Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+38
Parrotperil
TehInfamousAmos
sunbro
Saturnine Knight
Quarik
Rin
Rynoa
reim0027
Yarxov
eninala
cloudyeki
DarkW17
Bamjam
cjmully
Imarreteet23
kiwi_commander
ChizFreak
Ignus-Dej
DJ_XHERO
dominoboy
WyrmHero
skarekrow13
Toastfacekillah
Forum Pirate
ViralEnsign_
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
User
Emergence
Dj-B-Man-Jr
Brokewilly
Yukon
Spurgun
barecanvas
befowler
aceluby
nsane32
Tolvo
strangejoy
42 posters

For the Glory of Alvina

befowler
    befowler

For the Glory of Alvina - Page 6 Empty Re: For the Glory of Alvina

Post by befowler Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:20 pm

Wow, all the way to firelink? how is that even possible. What weapon were you backstabbing with?

And yeah from other videos the convention is usually to censor the names of other players invading (the more amusing videos do it with pictures like derp faces or something if the subsequent fight deserves it).
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:27 pm

I kind of wish it could be like a shameful thing for the farmers to have their name in the video, but I guess yeah it could cause bad harassment from players who see their names and while they're scum it could cause a lot of bad issues.

Chaos +4 Rapier, I've seen if before where the lag causes them to keep moving as they are backstabbed but I was so stunned when I just saw him fly into the air.
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:38 pm

All the way to Firelink lol? That's quite the finishing move and a hell of a long way to go flying. I imagine his view of the whole scene was unforgettable!
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:47 pm

Well I've been knocked out of the world before, it was more than likely just extremely grey, until suddenly Fire Link haha.

Another thing I would like to talk about again is keeping the Forest Hunter name strong and proud. Now you might say that anyone in human form is looking for a fight but there are times when you can obviously tell a person is confused or new. Now it does seem right lore wise to kill them regardless, however I have to say either give them a fighting chance, help them in some way, or actually send them a message asking if they are there to PvP or are just going through for the boss. I have gotten a message back a decent amount of times with people saying they are actually waiting to duel, or just looking for Sif. You don't want to ruin our image, I've actually spoken with some farmers before and their reasoning for doing it is in that they were attacked with great prejudice by Forest Hunters. I don't condone their form of "justice," however I'd love it if such things stopped all together and helped lower the number of people trying to ruin the days of others. There are times where after a good duel I will jump right off a nearby cliff to give the person some souls so they don't just lose one humanity for the fight, let's try to encourage people to be nice in the forest. Though it is fun to kill the farmers and watch them complain, I don't think community wise it is great. We should rather try and bring others into the idea of having fun fights that are one on one, as well if you see two people duelling I'd prefer if you stayed back and watched. I can't tell you how many times mid duel I've had a hunter suddenly try and BS the host. Let's be better than the farmers, we can show some civility and be above that which we fight against can't we? Otherwise, what are we?
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:06 pm

I agree Tolvo, Fair and Square as long as the host is. Dirty tricks when they aren't. Either way is fun. Maybe, as it seems we are looking more and more like a user covenant by the hour, a code of honor should be written and incorporated. Although I think you may have just written a first draft.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:08 pm

I'll put the old Tolvocock on it if we do end up setting something up like that haha.

By the way with that Pyromancy set up with the Crown of Dusk or Crown of Ocatile, head feather things, plus Power Within, I two shot most farmers. So that is a pretty successful try out in the forest so far. Many times I've just funnelled people onto the bridge and as they came across hit them with a spur of great combustion to outright kill them.
    DJ_XHERO
    Regular
    Regular

Post by DJ_XHERO Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:30 pm

This days seems the forest growing strong when i invading a sinned farmer in the forest i see a member wheres in troubles getting farmed by 2 ppl i just run fast i can when i realliced he killed both

That happens like 5 times in a row i just cant do anything im always late xD
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:42 pm

Maybe we could start a rumor that if you farm too much, Alvina will punt you out of the forest all the way to firelink happy .

And yeah, stacking the spell boost items + pyromancy can be very effective. I find great combustion to be almost too powerful that way; I will attune it, but usually only use it if I am really pressed or am going after someone in particular that I really need dead. Using fire like that in my precious forest seems unthemely otherwise.

As for grudges, I suppose if someone is new and doesn't know what the forest is about, they might get angry about constantly being invaded by forest spirits. But in my view the forest is our turf and they are the intruders. It's not like you can just breeze in there, you either need to get past the hydra or get the 20k crest. If I run into a complete noob I will usually leave them alone since the NPC mobs typically get them anyway, but otherwise it is game on. The quality of forest cov has indeed slowly been going up; it used to be a training grounds for PvP elsewhere, but now a lot of high level endgame players are coming back because the rate of summoning is so much faster and more user friendly than invading the Kiln or even being a DMB in dark londo. At one point I had a high level DMB char with Gwyndolin's ring on and after waiting 30 minutes to get summoned I gave up and switched to forest cov.
    DJ_XHERO
    Regular
    Regular

Post by DJ_XHERO Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:57 pm

Yes the DM ring i waited all day long when i was farming and it dont sumon me anytime pretty dissapointing sad
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:57 pm

Ghost stories of the Forest, there's at least one guy in the world who will believe it!

