Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+15
ChizFreak
FruitPunchNinja
Doelker
PsychoCT
Zechk
Rynoa
kejsan
Yukon
Railage
CrackSouls
BartholomewWenceslas
Whknight
RANT
Serious_Much
laezyre
19 posters

If I Like DS, What Other games Should I Try?

laezyre
    Regular
    Regular

If I Like DS, What Other games Should I Try?  Empty If I Like DS, What Other games Should I Try?

Post by laezyre Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:55 am

Dark Souls is one of my favorite games of all time. I liked almost everything about it. However...
    I'm on my 3rd play through, and it's getting a little old. What other PS or XB games would you recommend to me? Thanks for the help.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

If I Like DS, What Other games Should I Try?  Empty Re: If I Like DS, What Other games Should I Try?

Post by Serious_Much Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:00 am

You should see what happens when you get to your 8th or 9th silly

I suppose another Fantasy RPG maybe? or perhaps some sort of hack n slash so after Dark you feel like a god..

This isn't at all similar to Dark Souls but if you havent played it I recommend you buy Heavy Rain on PS3. It'll be cheap since it's been out a while but it's really awesome as a concept.
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

If I Like DS, What Other games Should I Try?  Empty Re: If I Like DS, What Other games Should I Try?

Post by RANT Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:16 am

if you have a psp you should deff check out moster hunter, demon's/dark souls is easy compared to it.
    Whknight
    Whknight
    Upgrade Master
    Upgrade Master

Post by Whknight Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:27 am

Kings Field, not sure if you'll find the older ones though, but Demon/Dark Souls was born from it. Armored Core is somewhat similar in all manners, aside that you play as a mech though.
    BartholomewWenceslas
    BartholomewWenceslas
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by BartholomewWenceslas Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:42 am

One of the most similar games to dark souls that I can think of is Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. True, it's old and not on xbox or PS3, but it is a very similar play style, albeit a ton easier. I tried Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning and it has some similarities to dark souls, though I actually just ended up going right back to dark souls after about 4 hours of it. If I get more vague then the God of War series could be relatively similar, and in the same genre there's Castlevania: Lords of Shadow. I could keep going on, but I'm already stretching the similarities...
    CrackSouls
    CrackSouls
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by CrackSouls Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:08 am

Whknight wrote:Kings Field, not sure if you'll find the older ones though

Got any suggestions on where to get an emulator for them?
    Got to play the first one ages ago and loved it. Haven't had the opportunity since...
    Whknight
    Whknight
    Upgrade Master
    Upgrade Master

Post by Whknight Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:17 am

Sorry, no clue. I don't really bother with emulators as any game from the old days that I liked I still own a system and copy for.
    Railage
    Railage
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Railage Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:43 am

As one has already said, Monster Hunters.
    CrackSouls
    CrackSouls
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by CrackSouls Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:44 am

Whknight wrote:Sorry, no clue. I don't really bother with emulators as any game from the old days that I liked I still own a system and copy for.

Damn my youth.
    laezyre
    Regular
    Regular

Post by laezyre Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:00 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm definitely looking for a hard game that requires skill and strategy like Dark Souls. I hate mindless button mashing or games that are too easy or repetitive.
    Yukon
    Yukon
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yukon Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:15 pm

If you like Dark souls because of the boss battles I would suggest Shadow Of The Colossus if you havent played it already.
    laezyre
    Regular
    Regular

Post by laezyre Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:35 pm

Is monster hunters on ps3 or xb? Anyone try armored core 5 yet?
    Whknight
    Whknight
    Upgrade Master
    Upgrade Master

Post by Whknight Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:43 pm

Sony, and Nintendo systems, list can be found here. I have not been able to try AC5 yet because the rental stores in the area were idiots and didn't get even a single copy, heck they don't even have AC4A either.
    kejsan

Post by kejsan Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:51 pm

There´s a really old game called Arx fatalis for the pc and (old)xbox, I think it has similar medival/horror style like Dark souls but gameplay like elders scrolls morrowind, no multiplayer tho. Best game i've ever played.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlTaaLrMCiw&feature=related

Dungeon Lords (collectors edition!) on pc (also old) plays much like Dark souls, dark fantasy and level system like dark souls, probably as close to dark souls you can get. Really recommend if you have som friends to play with, can be a blast!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IdZ7SxuFiM

On xbox360, well there is Two world 2, its ok.
    laezyre
    Regular
    Regular

Post by laezyre Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:58 pm

I failed to mention that I haven't played Demon Souls. Is that worth a shot, or is it like a step backwards after Dark Souls?
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:14 pm

laezyre wrote:I failed to mention that I haven't played Demon Souls. Is that worth a shot, or is it like a step backwards after Dark Souls?

