggers have less critical attack damage, but instead of a stab to the back it's a slash to the neck. Thus inflicting bleed instantly, but in Demon's Souls style.
    LunarFog
    LunarFog
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by LunarFog Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:12 pm

@ SadPanda

Hmm....Immediately when I read "daggers have less critical" I began thinking of the most horrible things I could call you without being banned from the forums, but the insta-bleed idea is an interesting one...
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:52 pm

SadPanda wrote:Daggers have less critical attack damage, but instead of a stab to the back it's a slash to the neck. Thus inflicting bleed instantly, but in Demon's Souls style.
    Ehh. If you want to drop someone quickly and give them less time to do something, the kidney is a better place. neck slices/stabs can fail to hit the arterty, in part because the spot is towards the front of the neck (which can't be seen from behind, you have to guess.) If you've had kidney stones (i have) then you know kidney pain, I can't even draw breath to yell, and thats small calcium deposits and not a 1 foot long dagger. Pop culture has really glorified neck slicing.
    Dusk Soul
    Dusk Soul
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Dusk Soul Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:08 pm

Actually I want FROM to rein in the magic boosts, it is laughably how easy it is to stack them that any spell is a potential OHKO, just Crown of Dusk + a good catalyst is almost enough, add in BDCR, RTSR or 
    Power Within and boom you are Dead.  Melee boosts are harder to activate and in some cases they don't even stack (Hornet and Leo, the bests boost to melee IMO are mutually exclusive). 

I don't want to nerf the magoc boosts; but make it so you can only have one or two (at the most) active at the same time.
    phastings
    phastings
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by phastings Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:43 pm

What if they made a ring that rendered you transparent and unlockonable?.. What nvm.

No it would be awesome if they made a couple of special weapons that scaled with the number of NG's. 

I think they should add a Zelda (nes) NG mechanic, levels are altered a bit, new enemies spawn, or even new lore on the next playthru. Demons souls had pure black world tendency which spawned black phantoms. It would be cool they implement multiple endings, and depending on how u beat the game, would result in a more grim NG+ such as pure black wt

Shoot, almost forgot: ability to de-level. Much like in demons souls. Perhaps tho a little harder to accomplish so it is not abused, we don't need a bunch of deleveled/maxed weapon invaders ganking level 1

Better yet, how about a 10 or so stat point redistribution upon NG+? It's fun starting new characters, but this way you can tweak them a bit to maximize scaling with whatever class/weapons you grew to love throughout the first playthru, won't abuse a deleveling system, and would have a big insentive to get to the end again for the next redistribution, increasing replay value
    SlothAlmighty
    SlothAlmighty
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by SlothAlmighty Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:11 pm

not sure if its been said, but another mechanic that would be cool would be a way to disarm opponents, especially in PvP.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 5:13 am