Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+14
KrazykevS10
Encore
Hart
Rifter7
GrinTwist
Soul of Stray Demon
bunnywink
twigsterxd
Tolvo
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Reaperfan
Zeta Prime
Slarg232
skarekrow13
18 posters

    About the Spam

    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier


    Posts : 13287
    Reputation : 542
    Join date : 2012-02-01
    Age : 30
    Location : The Forest, Illinois

    About the Spam Empty About the Spam

    Post by Tolvo Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:44 pm

    So I thought I should make a thread to sort of talk about this since lately we've been seeing a lot of spam in the Off-Topic section.  Some people are alright with it while others are not, it should be mentioned that spam and topic derailment does go against the forum guidelines in regards to hijacking/derailment.  Spam also falls under this due to the stipulations within that rule about intelligent discussion and discourse.

    About the Spam 02may-Monty-Python-Spam-sketch

    Guys plainly can we stop with all the useless spam?  It doesn't require any thought put into it and just takes up space while making it harder for people to converse with one another.  There are many times I will completely stop posting in a thread because it just isn't worth it to wade through the sea of useless posts to find the one I'm searching for to continue my conversation.  

    Every now and then a few words for a post is fine and not everything has to be a dissertation about why you like cats, but people you should be spending at least a minute on your posts to make them be of decent quality or further if you wish for them to actually add to a thread.  It is very off-putting to many to see all of this spam and it ruins some of the classiness of the forum.
    Hatsune Miku
    Hatsune Miku
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead


    Posts : 4239
    Reputation : 6
    Join date : 2012-10-12
    Age : 32
    Location : Sweet Devil

    About the Spam Empty Re: About the Spam

    Post by Hatsune Miku Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:00 pm

    Give me some time to adjust my gears from pointless spam, to more on topic posts. I know I've spammed some as of lately too, and see what your saying. Spam has been pretty abundant as of lately.
    I'll try harder to refrain from pointless spam.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator


    Posts : 10236
    Reputation : 410
    Join date : 2012-01-27
    Location : Ralph Wilson Stadium

    About the Spam Empty Re: About the Spam

    Post by skarekrow13 Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:02 pm

    I will add my agreement with this
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier


    Posts : 13287
    Reputation : 542
    Join date : 2012-02-01
    Age : 30
    Location : The Forest, Illinois

    About the Spam Empty Re: About the Spam

    Post by Tolvo Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:04 pm

    THank you Vinyl that's all I ask.  I don't want anyone to leave just readjust and cut back on it.

    As I said few word posts are okay sometimes I don't want to say "Every post must be two sentences and be on topic or you aren't allowed to post anymore!"  But it is a definite issue when the majority of posts I see are 1-7 words and often nothing to do with the main topic of a thread.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee


    Posts : 14641
    Reputation : 287
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 30
    Location : The Dark Side of the Moon

    About the Spam Empty Re: About the Spam

    Post by Serious_Much Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:16 pm

    I'm glad that there are a few people who agree the spam is silly.

    In my view spam doesn't even need to be short to be spam. It just has to be meaningless drivel. Not gonna name names, but this quote from the asking questions thread sums up spam pretty well

    "If your on a roll, are you butter? And why?"- this post is totally nonsensical, and honestly I don't understand why it would even come into anyones head. That's not the only one in that thread either, but just a recent one i could find easily.

    Please guys, just put a bit more thought into your posts. Yes an occasional short post is fine, it's just when you make posts that are meaningless it starts to get out of hand. Give your posts purpose so that they belong in this forum.
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac


    Posts : 1351
    Reputation : 51
    Join date : 2012-08-07
    Age : 31

    About the Spam Empty Re: About the Spam

    Post by Slarg232 Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:21 am

    Throw my vote in as well; this isn't 4Chan, we don't need to act like it....
    Zeta Prime
    Zeta Prime
    Obsessed
    Obsessed


    Posts : 454
    Reputation : 7
    Join date : 2012-12-15
    Age : 27
    Location : Iacon Vaults, Trying to delay the inevitable.

    About the Spam Empty Re: About the Spam

    Post by Zeta Prime Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:25 am

    HA!! someone who knows his monty python.
    sorry for spam. as of now I will work diligently to quell the spread of such reckless hate and nonsense.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster


    Posts : 3008
    Reputation : 135
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 31
    Location : Canterlot

    About the Spam Empty Re: About the Spam

    Post by Reaperfan Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:29 am

    I always really liked this quote:

    About the Spam 5mck4d10
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist


    Posts : 11501
    Reputation : 327
    Join date : 2012-04-18
    Age : 33
    Location : WPB, Florida

    About the Spam Empty Re: About the Spam

    Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:43 am

    Thank you, Tolvo. If this doesn't fix the problem I'll just keep bumping this thread as the need arises.

