Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+38
Parrotperil
TehInfamousAmos
sunbro
Saturnine Knight
Quarik
Rin
Rynoa
reim0027
Yarxov
eninala
cloudyeki
DarkW17
Bamjam
cjmully
Imarreteet23
kiwi_commander
ChizFreak
Ignus-Dej
DJ_XHERO
dominoboy
WyrmHero
skarekrow13
Toastfacekillah
Forum Pirate
ViralEnsign_
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
User
Emergence
Dj-B-Man-Jr
Brokewilly
Yukon
Spurgun
barecanvas
befowler
aceluby
nsane32
Tolvo
strangejoy
42 posters

For the Glory of Alvina

Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

For the Glory of Alvina - Page 7 Empty Re: For the Glory of Alvina

Post by Tolvo Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:54 pm

Actually I have a bit of a trick there with Acid Surge, Toxin, and Poison spray. See if you are against a group of three usually they don't get too worried about the mushroom parents, some can just draw the attention easily. However, I love to send them in a panic by doing this. You let them get close, take out a weapon for BS'ing, and your Pyro glove. As they charge in spray the ground around you, any who are inside will either try to rush out exposing their backs, or try to fight you despite the visibility. Now using lock on you can easily tell where they are and which way they are facing despite the fog, use this trick to BS them. A little secret, the BS animation does not negate poison/toxin, so they will still be getting the maximum effect of your spray on them, if the host runs in you can easily kill him while his phantoms cannot see how to properly help. As well they can lock on to the mushroom parents making it so that you are effectively one of three possible targets. If they intend to rush in and help out they may end up taking a stray punch or get hit by you, it is such a great cloud of death. You can even Firestorm, Tempest, TwoP, or Gravelord Sword Dance under this cover. I love to kill under the shadow of my own toxins haha.
    kiwi_commander
    kiwi_commander
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by kiwi_commander Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:02 am

Hey all, I have two PVP characters that can invade as one of them is a darkmoon (SL128) while the other is a darkwraith (SL58). I am wondering if I can join the event and help out.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:38 am

Either is welcome to join. We only discriminate against camping and farming in our forest. I actually jolly co-oped with a wraith last night in an after school special kinda moment. I came in and started looking around and assessing. The wraith came in and did the same. We turned toward each other turned to the campers and started running at them. He was a little ahead and took the first one on and I threw some toxic mist at the other guy to separate him from his buddy. Welcome aboard!
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:46 am

I have a couple questions for the hunter community. I was attempting AoE spells a bit last night and was a little underwhelmed with knockback from WoG. I went around behind Alvina's building and was able to get one of these off but the guy (who was wearing robes and dusk crown) was barely paused let alone knocked back? Is my mid thirties faith too low to get the most out of this feature? He actually was able to get an attack in before I was able to fully recover and assault again.

I was much more impressed with pyro AoE spells but was unable to fully test due to my own stupidity mixed with my second question. Firstly, I hid by the bridge near Alvina and was able to get a twofer on the farmers and took a huge chunk of their life. Unfortunately for me I had accidentally attuned Fire Storm rather than Tempest (I might decide to use Chaos Firestorm in the end). I switched the spell and tried to lure farmers down the ladder (ring of fog and hiding around that little wall seemed so devious it was hard to pass up) but literally NO ONE thought to search down there. I was able to see up to the path and noticed farmers walking right by. So the question is....what's the etiquette for this? Would it be appropriate to message a taunt such as "Man the view down by the river is gorgeous this time of night?"
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:52 am

I don't see anything wrong with a message like that, it is more so trying to send them to an area or give yourself an advantage. It isn't an insult or anything inflammatory really, aside from the fact that you feel at ease enough to type out a message to them. Also that person should have been knocked back a lot more, that sounds a bit odd to me. Did they have their shield up possibly for a split second?

Also though this computer can barely handle it I'm reinstalling Gimp, I'll make two quick little poster things then remove it from my computer and upload them.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:16 am

Anyone know the Color of Alvina's Eyes? That's kind of the last bit I need.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:33 am

Alvina squints kinda so hard to tell for eye color. Can't wait to see the results!

I would have thought perhaps a shield since the knock back seemed closer to what I have seen from hollow soldiers with raised shield. The knock back seemed a little less than what they do even. Making it even weirder.....they were 2handing the MLGS. I'll check the specs, maybe they were blocking and that thing has good magic block.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:51 am

I checked the Trophy, she has yellow/Golden eyes. Upon completing these I now remember why I stick to Pencil and Paper haha, I think I prefer the Nito one.