Yeah I've noticed just how Over-powered it is, frankly though it is very practical I think I'm going to switch out of it. I just really don't care for spells, I'm kind of like the God of War, I prefer to rely on nothing by my coat of arms. Though Power Within+Hornets+G Halberd so far OHKO's any farmer I've seen.

I do wonder what Broken's opinion is on dealing with people who are not farmers or even there for PvP reasons, especially those who are confused new players. Because if I remember we actually have no limit to our invasions don't we? So we can invade infinitely up or down?
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:03 pm

I am kinda in agreement with befowler on this one - in that it is very difficult to just stumble into the forest - either way you come you either have to fight a mini-boss or spend some $$$ for key. Not saying I don't have any honor and I usually will not 2v1 a host (unless I need to vent from the butt whooping from the previous invasion). Like I said I love watching a good duel and I am willing queue up to see how a fellow hunter or red phantom does his thing.

But I can see the other side of the coin of hunters getting a rep for banging everyone who strolls amongst the trees. I just usually rely on my instincts to determine how I should act when I invade. If a host complains about me banging him - then I just PM and say next time invade I you I promise not 2v1 you (also will PM a friend request so maybe I can get a duel with them at a later date). There is one British dude who voice PM'd me and basically stated that all Americans are lower than worm fecal matter - now that guy is my enemy for life!!! I will bang him everytime I invade him!!

I haven't been using pyromancy that much during PVP - I think its time to play around with some fire to see I still got it (I am still a pyromancer at heart). Tolvo - great reseach on the various ways to boost pyromancy damage output.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:17 pm

By the way the Bellowing Dragoncrest ring which you can buy from Griggs also boosts it, I just don't have the Int to buy it from him. In total I think you can get somewhere along an 80-90% increase in damage from Pyromancies.

I can see what you mean about it being difficult, maybe that should be kind of the idea. If we do set up some set of rules there should be parts that are just up to interpretation, as we found the United States of Darkroot and create our constitution.

By the way I'm pretty sure the Bellowing ring does not boost Miracles, but the Ocatile Head Piece does. As well it says you are greatly weak to magic damage while wearing it, it is 30% I've seen online. As well it is magic defense that is lowered, not a direct 30% increase in damage done towards you so fire is not increased in damage towards you. So probably high magic defense with a crest shield would go well with this, parts of Havel come to mind.

By the way another set suggestion, Knight's Set. Not the Elite Knight, just Knight. This armor is vastly under rated if you ask me, though it is lower in defense than the Elite Knight it weighs less and actually has higher poise for some reason. So if you are looking to up your poise this is actually a good set, I find myself often using the chest piece when mixing sets. Fully upgraded it isn't bad defense wise either, I'd almost say the poise and weight set up makes it outright better than the Elite Knight Set.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:15 pm

with the oolacile head piece on my 280 (or so) magic defense dropped to 154, thats ohk territory imo, so just beware spell slingers eh tolvo? or what the loss is really big sad
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:20 pm

I would definitely avoid CSS at all costs. Again it is a pretty risky set up, but it can easily destroy any build while only spell casters are a threat. And even then you can always dodge the spells easily. I definitely do not use this for duels though, I consider it far too cheap.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:23 pm

Remember the most basic hint, don't be greedy, if you see an item in the floor, don't pick it up, it's probably a trap, if you see more than 1 guy, kill the host, don't try to kill the phantoms just for the souls.
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:27 pm

Tolvo are you on PS? If so, let me know your sl, I probably have a spare bellowing dragoncrest ring lying around on a NG+ char if you want one.

For miracles you have to use the sun's firstborn ring (which stacks with the dusk crown). The ring of the sun princess also gives some slight boost to miracles even though it doesn't say so in the desc, but the effect is weaker than the firstborn ring. However it does help with miracle synergy which can crop up in the forest fairly often given the high PvP rates, so if you are a gambler it can be a fun ring. You can actually wear both together with the crown of dusk and all three stack, but not for all miracles. It does work for WoTG and emit force though.

I also love the regular Knight's set. First slab I ever spent was on the Knight's chestpiece +10, which for me has higher poise than the elite (20), and also weighs less (10.9). It also looks good with almost anything, plus everyone assumes you're a noob because you're in "starter" gear. Hehe, surprise.