    It's very difficult to converse with people when a thread that was 2 pages long when you left it has grown to 8 pages, which sounds good right? No, upon further inspection it's 6 pages of wasted space.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier


    Posts : 13287
    Reputation : 542
    Join date : 2012-02-01
    Age : 30
    Location : The Forest, Illinois

    About the Spam Empty Re: About the Spam

    Post by Tolvo Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:11 am

    Serious had a good further elaboration on what I was talking about, and I'm glad to see that you are happy about this thread Pendant.  I'm hoping people listen to Papa Tolvo and that this avatar convinces them to take my advice.
    twigsterxd
    twigsterxd
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated


    Posts : 985
    Reputation : 31
    Join date : 2013-04-22

    About the Spam Empty Re: About the Spam

    Post by twigsterxd Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:59 am

    Someone in here on the weekend said that the off-topic section IS the spam section. I don't agree with that or else it would be called spam section. There's a lot of spamming and derailing of threads and to be honest, people are making a lot of work for Serious who I see has been locking threads lately due to spam, (no offense to other mods but I only see him locking). It DOES need to stop. To be honest, we need the bosses in here cracking some whips and slamming the hammer on a few people.

    THIS NONSENSE HAS TO STOP!!!!
    A forum we all love is getting ruined because people CAN'T follow the rules.
    +1 to Tolvo for having the balls to post this cause I've been talking bout it for a couple weeks but not really sure bout posting it.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier


    Posts : 13287
    Reputation : 542
    Join date : 2012-02-01
    Age : 30
    Location : The Forest, Illinois

    About the Spam Empty Re: About the Spam

    Post by Tolvo Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:03 am

    In regards to the mods each of them generally frequent different aspects of the forum.  Reim for instance reads PvP a lot more than Serious so generally Reim will spot things in the PvP section before Serious if it hasn't been reported.  If people reported things in off-topic likely you'd see more faces locking threads.  Serious is very interested in off-topic so he checks it often and reads a lot of the threads meaning if it needs to be locked in this section he is the most likely to spot it.

    It should also be mentioned that to my knowledge some of the staff are on vacation so Serious and Reim are currently the ones looking after the house while they're gone.

    EDIT:  Not to diminish what Serious is doing as I appreciate him cutting down on the spam and locking threads that get out of hand.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist


    Posts : 11501
    Reputation : 327
    Join date : 2012-04-18
    Age : 33
    Location : WPB, Florida

    About the Spam Empty Re: About the Spam

    Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:31 am

    Tolvo wrote:It should also be mentioned that to my knowledge some of the staff are on vacation so Serious and Reim are currently the ones looking after the house while they're gone.
    Oh, that explains a lot.
    Hatsune Miku
    Hatsune Miku
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead


    Posts : 4239
    Reputation : 6
    Join date : 2012-10-12
    Age : 32
    Location : Sweet Devil

    About the Spam Empty Re: About the Spam

    Post by Hatsune Miku Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:49 am

    Reaperfan wrote:I always really liked this quote:

    About the Spam 5mck4d10
    ERMERGERD... I love that quote.
    But doesn't that meme usually say something perverted?
    bunnywink
    bunnywink
    Hollowed
    Hollowed


    Posts : 1643
    Reputation : 95
    Join date : 2012-06-09
    Location : Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning!

    About the Spam Empty Re: About the Spam

    Post by bunnywink Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:42 pm

    Thanks for making this thread, Tolvo. Off-Topic is pretty random, but I think there is a distinct line between randomness that generates a meaningful conversation between members and randomness for post count (or whatever reason people spam threads for).

    Spoiler:
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived


    Posts : 2424
    Reputation : 39
    Join date : 2013-06-11
    Age : 26
    Location : Sitting next to Encore... "watching television"

    About the Spam Empty Re: About the Spam

    Post by Soul of Stray Demon Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:51 pm

    bunnywink wrote:Thanks for making this thread, Tolvo. Off-Topic is pretty random, but I think there is a distinct line between randomness that generates a meaningful conversation between members and randomness for post count (or whatever reason people spam threads for).

    Spoiler:
    I don't do it for a reason, I do it just because that's how I hold a conversation. Small things at a time.


    Although I don't purposely spam either.
    GrinTwist
    GrinTwist
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead


    Posts : 4185
    Reputation : 98
    Join date : 2012-07-22
    Location : New Londo Ruins, Illinois: Living in Tart's torture chamber

    About the Spam Empty Re: About the Spam

    Post by GrinTwist Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:52 pm

    This thread needs to exist, thanks mate. I'm hoping the spam will die down soon, but if it doesn't I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to bump this thread so more people will read it.
    bunnywink
    bunnywink
    Hollowed
    Hollowed


    Posts : 1643
    Reputation : 95
    Join date : 2012-06-09
    Location : Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning!

    About the Spam Empty Re: About the Spam

    Post by bunnywink Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:07 pm

    Soul of Stray Demon wrote:
    bunnywink wrote:Thanks for making this thread, Tolvo. Off-Topic is pretty random, but I think there is a distinct line between randomness that generates a meaningful conversation between members and randomness for post count (or whatever reason people spam threads for).

    Spoiler:
    I don't do it for a reason, I do it just because that's how I hold a conversation. Small things at a time.