For the Glory of Alvina - Page 7 AlvinaoftheDarkrootWoods

For the Glory of Alvina - Page 7 NitooftheDarkrootWoods

They still need some words to go with them. I was thinking of making various versions.

"Do you think he doesn't see you behind those Trees?

Forest of the Damned, Help Nito and Friends destroy those Pesky Farmers."

"Her words are the Bark, Be the Bite.

Forest of the Damned.

Kick those Free-loading Farmers out of our Woods."
    dominoboy
    dominoboy
    Casual
    Casual

Post by dominoboy Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:15 pm

I'm not sure the alvina trick works for just any forest invader since I very often see no alvina there since they killed her first. AoE spells are also more effective near the trees since they let your enemies more busy. AoE spells can be rather useless at lone places because after the hit the host will quickly try flasking while you're still recovering. Is it me, or it takes forever to another hunter to invade? I usually take cover on the trees and in last on the mushrooms and if they're too strong I fall out the forest and run to the giants; it's funny because they get mad at me and when they reach the place I already woke up all the giants ahahah
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:52 pm

the trick you describe with wog not having its knock back effect is displayed in a vid (can't find the link) but basically the trick is an old carry over from demons souls, you tap your shield button for a split second during their attack you block the damage but do not get the block stun animation allowing you to keep moving and usually bs your target. but the timings supposed to be more difficult than parrying...
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:36 pm

This person didn't look that skilled but but maybe got lucky or got caught on a brick around back. Oh well....next time right! And this time it'll be Chaos Firestorm.

Tolvo....those are pretty sweet. All your slogans work well too. Go war propaganda.....I just finished a Gravelord one by request of DxV04 from the event thread. I will post on their covenant thread ASAP.
    Imarreteet23
    Imarreteet23
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Imarreteet23 Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:05 am

Hey guys, noob forest hunter here. Just thanking everyone here for all the great tips. See ya in the forest, i suppose

Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:50 am

@Lizard this video shows it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EVdvduhI6E

and these are the rest of his videos

https://www.youtube.com/user/PhantomEWGF?ob=0

Its all instructional videos on pvp parrying, bsing and dead angleing, but even if you have the techniques down, he might know something you don't, so i'd recommend watching them anyways.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:36 pm

I wanted to expand on an earlier point brought up by Tolvo for hide and seek tactics. Tolvo mentioned waaaay back I think that, with the flippopotamus ring on you can flip over the wall of the little bridge outside Alvina's room and to the back of the building, allowing for hiding/circling, narrow walkway fights, etc. I am BITTERLY opposed to using this ring. Not because I think it's cheap (because it's not) but because I think it looks silly (even for Shiva's bodyguard) to be doing cartwheels in a fight and my character takes himself too seriously to do this. So....last night between invasions I was testing this possibility without the ring. It is absolutely possible but requires patience and timing. If you aim and time a jump juuuuuuust right you will clear the wall. This can work when running in either direction but going from Alvina out you need a quick direction change to avoid falling victim to the cliff. The easiest method with the ring on is to actually angle your character while running at the lowest brick in this section. Your character will take a step up onto this brick which allows the second step up onto the higher brick and over. This also requires precise footing and practice as a third step without a direction change = free souls to the host.

I have also been stealing an idea from Kenshin's teachings. Running can be used as a method to separate opponents and set up a direct assault as well. I am enamored by the two handed R1 attack with the scythe and it's many applications so here goes. With very minimal practice, you can do a 180 while running and completely maintain speed. I have used this to run from opponents, switch to two handed and quickly turn and land a two handed attack. Often, it'll be a phantom that's closer while the host lays back but if they decide to separate this can be used as a great hit and run tactic or to engage a separated enemy unexpectedly. Quickly rolling forward can lead to a charge at another enemy with the same attack as well.

Another thing I noticed last night and honestly can't remember if it was here or not is a preferred path to change the numbers game. For effectiveness' sake, when using the trees as backup warriors you want as many as possible on the farmer as they can often be killed relatively easily. The last thing you want is to run to a tree area and have the farmers able to methodically kill them one or two at a time (unless of course you are close enough to assist the trees). The area hugging the wall is an ideal numbers changer. There are three (I believe) trees along the wall. Better yet, this are is relatively free from obstruction so farmers often pursue more aggressively since it seems like an easy path to the alleged victim (you). Often this will lead to a tree or two behind them before they realize their error. Best yet, this provides a great path to the clearing near the cliff which is chock full of trees. I have been able to make a 2v1 into something like an 8v2. I kept forgetting to break out my channeler's trident but......you get the idea.

