Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
Aevun
EeAyEss
Back Lot Basher
7 posters

What is the difference between the damage from Gold Resin and SLB?

Back Lot Basher
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

What is the difference between the damage from Gold Resin and SLB? Empty What is the difference between the damage from Gold Resin and SLB?

Post by Back Lot Basher Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:01 pm

Using a BSS +15 as the reference point, with two characters.  One is a quality build with 27 Str and 40 dex, and the other is a Cleric with only base dex and str for the weapon, but 50 Faith.  The Cleric applies a Sunlight Blade, and the Quality build applies Gold Resin.  Are there stats to show the difference in attack power between these two?
    EeAyEss
    EeAyEss
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

What is the difference between the damage from Gold Resin and SLB? Empty Re: What is the difference between the damage from Gold Resin and SLB?

Post by EeAyEss Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:38 pm

Given that at base stats a bss +15 is 242 in ar, and 40/40 quality is 399, sunlight blade on the cleric would be more powerful than pine resin on the quality bss.

That being said... buffs r 4 nubz
    Aevun
    Regular
    Regular

What is the difference between the damage from Gold Resin and SLB? Empty Re: What is the difference between the damage from Gold Resin and SLB?

Post by Aevun Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:59 pm

The difference is YER LYIFE!!!11!!

*ahem*

I think the sunlight blade multiplies ar by 1.8 and the resin by 1.1-1.2
    StiffNipples
    StiffNipples
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by StiffNipples Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:35 pm

The Resin is a straight 150dmg, AT 50Faith with the Darkmoon Talisman (226adj) Sunlight Blade adds 406dmg.

Quality BSS will do 399dmg, Base Stats BSS does 250dmg.

So Gold Pine buffed BSS will do ~550 and Sunlight buffed BSS will do ~650.

However, imo Quality is better, you get as many 'casts' of Gold Pine as you want to farm, and you don't have to sacrifice stats for att, or a weapon slot for a catalyst, and when the buff runs out you still do good damage.

Aevun wrote:I think the sunlight blade multiplies ar by 1.8 and the resin by 1.1-1.2

Just to clarify, Sunlight Blade's damage is a multiple of your catalysts magic adjustment (1.8x), Gold Pine Resin is a straight 150dmg.

Darkmoon Blade uses the same system, but the has higher multipliers depending on covenant rank (up to 2.1x I think). It also deals magic damage whereas Sunlight Blade deals lightning damage.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:42 pm

*Got ninja'd by stiff lol, but our numbers seem to vary a little. Shrug 

Pine Resin applies 150 lightning damage to your weapon.

With a Balder Side Sword at 27/40, the AR is 390/150 (pine resin).

The base AR is 240 (according to mugen), and the SLB buff would add (1.8 X Magic Adjustment) to the base AR.  AT 50 faith and using the Darkmoon Talisman, the magic adj. is 226.  The total SLB buff would be apprx. 407.

Thereby the two scenarios are;

390/150 = 540

and

240/407 = 647.

Also, since both have to "split" their damage allocation, I believe the SLB at 407 AR would deal the most damage when scaling against lightning defenses as compared to the 390 physical AR of the quality build example.
    StiffNipples
    StiffNipples
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by StiffNipples Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:45 pm

Numbers diff as I was two handing the sword  Shrug

Nice work and analysis though, gives him both sides of the coin for reasons of what's best.
    Back Lot Basher
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Back Lot Basher Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:03 pm

That's great info...thanks guys.  I've never been a big fan of those Cleric and Mage buffs, for the reasons stated above - they are limited and take a lot of stat resources.  This is my first quality build and I'm really impressed with the versatility.  Probably the most varied choice of weapons I've ever had under level 100, and that composite bow really complements heavier weapons, since people don't generally seem to expect it to hit so hard.
    Animaaal
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Animaaal Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:09 pm

Np bud.

Imo pine resin is kinda underrated.

If you look at a Winged Spear at 45 dexterity with a pine resin buff, its much stronger than a Demon's Spear.  The difference in chip damage through the innate lightning damage the Demon's Spear has and a pine resin is 180/150.  That's only a 30 AR difference, and the Winged Spear out damages the Demon's Spear in pure physical AR.

The only advantage the Demon's Spear has is its reach (which is highly desirable, don't get me wrong) and the fact the lightning damage is innate.

As a matter of fact, I'd take pine resin over 30 faith or 25 intelligence in A LOT of circumstances.

Sorry for the ramble.

*edit*

The Winged Spear out damages the Demon's Spear at any stats actually, ie 10/45-27/45 - 40/40...but that's WITH pine resin.
    StiffNipples
    StiffNipples
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by StiffNipples Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:59 pm

I agree Animaaal, majority of the time I'll use Gold Pine over Sunlight/CMW too, mostly due to stats, also due to the fact that I like quality builds for the weapons it lets me use, and I can have 99 GPR if I want to farm, whereas I only usually would have 2 casts of a buff (more for int).

Pretty much the only time I'll use a faith/int buff is if I'm specifically making a faith warrior or I want the cool blue glow on my sword for if I'm making a spell sword rp.
    Hugh_G_Johnson
    Hugh_G_Johnson
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Hugh_G_Johnson Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:48 pm

Does anyone know the damage split on the sunlight blade buff itself?  Is it pure lightning damage or does it do some magic, too?
    StiffNipples
    StiffNipples
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by StiffNipples Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:33 pm

It's my understanding that Sunlight Blade is pure Lightning, but I've never really thought that it would be party magic too.

Someone with GMB wish to test it?

Would only have to take a poke, cast GMB then take another poke and compare the damages.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:16 am

It should be pure Lightning.
    Several Darkmoons that invaded me casted GMB as they spawned and it did them no good against SLB.
    Also, another nice fact. SLB has increased damage, as all Lightning damage does, against Iron Flesh. Not that it's used often, but it's still a nice thing to know. happy
    StiffNipples
    StiffNipples
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by StiffNipples Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:19 am

Was not aware of that, cool to know.

Wonder if Havel's shield buff has a downside like that.
    Sentiel
    Sentiel
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Sentiel Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:21 am

Since it covers you with something looking like stones, it shouldn't have any side effects. You see, Iron Flesh is free. You only need the spell itself, 1 Att slot and Pyro to use it. Havel's buff requires a lot of Str and it eats 300, out of 500 of the shields Durability. That's quite a high price to pay, especially since it works only on one handed attacks. Two handed will not bounce off, unlike Iron Flesh. On the other hand, I heard some people saying that it doesn't matter how you hold the weapon, but how much Poise damage it deals when it comes to Havel's buff. I never did any tests, but it stopped one handed Zwei swing, so I'm content with that. Also, you can hide Havel's buff by equipping Wolf Ring, or any other superior buff, which makes for a nice surprise. big grin

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 1:16 pm