    Although I don't purposely spam either.
    I was not targeting you with my post. If you are referring to your locked thread in Off-Topic, I never actually thought of your thread as spam. A bit egocentric, but definitely not spam.
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived


    Posts : 2424
    Reputation : 39
    Join date : 2013-06-11
    Age : 26
    Location : Sitting next to Encore... "watching television"

    About the Spam Empty Re: About the Spam

    Post by Soul of Stray Demon Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:09 pm

    bunnywink wrote:
    Soul of Stray Demon wrote:
    bunnywink wrote:Thanks for making this thread, Tolvo. Off-Topic is pretty random, but I think there is a distinct line between randomness that generates a meaningful conversation between members and randomness for post count (or whatever reason people spam threads for).

    Spoiler:
    I don't do it for a reason, I do it just because that's how I hold a conversation. Small things at a time.


    Although I don't purposely spam either.
    I was not targeting you with my post. If you are referring to your locked thread in Off-Topic, I never actually thought of your thread as spam. A bit egocentric, but definitely not spam.
    I know, I was more referring to in general.
    Reaperfan
    Reaperfan
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster


    Posts : 3008
    Reputation : 135
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 31
    Location : Canterlot

    About the Spam Empty Re: About the Spam

    Post by Reaperfan Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:53 pm

    Since the thread was locked, I'll ask here since it's about the topic, but what exactly about the Salty Spitoon thread made it a "generic spam thread?" It had a direction in what it wanted it's posts to be about, and regardless of how funny/unfunny or creative/uncreative some of the responses were they weren't deviating from that point. If I were to make a thread like "knock-knock jokes" where we just made up our own or shared that style of joke, would it be considered spam?

    I see alot of threads getting locked here lately for spam, some if not most of them warranted. But it's getting really rampant lately.
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived


    Posts : 2424
    Reputation : 39
    Join date : 2013-06-11
    Age : 26
    Location : Sitting next to Encore... "watching television"

    About the Spam Empty Re: About the Spam

    Post by Soul of Stray Demon Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:57 pm

    Reaperfan wrote:Since the thread was locked, I'll ask here since it's about the topic, but what exactly about the Salty Spitoon thread made it a "generic spam thread?"  It had a direction in what it wanted it's posts to be about, and regardless of how funny/unfunny or creative/uncreative some of the responses were they weren't deviating from that point.  If I were to make a thread like "knock-knock jokes" where we just made up our own or shared that style of joke, would it be considered spam?

    I see alot of threads getting locked here lately for spam, some if not most of them warranted.  But it's getting really rampant lately.
    I agree, an off topic thread dedicated to jokes like that, isn't necessarily spam. It's just a fun thing to do.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee


    Posts : 14641
    Reputation : 287
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 30
    Location : The Dark Side of the Moon

    About the Spam Empty Re: About the Spam

    Post by Serious_Much Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:58 pm

    It's because it was a completely pointless thread. Literally aimless. I mean even the pizza thread has more room for discussion.

    Apologies that you don't like it, but honestly there's no reason it merited a whole extra thread. Just do it in random off topic if you're gonna do it anywhere

    I'm cracking down on it because off topic needs to embrace discussion more. Sure it's fun, but it doesn't stop it being spam. If you wanna do pointless stuff, do it in random off topic. That's literally what it's there for now.
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived


    Posts : 2424
    Reputation : 39
    Join date : 2013-06-11
    Age : 26
    Location : Sitting next to Encore... "watching television"

    About the Spam Empty Re: About the Spam

    Post by Soul of Stray Demon Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:02 pm

    Serious_Much wrote:It's because it was a completely pointless thread. Literally aimless. I mean even the pizza thread has more room for discussion.

    Apologies that you don't like it, but honestly there's no reason it merited a whole extra thread. Just do it in random off topic if you're gonna do it anywhere

    I'm cracking down on it because off topic needs to embrace discussion more. Sure it's fun, but it doesn't stop it being spam. If you wanna do pointless stuff, do it in random off topic. That's literally what it's there for now.
    Yet when I did pointless stuff in there, I was blamed for spamming.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee


    Posts : 14641
    Reputation : 287
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 30
    Location : The Dark Side of the Moon

    About the Spam Empty Re: About the Spam

    Post by Serious_Much Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:07 pm

    I think there's a distinction to be made between what is random and what is spam stray.

    The fact it's got to the point where I have to explain what is and isn't spam shows how bad the problem is stray.
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Soul of Stray Demon
    Revived
    Revived


    Posts : 2424
    Reputation : 39
    Join date : 2013-06-11
    Age : 26
    Location : Sitting next to Encore... "watching television"

    About the Spam Empty Re: About the Spam

    Post by Soul of Stray Demon Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:08 pm

    Serious_Much wrote:I think there's a distinction to be made between what is random and what is spam stray.
    But me and Vinyl were having a conversation, and it was deemed spam. Similar to what is going on now between us. Not the same but similar. Are we engaging in spam at this very moment?

    Sponsored content


    About the Spam Empty Re: About the Spam

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:28 am