Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+23
sids__09
Marino.
Bowdownbe4me
drdrack
O1va_
Animaaal
kazumoshi
reim0027
crbngville2
TheMeInTeam
RANT
skarekrow13
goober0331
jaythibodeau
Acarnatia
Halicarnassis
Laveidem
billy_bayonet
Sentiel
Ghadis_God
wretchedsausage
AnCapaillMor
Saturday-Saint
27 posters

Why Regulating Competition is Bad

Marino.
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Why Regulating Competition is Bad - Page 4 Empty Re: Why Regulating Competition is Bad

Post by Marino. Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:09 pm

For the record .
    In Demons Souls it was a common rule to be able to eat three pieces of Grass and use Second Chance, it was pretty fun .
    Saturday-Saint
    Saturday-Saint
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Why Regulating Competition is Bad - Page 4 Empty Re: Why Regulating Competition is Bad

Post by Saturday-Saint Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:35 pm

Demon's Souls had much higher damage output relative to how much health you had than Dark Souls does. E.G. if I land a running attack with a Chaos Blade in Dark Souls I deal 400'ish damage. My opponent probably has around 1800 HP, if they're vit-gouged maybe more like 2k+. Meanwhile if I land a running attack with a Hiltless in Demon's Souls I deal 600'ish damage and can perform an inescapable combo for another 600+ damage. My opponent probably has 1050 HP, if they're vit-gouged maybe 1250 to 1300.
    TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:42 am

For the record, banning tactics is creating a complex rule. Complex rules are the worst kind of rules because they are subject to interpretation.

Rules that are subject to interpretation do not mesh well with "reasonably avoidable" and "enforceable"...especially the latter.  In practice this would tend towards banning items outright, but very few things would be banned.  I'm not sure even item based healing should be banned, although divine blessings/mushrooms probably should be since you'd need 3rd party programs to match DB spam.  Estus can be lloyds'd away and humanity has quite the animation time...that's open to some interpretation. 

It might be simpler just to ban things that have to be farmed, but then will be used constantly by either side such that there's no net difference in fight capability while adding tedium.  That would include item healing and grass, both of which any build can use but everyone has to farm...to what purpose?  However, grass might impact stamina recovery differently depending on build, and that's an argument to still allow it.

I think the definition could use some work, but I honestly couldn't improve what is already there.

Clearly!  Rolling lol.  I think we'd want to alter the overcentralizing language in order to capture the desire to not force people to only use one of a very few builds.  Since rolling is available to every build, it wouldn't fit the criteria anymore (and neither would, for example, using r1 big grin).  What an oversight!  This is why we need to make such criteria carefully.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:58 am