Last edited by skarekrow13 on Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot something)
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:11 pm

I've actually discovered just by running you can make it onto that ledge from the bridge, you just have to angle yourself right as you mentioned. I don't like using it, but I do use the DWGR because it is just too effective against the farmers. It is pretty much a must have, you need the speed and survivability when dealing with them. As well they will all have it as well. I don't like to have to use things like that, but there's just no way around it really. Though I still tend to invade in full Eastern Set with a Mura to try and look the part of a hunter.

Also a little something with those trees. The Farmers will usually try and deal with them one at a time, but if they pull one and you rush in they will try to kill it. You can essentially bait them further into the group, since you will be the biggest threat, for now. They will go straight for you, as soon as you are dead the trees are nothing after all. So you can get a host or summon to accidentally aggro the whole group, especially if you get behind them then push them towards the trees, don't do this for too long though. It will expose your back to the others there so I only do this for a brief moment to apply pressure.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:35 pm

Broke, do you think we should add the special forest trick to this thread? It would seem it is getting posted around so it's not long before it is common knowledge, might as well get our tips and tactics with it to them sooner than later if people are going to be using it eh?
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:25 pm

Imarreteet23 wrote:Hey guys, noob forest hunter here. Just thanking everyone here for all the great tips. See ya in the forest, i suppose

Imarreteet23 - welcome to the forum and the resisitance. Just keep monitoring the top post in this thread for the latest updates on the mass invasion.
    Brokewilly
    Brokewilly
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Brokewilly Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:28 pm

Tolvo wrote:Broke, do you think we should add the special forest trick to this thread? It would seem it is getting posted around so it's not long before it is common knowledge, might as well get our tips and tactics with it to them sooner than later if people are going to be using it eh?

Tolvo - lets hold off on posting specific details on that tactic. I am trying to figure out a way to get this information to participants who will be able use it most effectively. Don't worry I am on it...

T minus 7 days till jump off:twisted: !!
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:33 pm

Alright good, I'm actually going to head on in just a moment and see if I can notice anything of significance that I can add to things to help out, there are always ridiculous ways to use the land.
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:44 pm

Yeah while some of the details have leaked out, it's most of the nuances to it that I found so interesting. I'd keep those to true forest cov folks as long as possible. As it stands, farmers may now start to know they can get lured down there, but they likely still don't know all the other fun things that can happen from that point forward. And who doesn't like surprises, pointy pointy surprises?
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:46 pm

Those are some good points befowler, maybe some of us should make a vote of some sort? I like being a bit official about things haha.

Oh the pain that is being a Modern Prometheus, +1 to whoever gets that reference.
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:22 pm

Stealing the fire of knowledge from Brokewilly and giving it out to the masses? lol
    cjmully

Post by cjmully Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:23 pm

Hey new forest hunter here. All i do is pretty much get raped in the forest due to my newbyness and i absolutly love it. Im at 52 right now and will get to at least 80 by the forest of the damned event would endurance and vitality be more important for survivability than dex for dmg? Im thinking
    V-30
    E-35
    D-31?
    or drop some dex for V?
    il be using washing pole hopefully +15 by then or lightning uchi if my dex isnt high enough for noticable scaling.
    Any advice from some more experienced hunters would be awesome. thanks in advanced
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:12 pm

I would say dex for damage as your vitality can suffice with a good armor setup but it depends on how you play really.
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:35 pm

I've got two builds in the forest right now (PS3): a 110 faith build, and a 120 int build. I've been having an extreme amount of fun with the int build now that I have the crystal spells on it. CSS actually tracks around trees, which is hilarious, and the build synergies really nicely with the use of the channeler's trident on the mobs/other phantoms. This has really helped me deal with my greatest point of anger in the forest: sunbro farmers. I love jolly coop and the sunbro covenant, and to see it perverted by sunbro farmers in the forest makes me rage like nothing else. I had a sunbro phantom in there actually bow to me and I just fed him a CSS, this is the first time I've ever been "that guy" when it comes to gesture exploits. I regret nothing.

At some point we should try a truce where sunbros refuse to coop in there, the odds of actually getting a noob making a run on Sif are so tiny they are almost all farmers. I refuse to take my sunbro chars in there.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:42 pm