Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Carphil
Gravelord hunter
6 posters

Which ring to chose?

Gravelord hunter
    Gravelord hunter
    Casual
    Casual

Which ring to chose? Empty Which ring to chose?

Post by Gravelord hunter Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:25 am

I've decided that I don't want to use ring of fap anymore as I like to be able to switch around all my rings at a moments notice. Now what I want to know is the kind of rings people are using for pvp, just to give you and idea of what I'm looking for I have really no intention of casting too much magic (just weapon buffs). I'm intrigued by the red tear stone ring but am scared that i'll probably end up dieing too fast especially with no hp/equip load buff. So what kind of rings are people using for pvp that they find help alot (wolf ring maybe)

p.s. I will be dual wielding weapons so i don't have the option to parry (spear+sword) and BS are for babies
    Gravelord hunter
    Gravelord hunter
    Casual
    Casual

Which ring to chose? Empty Re: Which ring to chose?

Post by Gravelord hunter Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:42 am

common I refuse to believe that everyone who pvps uses ring of fap and hornets ring, that would make me very sad
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:44 am

Red tearstone is fantastic option, I would consider if I were you.

But if you dont like it, there are a lot of good rings that you can use:

Cloranthy ring, found in the great hollow, stamina buff, stacks with grass shield and mask of the child

Wolf's ring, 40 poise

Specled stoneplate ring, 25% more magic/fire/lightning defense
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:22 pm

For PvP, on my melee builds, I usually stick to Wolf's and Havel's to be under 25% weight and still have 76 poise with very little armor.

It's in PvE that I like to swap rings most. Depending on the situation I can go cloranthy, havel's, hornet's, rusted, serpent, DWGR, artorias, charred, etc. Not having the ring of fap clog up a ring slot is very liberating!
    Gravelord hunter
    Gravelord hunter
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Gravelord hunter Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:09 pm

yeah I really like having that extra ring slot for now im using dwgr and wolf ring but in future i'll switch it for red tearstone. thanks for al the input but does anyone actually use the red tearstone?
    Rassa
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Rassa Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:42 pm

I like to min max and there is just very little reason to not use FaP and DWGR. Every melee oriented build ive made without them has felt substantially weaker. But still Wolf Ring is probably better than havels in most cases, I'd do Black Iron legs and gauntlets + wolf ring for 76 poise. Or you can have a variation of giants legs with cleric gloves and your choice of 20 poise armor, or giants legs and gloves, your choice of 20 poise armor, and your choice of mask/helmet with giants helm as your go to when fighting great weapons. Using this type of gear set you can do havels rings + cloranthy, hornet, red tearstone, blue tearstone (you end up with like 700 defense with the 3 giants black knights) If youre using sorcery for weapon buffs you can probably jam that extended buff duration ring on too for some extra cmw. I dont know if it works on the faith versions since ive never tried it.
    Nate the Great

Post by Nate the Great Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:32 pm

what is the ring of fap? i must not fap enough to know...

also i just wanted to say, Gravelord Hunter, your avatar is awesome!

and i just realized there are ponies on the smiley selection :00046:
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:39 pm

Depends on my armor and my build. Pyro/magic/miracles = Bellowing dragoncrest. Need the poise (low stamina) = wolf's, PW = lingering dragoncrest. Rapier = hornet's. Dragon stone armor = red tearstone (or blue tearstone). Heavy armor = Cloranthy.
    Gravelord hunter
    Gravelord hunter
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Gravelord hunter Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:30 am

So i'm pretty much 100% done my build and though I'd just share it with you incase people were looking for fun builds which allow you to swap rings a lot.
    So i'll start with soul allocation and move onto gear

Sl120 (just for template, not necessarily staying at 120)
    Vit 44
    Att 14 (3slots is ideal imo)
    End 32 (found armor and weapon combos i like so i had to put 2 extra points into end to roll)
    Str 24 (for dragonslayer)
    Dex 38 (I want peoples opinion if they think i should go up to 45 ish and subtract 7 from Vit)
    Res 10
    Int 9
    Fai 30

now gear set up
    R1 Balder Side Sword +15 | R2 Darkmoon Bow +5
    L1 Dragonslayer Spear (pokepoke) | Canvas Talisman

Spells: WOTG (I rarely use this only to finish off people who are being annoying and wont die) Sunlight blade and Darkmoon blade (yes i have both and yes its alota fun)

Armor: Royal helm+10 | Dingy Robe +10 | Catarina Gauntlets +5 | Catarina Leggings +5

Rings: DWGR & Wolfring (74 poise is alot) or Red Tearstone or Any of the Stoneplate rings (depending on situation/enemy) or Clorathy ring (I rarely use this one cause i rarely have stam problems. Alternatively I will also go with QWGR and Havels ring than swap my chest and helmet pieces for golems armour if I ever feel the need to.

Really to be successful with this build you need to be quick about swapping rings, I usually have darkmoon covenant ring and will wait to see what I'm against before switching it, also requires knowledge of weapon types and stuff, sometimes you may to swap mid battle this can be tricky. When it comes to fighting without a shield whats most important is your poke you want to be harassing your enemy as much as possible. The more often you are poking with your spear the more aggravated your enemy becomes and they blindly rush in at which point you just hack them to pieces with your buffed BSS this often catches people off guard and more often than not will end the fight. So in pvp I poke roll poke roll until the enemy slips up and gets within BSS range and they are usually dead before they can even roll away.

Thanks for reading I know its long and boring but out of all the builds i've made so far i'd have to say this is the most effective at pvp.

Post by Guest Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:47 am

Personally I use DWGR & RSF while sometimes switching out for RTR & Hawk.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:24 am

@Gravelord:

The build looks good. Just one suggestion: have you considered putting your DSS in your main hand, instead of off-hand? I've actually grown to love spears, in PvP especially, but I really dislike having one in my off-hand--this coming from someone who dual-wields pretty much all the time, too! I don't like a spear in the off-hand for 2 reasons: 1. It's a terrible waste of a potentially great move-set. In the off-hand, all you have is 1 attack. No R2, no rolling/ running-R1s, and no 2H attacks; just 1 poke. 2. No parrying. When I have a weapon in my off-hand, I prefer it to be one that can parry.

What I would suggest is to swap your DSS and DMB. I actually prefer to have bows in my off hand (I find it easier to go back and forth from 2-handing to first-person view and back to main-hand weapon when my bow is in my off-hand). And with both the BSS and DSS in your main-hand, you can just alternate between the two depending on the situation. It's good for PvE because it's more versatile, taking full advantage of both move-sets, and for PvP because it can catch your opponent off guard.

Lastly: in the off-hand, you can't use the DSS's sweet special ability! winking
    Gravelord hunter
    Gravelord hunter
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Gravelord hunter Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:10 pm

Thanks for the suggestion I actually tried what you are saying for a while but not only did I suck at parries but I also really like the BSS move set alot while also being able to poke its been working wonders for me in pvp. Also the DSS moveset imo is just meh the R2 is really nothing special unless your tryna hit some pools of water lol

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 4:06 am