It's good, get it. In some ways it is better. In others not. You'll see for yourself. I think they just as good as each other, though I feel Dark souls has more replay appeal, Demon's is worth it. You'll get a good few hours out of it
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:34 pm

laezyre wrote:Is monster hunters on ps3 or xb? Anyone try armored core 5 yet?

monster hunter is on psp,3ds and wii, check them out if you can, specially the psp versions, theyre a lot better and a lot harder.
    laezyre
    Regular
    Regular

Post by laezyre Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:56 pm

Meh, I just bought a new PS3 and xb in the past year.
    CrackSouls
    CrackSouls
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by CrackSouls Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:30 am

Yukon wrote:... suggest Shadow Of The Colossus if you havent played it already.

On that note, ICO is supposed to be awesome as well. (prequel)
    I just got it but have barely gotten through the beginning, so far it seems good though.
    Rynoa
    Rynoa
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Rynoa Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:34 am

CrackSouls wrote:
    Yukon wrote:... suggest Shadow Of The Colossus if you havent played it already.

On that note, ICO is supposed to be awesome as well. (prequel)
    I just got it but have barely gotten through the beginning, so far it seems good though.

One of my favourite game EVER (ICO). But going from DS to ICO may be a bit of a shock, as in ICO you hardly fight at all and all you have at hand is a log. The sense of loneliness is much greater tho and the atmosphere is somewhat similar: I have it for PS2, maybe I should buy the HD version too...

As for Shadow, you got to have a different strategy for each boss AND you' re all alone with your horse. So that's a good choice. I love it but I find it more fun playing it with friends (it doesn't have multyplayer, I mean.. in the same room!)

I recommend Demon Souls and... well I still didn't find a game to play after DS :|

Edit: I bought Journey, I plan to play it this weekend, did you guys try it?
    Zechk
    Zechk

Post by Zechk Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:36 am

Yukon wrote:If you like Dark souls because of the boss battles I would suggest Shadow Of The Colossus if you havent played it already.

This. Shadow of the Colossus is one of my favourite games of all time.
    PsychoCT

Post by PsychoCT Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:38 am

Try the Metal Gear games they are more stealth based but each boss fight requires very specific strategies that might not always be apparent right away only downsides are they are old you can get the combo of 1,2 and 3 for ps2, as well as they are very lengthy in the cutscene department 4 felt like I was playing a movie half the time. Another suggestion would be Deus ex Human Revolution that one is more on character development as the boss fights are lacking but if you try to go through the game without actually killing anyone it becomes much more of a challenge.
    Doelker
    Doelker
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Doelker Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:15 am

laezyre wrote:I failed to mention that I haven't played Demon Souls. Is that worth a shot, or is it like a step backwards after Dark Souls?

You already answered yourself.... Go run and get it!!!! Don't waste your time here!!! Lol.
    Awesome game... You really should play it ...and own it as a part of your gaming library.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:32 pm

some of my favorite games ever: Dark Souls,Demon's Souls,Metal Gear Solid 1-4,Ico,Shadows of the Colossus,Zelda OOT/Majoras Mask,Shin Megami Tensei:Nocturn,Kingdom Hearts 1&2,Devil May Cry 1&3,Guilty Gear ACP,Marvel vs Capcom2. there are plenty other games i love too

honorable mention: NEIR,Persona 3+4,Catherine,Shin Megami Tensei:Devil Summoner2,Odin Sphere,God Hand,Folklore,Valkyria Chronicles,Super Smash Bros Melee,Fatal Frame2,Silent hill2,Zone of Enders 1&2,Shadow of Rome. god i have a lot of games i love lol. i saw a few people mention monster hunter, i actually got the first monster hunter(ps2) the other day at gamestop.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:28 pm

laezyre wrote:Dark Souls is one of my favorite games of all time. I liked almost everything about it. However...
    I'm on my 3rd play through, and it's getting a little old. What other PS or XB games would you recommend to me? Thanks for the help.

Diablo III but it's for PC. Others I can think of may be The Witcher 2, and Minecraft. Minecraft it's not an RPG but it's difficult, it has no tutorials (Xbox version has I believe), and it's very time-consuming (like Dark Souls, hooray!).

Personally I think that if you can't get Diablo III because your PC sucks/you don't have one you should get The Witcher 2 when it comes out for Xbox 360 (very soon).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 7:50 am