Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Cronotis
Lucien Lachance
6 posters

Great Magic Weapon Usefullness

Lucien Lachance
    Lucien Lachance

Great Magic Weapon Usefullness Empty Great Magic Weapon Usefullness

Post by Lucien Lachance Wed May 29, 2013 10:13 pm

With the Oolacile Ivory Catalyst, at 15 intelligence, great magic weapon gives 198 damage. Add that to a Iaito with 45 dex (413 damage) you get 611 damage. Compare that to the famously popular Chaos Blade with its 454 damage at the same dex and 99 humanity (not even mentioning the Iaito's superior moveset and the hp drain of the CB)and I think that the small investment into GMW is highly worth it, even for a simple dex pyro. What are your opinions on this?
    Cronotis
    Cronotis
    Addicted
    Addicted

Great Magic Weapon Usefullness Empty Re: Great Magic Weapon Usefullness

Post by Cronotis Wed May 29, 2013 10:26 pm

Gold Pine Resin adds 150 AR without needing any stat investment or a catalyst, but you have to farm it. Either Gold Pine or GMW won't do that much extra damage to anything with decent defense. I think a GMW buffed Iaito is slightly better than CB (until the buff runs out) mostly because it has a better move-set.
    Lucien Lachance
    Lucien Lachance

Post by Lucien Lachance Wed May 29, 2013 10:35 pm

Ah but does gold pine resin glow blue and make you feel all mystical?
    tofucactaur
    tofucactaur
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by tofucactaur Wed May 29, 2013 10:56 pm

I use it on my main build, small investment I have found worth it, I sometimes also run Dark Bead, the damage is not high for either of the spells, but they both work extremely well to intimidate many players, nobody wants GMW great scythe running attack followed up by a dark bead to the face. Apart from that, a build with 45 dex, a +15 great scythe, the little bit of extra damage from the GMW results in some pretty intimidating damage(I have killed many people with a 2 handed R2 with a follow-up R2).

This is the build if interested(I upped the strength incase I feel like running different weps, probably should not have bothered)
    http://mmdks.com/2iyy
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Wed May 29, 2013 11:13 pm

The problem is that any form of damage under 200 AR is going to hit for less than 50 extra damage on a given swing at most. Resin doesn't do much. GMW does more, but not by a huge margin. Imagine hitting someone with a weapon that has 198 AR. It's going to do a small amount of damage. Then add that hit onto your Iaito's hit. I'm not convinced it will do more damage compared to the Chaos Blade. If you understood the concept of how split damage applies in PvP you would understand why comparing a buffed Iaito's 611 to a CB's 450 is disingenuous. Nonetheless, many people do effectively use GMW as a resin substitute but the 48 extra AR may not be worth the stat investment and weapon slot for the catalyst.
    Jansports
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports Wed May 29, 2013 11:58 pm

If you make use of even one other thing that requires the investment into Int I think GMW has value. In the same vein, I rarely see strong magic shield, but it really is an awesome little guy at stopping certain things
    Myztyrio
    Myztyrio
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Myztyrio Thu May 30, 2013 12:24 am

There's this thing called split AR.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 8:49 pm