Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+10
raecor14
Uparkaam
Werdax
Sleeprocket
TheWanderer101
skarekrow13
twigsterxd
SirArchmage
Soul of Stray Demon
SadPanda
14 posters

Pets/Summons

skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Pets/Summons - Page 2 Empty Re: Pets/Summons

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:42 pm

I don't think the resistance (at least from me) has anything to do with in game mechanics and spoiling that. I can envision pretty much any idea and make it fit with the difficulty of Souls and balance it. I was on the side of guns being a viable addition to the game based on the easy balancing mechanics and thematic fit with lore (if From chose). Not to start that thing again since it's all a matter of personal opinion on fit (like this thread).

The issue for me at least is, unlike a new weapon or weapon class, a pet goes against the atmosphere of the game by removing the aspect of loneliness. Any true companion smashes that apart in my eyes.

TheMeInTeam
    TheMeInTeam
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by TheMeInTeam Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:03 pm

skarekrow13 wrote:I don't think the resistance (at least from me) has anything to do with in game mechanics and spoiling that.  I can envision pretty much any idea and make it fit with the difficulty of Souls and balance it.  I was on the side of guns being a viable addition to the game based on the easy balancing mechanics and thematic fit with lore (if From chose).  Not to start that thing again since it's all a matter of personal opinion on fit (like this thread).  

The issue for me at least is, unlike a new weapon or weapon class, a pet goes against the atmosphere of the game by removing the aspect of loneliness.  Any true companion smashes that apart in my eyes.  

I believe a "can be lost forever" companion that's costly and for initial level characters impractical would struggle to dent the loneliness, let alone smash it apart.

The pet doesn't have to be something likable. It can be some horrifying zombie corpse that wants release from its agony, or if that allows too much attachment then make it a dis-likable creature that's being forced to do your bidding but clearly doesn't like you from a lore standpoint. Basically you're forcing something to risk life and limb (often losing both) even as it finds you distasteful from start to finish and only fights because it has to do so. You can even attach it to an evil covenant of some kind.

Try feeling a sense of bonding and a removal of loneliness with THAT big grin.
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Soul of Stray Demon Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:04 pm

TheMeInTeam wrote:
    skarekrow13 wrote:I don't think the resistance (at least from me) has anything to do with in game mechanics and spoiling that.  I can envision pretty much any idea and make it fit with the difficulty of Souls and balance it.  I was on the side of guns being a viable addition to the game based on the easy balancing mechanics and thematic fit with lore (if From chose).  Not to start that thing again since it's all a matter of personal opinion on fit (like this thread).  

The issue for me at least is, unlike a new weapon or weapon class, a pet goes against the atmosphere of the game by removing the aspect of loneliness.  Any true companion smashes that apart in my eyes.  

I believe a "can be lost forever" companion that's costly and for initial level characters impractical would struggle to dent the loneliness, let alone smash it apart.

The pet doesn't have to be something likable.  It can be some horrifying zombie corpse that wants release from its agony, or if that allows too much attachment then make it a dis-likable creature that's being forced to do your bidding but clearly doesn't like you from a lore standpoint.  Basically you're forcing something to risk life and limb (often losing both) even as it finds you distasteful from start to finish and only fights because it has to do so.  You can even attach it to an evil covenant of some kind.

Why can't we just have a better version of Undead Rapport? One that strengthens them and makes them follow you.

It would be like a pet in that way, but it wouldn't really smash any loneliness because this "pet" can turn on you.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:26 pm

TheMeInTeam wrote:

The pet doesn't have to be something likable.  It can be some horrifying zombie corpse that wants release from its agony, or if that allows too much attachment then make it a dis-likable creature that's being forced to do your bidding but clearly doesn't like you from a lore standpoint.  Basically you're forcing something to risk life and limb (often losing both) even as it finds you distasteful from start to finish and only fights because it has to do so.  You can even attach it to an evil covenant of some kind.

I'd still get attached to that winking

It'd be like The Odd Couple or Lethal Weapon. I'll be Mel Gibson. Minus the anti Semitic tendencies

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:57 am