Finally, on the magic resist front, I highly recommend everyone read up on the in praise of shields thread if you haven't already. A warrior's magic shield +10 has 85% magic resistance, weighs 1.0 (!), and makes you look even more like a sweet, helpless noob. I was playing around with mine last night against Logan the Pantsless, and when I blocked a CSS with it while also having great magic barrier on, I took 22 damage. 22!! My health bar didn't even move and I thought he'd missed until I popped into inventory to check. I also soaked the daylights out of a full HCSM. My shield buildout now consists of a magic warriors' shield, and a fire target shield +10 (78% fire resist, plus you can reverse pivot chain BSs with it) - combined weight, 3.0! I can't stop using exclamation points!
    DJ_XHERO
    Regular
    Regular

Post by DJ_XHERO Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:48 pm

in my region elitw knight chest piece remains with 20 of poise happy
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:50 pm

I'm going to be checking that thread in a bit then, because if that is so I'm going to definitely have to start messing around with things like that. I do have a +9 fire Barbed Shield to test out haha. So there is a use to going separate paths with shields?
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:14 am

I might have some shield work to do. Also, I was just playing with fire in the forest and wanted to add my limited experience. Fought a few farmers and two duelers in about an hour of work. Everyone is a bit touchy around acid mist. Bought me space every time. I will have to test this but I thought I heard a breaking sound effect during one fight. Will go after some poor hollows to test at a later date. I did some testing on the storm spells and was surprised at the ragdoll effect it has on your opponent. Many applications there. All around though, fire surge (I think that's what it's called) is a great additional to the list. The continuous jet of fire makes is great for two handing opponents for harassment. Even foes with shields tend to back up. The ability to move allows for aiming and decreases the chance of being flanked while casting. The jet of fire can last a surprisingly long time too. Didn't get to use this on a bridge but think it would be very effective. Finally, nobody seemed very familiarly with this pyro.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:27 am

For harassment fire surge was nice my only issue was it when it came to the all out slugging match it just couldn't kill them fast enough. But I imagine yeah it probably scared a lot of them, and acid surge is more so a fun tool against certain builds like Moonlight Great Sword, since they will be using the R2 you can force their weapon to break, other than that for spacing it is pretty great as you mentioned.
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:57 pm

i like beating peoples faces in with my +9 fire barbed shield... it make them bleed pretty fast...
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:58 pm

A small little spell suggestion for dealing with Farmers, Force.

I've found this spell to be quite useful in a wide variety of situations. Using it to trick others into thinking you're using WotG, pushing people off of ledges, getting space, and a little dirty of a trick. See with the stagger given by Force you can actually use it, then pivot BS a person before they recover. This is a pretty dirty tactic, so I would save it for just farmers.

Just making a quick stop by, I feel like this thread has gotten a bit neglected due to the Forest Event haha.
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:30 pm

Tolvo wrote:A small little spell suggestion for dealing with Farmers, Force.

I've found this spell to be quite useful in a wide variety of situations. Using it to trick others into thinking you're using WotG, pushing people off of ledges, getting space, and a little dirty of a trick. See with the stagger given by Force you can actually use it, then pivot BS a person before they recover. This is a pretty dirty tactic, so I would save it for just farmers.

Just making a quick stop by, I feel like this thread has gotten a bit neglected due to the Forest Event haha.

Yeah - I'm going to start attuning Force more - since I have seen so many posts on its various uses. Plus the number of times u can use it is an additional bonus. Obtaining space will be the primary purpose (not saying I won't blow a farmer off a cliff with it). I invaded a fully formed Dragoniod (well I think he was fully formed) recently and he kicked my butt with that roar (i.e. Force) - I just could not get into my battle rhythm because he used it like a boss. Sadly to say he was even able to do that roar + BS + DM Bow OHK on me :shock: so I basically got my butt quickly dispatched. Force would have come in handy because it could have been used to obtain space decreasing the likelihood of a BS after his roar. Also, I did not have a long reach weapon (my old trusty Trident) slotted up - so this factor also aided in my quick demise.

Lesson learned :idea: - I refuse to let this type of scenario kill me again so Force will now be used!!
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:39 pm

I hate that stupid bow backstab glitch. But yeah I usually attune at least one force for the forest, not just for WotG mimicry but as you say you get a lot of casts with it, and of course you can deflect and stagger with it too. It's a great way to control the battlefield and create openings for yourself and fellow forest cov members.

I'm planning to bring a new sl110 into the forest soon, a full faith build (=50) which I haven't tried in there yet. My plan is to phase into the mushroom parents, lure people close, and then hit the pond with lightning spears for hilarious AOE zappage. Just wish there were a way to use full faith 50 sunlight spears.
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:09 pm

befowler wrote:I hate that stupid bow backstab glitch. But yeah I usually attune at least one force for the forest, not just for WotG mimicry but as you say you get a lot of casts with it, and of course you can deflect and stagger with it too. It's a great way to control the battlefield and create openings for yourself and fellow forest cov members.

I'm planning to bring a new sl110 into the forest soon, a full faith build (=50) which I haven't tried in there yet. My plan is to phase into the mushroom parents, lure people close, and then hit the pond with lightning spears for hilarious AOE zappage. Just wish there were a way to use full faith 50 sunlight spears.

That's the spirit - let the forest be your proving ground. Interesting tactic using the lighting spear AoE affect around the MPs - very nice!!! I personally use TwOP in that area - I have gotten those MPs to OHK so many farmers when get slowed by the miracle.

Keep up the struggle - ready to hear about that SL110 Faith-build doing some slaughtering!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 10:43 pm