Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
lost soul
6 posters

my lightening upgrade seems whimpy

lost soul

my lightening upgrade seems whimpy Empty my lightening upgrade seems whimpy

Post by lost soul Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:48 am

first I love this game.  just started playing it last month and find it mind blowing.

that being said,

I just upgraded my claymore to lightening and it seem to takes MORE hits to kill enemies than before.

why?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

my lightening upgrade seems whimpy Empty Re: my lightening upgrade seems whimpy

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:55 am

Scaling. Lightning, along with other elementals, got nerfed hard.
    MikailArksot
    MikailArksot
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by MikailArksot Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:57 am

Split damage.

If you're killing Silver Knights with lightning, good luck; they and most residents of Anor Londo have insane lightning resistance.
    Hart
    Hart
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Hart Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:57 am

This is most likely because of split damage PHYS/LTNG means that your total attack rating is affected by 2 resistances (lightning AND physical), so there is more between your sword and your enemy than before.

What enemies are you currently fighting? They may have a high lightning resistance, especially if you have only just ascended it and are still in Anor Londa.

EDIT: +what Pendant said silly
    Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Seignar Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:45 am

Lightning weapons trade their scaling for pure static AR. In addition, Lightning weapons have split damage types (Lightning and Physical), which means that each individual damage type has to go through a defensive stat, so your weapon is practically being reduced by the enemies defense twice instead of once. Scaling may also be a factor.

"Scaling" refers to AR bonuses your weapon gains based off the level of your STR, DEX, INT and/or FAI stats. Since you're using the Claymore, your old one would have gained extra AR (or Attack/ATK for a more common term) depending on the level of your STR and DEX stat (up to level 40, where its effectiveness drastically lowers). Since you traded it in for a Lightning Claymore, the scaling is removed and the damage is static, on top that your damage is going through 2 defenses.

This is mostly to compensate for the fact that Lightning Weapons have naturally high AR for no investment (they work the same at level 10 than at level 60), so they are only effective against enemies with low defence, otherwise the standard upgrade path is better. In fact, the standard upgrade path is usually considered the best.
    Odinbear
    Odinbear
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Location : Sitting here in limbo, but I know it won't be long. Sitting here in limbo, like a bird without a song. Well they're putting up resistance, but I know that my faith will lead me on. Sitting here in limbo, waiting for the dice to roll.

Post by Odinbear Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:15 pm

Was whomping the gargoyle with offhand lighting ceastus punches the other day with stuns and kills. Twice.  Hittin over 200.  I think I hit for over 400 on one of the SK too.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:25 pm